Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not annoying behaviour per se but joined a new gym recently. Having been at my old one for over 8 years, I was always going to notice anything different with the new gym. Two things kind of bug me:

1. They have 4 racks in that 2x2 formation. So if you're squatting, you're staring straight at the person in the rack right in front of you (insert here that meme of the monkey/puppet thing side-eye awkwardly looking away). No big deal but I'm just so used to having a mirror in front of me I find it so weird squatting without being able to look at my reflection to check form, see how much depth I'm getting, ensuring the bar is level across the back etc. It's a strange experience having to work off other cues to know if I've gone down far enough and/or if my form looks ok. I'm half tempted to email them to ask if there's any chance they'd install a mirror in front of each rack but I'd very much doubt it would go anywhere. Anyone else at a gym where there are no mirrors in front of racks and what you do to ensure form seems ok?
    2. With those 4 racks, they obviously each have one barbell but mounted on the side of the rack is a connection/attachment point where one can stick in a barbell to do landmine rows. It's a bit redundant if all four racks are being used as there's no spare barbell to use on the connection device. Or alternatively, if someone has a barbell in the connection doing rows then it means one rack is a bit useless without a barbell so it's basically out of use until the barbell is freed up. Again, half tempted to ask if they'd get a spare barbell to solve this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

We have this funny set up where you have to walk around or cross the deadlift platform to get to one of the squat racks. Deadlift platform is parallel to the squat rack, so if you deadlifting and someone is using the squat rack for benching (there's no dedicated bench press stations), it's either you turn your back to them and they be sitting on their bench admiring your rear in between their sets, or if you're facing them, then you're looking into their crotch, normally quite far into their shorts when they're doing their sets 🤣

The other day there was nobody in the squat rack, so when I finished my deadlifts and went onto the glute bridges on the same platform because it's saves me time not to set up again somewhere else, but soon later this older gentleman comes over to use the squat rack and I ended up doing my glute bridges, laying on the floor almost under him swaying above with barbell on his back (he was kinda wobbly with his squats)...

I asked management if they deadlift platform could be turned sideways to be perpendicular to the squat rack which would solves all those issues but no... He's not budging and not buying into my perfect logic but that's what management is about - full of BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

That rack setup sounds awkward af.

But as for the mirrors, they're actually a hinderance when it comes to learning technique - hence why you won't find them in the racks for weightlifting or powerlifting gyms. Best to just video yourself and compare that to a technical model. You won't need a mirror after a while. If anything, they throw me off now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Agree... lots of reps and film your sets until correct depth is ingrained. You could also touch off (but not rest on) a low box or med ball, but this can become a crutch in itself.

I've been squatting for 20 odd years now but I'll still film a set every few workouts and it's one of the only ways to keep yourself honest in terms of form standards.

I was going to say that squat rack set up sounds like flye fit drumcondra. And perhaps others.

Although you're right that people should squat in - facing each other - what I saw was that less experienced folk started squatting backwards I.e unracking by walking forwards and racking by walking backwards. To avoid that precise thing of facing people. Not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't really want to rely on a mirror to hit depth of have good form. It should be based a pre-learned movement pattern, and proprioception rather than reactively adjust to to a reflection. Those kind of racks are pretty much the preference for weightlifting or powerlifting gyms.

The no additional barbell thing is weird though. What about bench press, rows, deadlifts. Landmine attachment aside, I'd expect a gym with 4 racks to have ~8 barbells.

That rack setup is pretty standard. Double half rack, or double rig. Most high end gyms I've seen utilise some version of it. Either that or wall mounted half racks. There are more elaborate single sided set ups, but they are less efficient.

You can squat facing out. You just have to move the J-Hooks to the inside and stand inside the rack. This is where you stand if using bands, safety straps etc. In a true double half rack, two people can stand inside. But I think the double side rig is more common in chain gyms.

Ah, yes, you can definitely do it that way, and be facing out, but what I was talking about is when people have the hooks set up to squat facing in, and they get under the bar and walk it forwards out onto the platform... Do their set, and then walk backwards and re-rack.

In fairness, this is also how Rocky did it in his training montage in Rocky Balboa ;) Although I suspect he had the excuse of doing it for a better camera shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

The worst one I can think of, and this happens a lot, is dumbass cúnts stripping weight off a racked barbell from one end, causing the bar to flip over violently towards the other end. This will kill someone eventually. In my gym, I've witnessed this happening about 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months. The worst one was some girl noob taking about 70KG off one side, bar flips with huge force. Luckily nobody was walking past in the bar's path.

This is the thing that annoys me the most. When I suggested to staff that they try to do something to prevent it, like perhaps putting up visual-only signs (like a stickman stripping weight off one side in one picture, then the bar flipping over in the next picture...cartoon style), their manager supposedly said "no, because no other gyms have these signs". Facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is a BIG fûck off aerobic studio next to the cardio room, but this goon who I’ve just noticed recently, when they are finished on the rowing machine, get off it, put a mat down beside it, lie on it and start doing stretches, there are 5 rowing machines and when they are doing this the one machine they just got off is not accessible, they are inches from it and they’ll be down there doing aerobic stretches for the guts of 10 minutes before they feck off…..The huge aerobic studio is literally 30 seconds walk, from the rowing machines so……😵‍💫🤌🏻

Not AS bad but I also dislike when a person finishes on the bike or other piece of equipment, pull out their phone and bury their head, messaging, feet up grinning away…..few months ago im waiting for the lat pull-down gizmo and yer wan just sitting there, on it, after using it, having her drink, phone out for about 5 minutes, fûck knows why….

Finished exercising ? get off, wipe / sanitise and think of other people, their time, goals and what not….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just tell your man to move it as your using the rower. That's what I would do. Same for the user sitting looking at her mobile. Just tell her you want to use the machine.

• Advertisement

Seems kinda obvious right.

Yer man blocking the rower would surely understand if the others are all full and somebodys waiting to use it. Of course if the other 4 are also free, its not really an issue. Most things like that in the gym are situational.

It’s what I ‘ could ‘ do indeed. But it’s still annoying behaviour. I don’t go there to negotiate with or talk to anyone…Usually one other rower is free but apart from inconveniencing me, they shouldn’t be inconveniencing anyone…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

People on phones browsing while sitting on bench or machine doing a set every 5 or 10 minutes, gym staff need to clamp down on it asap it's ridiculous the idiots

I understand the idea that some people going into gyms don't want to have to talk to anyone, especially not to ask for something and maybe some of them feel really anxious about the prospect... But actually, it's better for everyone if people in gyms communicate, it makes for a better atmosphere and everything becomes accessible rather than people competing or queueing for equipment, and not really acknowledging each other while it's happening.

Your training is an individual activity, but gym use is not, really. We're all in there together, sharing the equipment, and it's more practical if people acknowledge each other, cooperate and have interactions. Asking to work in is reasonable, it should be normalised rather than seen as either an imposition or something to be annoyed about having to do.

Now, there's also a beauty to the solitary peace of training in your home gym, but there pros and cons to both.

• Advertisement

I do have something to give out about however, for the first time in a while...

There's someone in the gym - clearly a new person, because it's a recent development - who is putting hex DBs back in the wrong order. Not just putting the light DBs in among the heavy DBs, but managing the unusual trick of mixing up individual DBs. So you grab a set of 14kg DBs, and you might discover you've got a 12 and a 14. I'm not even sure how this happens, it's actually easier to keep them in the right order than scramble them so deliberately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not quite annoying behaviour from others, but moreso the Gym owners etc.

Drive me nuts when a Treadmill or Cross Trainer has an awful squeaking or slamming/bumping noise off it and they never bother to fix it.

Happens the odd time where I'd be 500m or 750m into a planned 2km run on a treadmill and I hear the banging through my headphones and it completely makes me self-conscious etc!

At what point do they say 'ya we better get that fixed'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Have you reported it to the gym reception. Alot of the time they ignore stuff until somebody points it out, at least in my gym anyway.

Yeh, now admittedly I said it in a 'jokey' kind of way to one of the guys I get on with there, with a 'jaysis that first treadmill does serious thumpung' when running on it. Whole place could hear' ... not sure if anything further was done with what I said though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Had forgotten about this thread but glad to see it's still going.

Didn't particularly annoy me but I just found it a little unusual: I was on the treadmill and the lady beside me had a portable fan plugged into the USB port on her machine. This type of thing:

She seemed to howvere spend more time adjusting it to try and make it stay in place than running. Was a first for me seeing it anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but saw a young-ish lad yesterday mixing a can of Monster with his protein powder to make his shake. I cannot even begin to imagine how disgusting that must taste.

I've never seen Monster mixed in with protein powder, but people have been mixing soft drinks with protein shakes for a long time... It's more of a US thing, though - google mixing protein with 'soda'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I used to know a lad, a hurler from down the country, that mixed his protein shake with a can of Amstel lager instead of water.

I mean, Amstel is vile on its own....

Earlier… there are two lat pull down gizmos… one is being used, second free one, I’m beaten to the free one by seconds , no problem, I begin to use another piece of equipment…

your man does about 7 or 8 minutes, I’m comfortable doing my own thing, until yep.. he stops, but out comes the drink, phone ( which is in contravention of the rules, unless paired with a headset / earphones for music ) and he’s just scrolling, texting and smiling away, legs crossed looking fondly at his screen not giving two fücks…still sat on the machine…. It’s all I want to do before home….. I end up doing 15 minutes on the treadmill… so he’s sitting there doing nada for 7 or 8 minutes…it’s not getting the breath break, I’d have no issue there.

Get your breath for 40 seconds, get up, get off of your arse, get the wipe, get the sanitizer, sanitize the machine and take your dumb fûck self to another piece of equipment, the cafe, or home, wherever…..

Y’know what could’ve been a good idea? Growing a pair and asking if you could use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

wrong post.

Irritating me big time lately. Mostly very young people around 18.

I don't agree with the tone of the post saying 'grow a pair', above, but - yes - you should have just asked to work in.

This is obviously a recurring issue for you, that seems to cause you a bit of annoyance.

You're putting all of the blame on the gym goers because they are taking an excessive amount of time on equipment, and scrolling on their phone, and are thus "inconveniencing" you, but I put it to you they might say they thought no-one was waiting to use the equipment after them, so they took their time. If you didn't speak to them, how were they to know? Are they inconveniencing you, or are you inconveniencing yourself by not taking the obvious step available to you to resolve the situation?

Post edited by Black Sheep on

I agree you should ask to work in but some people won’t let you.

Also if you are in a public gym you should have the awareness that other people might want to use the machine and not be taking the piss with 5 minute rest periods scrolling.

There’s no way I’d be sitting on a machine that long even if it was empty. You’re there to work out.

I’ve been training a long time, have never once had someone say that I can’t work in.

The only exercises where you’d be pushing your luck is on something like a barbell squat, where you could need significantly different weights or rack height.

But for something like a lat pull, it’s literally as simple as slotting a pin in a different hole while the other person rests. There is no good reason anyone could have for denying you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There's a few people in my gym who regularly refuse to allow people to work in.

This tends to happen on the dual cable machine. These guys are masters of taking four or five minute breaks between sets to gawp at their phones and wander off from the machine only to rush back and stop others from using it (if there's nobody at a piece of equipment it's a fair call to assume it's available for use).

Most people are happy to let others work in but this small number of people are just disgusted by the idea.

One guy will take a bench from the free weights area (which is typically packed and in doing so he's clogging up two pieces of equipment) and drag it over to the machine and spend 45 minutes at a time on it, a good 30 minutes of that is looking at their phone and telling anyone that approaches that they won't be finished for ages and that it's too awkward for them to work in.

The staff are useless for dealing with these type of issues so some of us have said things to him ourselves but the compulsion for some people to treat the gym as a personal space instead of a shared one is something that's crept in over the last few years.

There's no instruction to younger members on basic etiquette or seemingly basic use of equipment (one teenage lad broke his ankle lifting an overloaded trap bar a year or so ago).

Over all the basic experience of using the gym has gotten worse in recent times, a number of gyms closed in the general area leading to the remaining gyms being over crowded, great for the operators revenue but a nett loss for long term members jostling for space on the gym floor with gormless phone addicted young adults who generally either don't know any better or just don't care one way or another.

So while we all can say working in is the accepted solution in these situations, there's cohort of people who don't really understand the concept and aren't willing to accept they don't have sole ownership of equipment.

Glazers Out!

I've never had anyone refuse to let me work in either, in 20 years odd of training.

Anyway, at least we've established people saying no is still the exception rather than the norm. I'd still venture to say it's very very rare.

It does sound like a very chaotic gym environment. There could be liability issues for the gym, if it's really as much of a free-for-all as described.

Jesus.. I'd tell them exactly where to go, but I appreciate that's not something everyone is willing to do.

Your only options in that scenario is sub in a different exercise, or go to a gym with better culture where that malarkey isn't tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I don't mind having a word with people in those situations although I had one lad get thick with me a few years back when I went to use a piece of equipment that he then claimed he was using as part of a super set, he had been standing on the other side of the gym looking at his phone for a good ten minutes prior to this, plus the place was busy so super sets are a bit of a cheeky thing to be trying to do in that setting anyway.

I've spoken to the staff and suggested they put a few signs around about basic etiquette and not sitting on equipment for unreasonable lengths of time, this would make it easier for staff no enforce if they can point to signs stating policies as I understand a lot of them are young people themselves and probably not that confident in those situations.

Glazers Out!

Most people will let you work in but some won’t.

I will say it to people if they are at it every day and it’s stopping me doing what I want to do but I did have one occasion where a bouncer from a nearby club lost the head to the point where it was looking like it was going to end up being a fight.

He regularly super settled on 3 things at a time and no one was allowed near any of them until he was finished.

Similar to the other person’s experience he could be ages getting back to the first machine that you’d nearly have your 4 sets done by the time he got back.

Has long rest periods become a thing? I see it a lot now where people are taking approx 3-5 rests between sets. It’s fairly inconvenient in busy gyms.

3-5 minutes can be appropriate for heavy multi-joint exercises like squats, deadlifts etc. Usually more so for people who are quite strong.

For something single joint and lighter like leg extensions, curls etc. it's rarely necessary to rest that long.

It's probably more to do with people's addiction to their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never experienced a denial of working in. I try to train at quieter times anyway, but when i ask to work in, i base my rest periods around whoever got there first, i.e. I'll wait until they get their set in before I start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

One thing popped into my head and I've never been 100% sure if i was in the right or not.

Gym had two standalone benches; one comp style and another cheaper commercial style (no safeties, rigid pin slots). Both were free so i started on the comp style one. Two lads training together started working on the other bench but came over to ask if we could swap. I said no. My reason being that I was by myself and wanted the safeties and as they were together, they could spot each other. They seemed annoyed but didn't make a scene.

Was my reason justified?

• Advertisement

I don’t think you need any reason other than the fact you’d already taken the bench. I wouldn’t expect someone to give me a bench just because it’s the one I want.

Using my local gym as an example. One bench declines and the other doesn’t. I’d swap in that situation if I was doing flat but someone wanted to use the one with decline option.

3-5 minutes is pretty normal for strength training.

If somebody can complete all there sets with 1-2 mins rests. The intensity is pretty low - which is fine, if they are trying to achieve higher volume over the workout. But if they are doing the same total sets and reps are the 3-5min guy, then they are just going light and GTFO imo.

That seems perfectly fine. I'd also go for the better bench personally. Even if you were a pair of guys, they've no grounds to want to swap.

I have asked people to swap bars with jumping off a bench. But if they are already using it, its too late imo. Same deal here.

That's fair. But you'd also have probably picked the flat bench in that instance if you weren't going for decline.

(obvious the other could have been in use when you started but not now, so still valid)

it’s a working gym, unless they can read minds, they won’t be aware as to who is waiting for what. 🙂 . People don’t Q for machines in my experience they’ll do something else while waiting.

example …. I could stop using the leg curl machine, ‘see’ nobody actively waiting for it, say “ grand, “ pull out the phone and be messaging and looking at social media, (which is explicitly against gym policy and signposted) …I don’t… if I want to catch up on that stuff, as I always do, I do it sat on a chair in the waiting area, getting my breath, having a drink after my workout, then I’m grand to start home… I don’t worry about ‘ who ‘ is waiting for it just that someone could be so respecting their time and contributing positively to the general etiquette of the place… im freeing up equipment and sanitising it right when I’m finished….

btw I’ve no issues with a person taking a break mid use… but finishing using something then resting on the equipment for 7-8 minutes before fecking off or in fact even less is just bell end behaviour…

To the point about people not being mind-readers, well, I couldn't agree more - so it comes back to the question of, why not just communicate with them?

A polite, "Do you mind if I work in?", or even better - "Are you done with this machine?", a gentle hint, if you think they're finished and just sitting on the machine.

Sitting on a machine after you've finishes using it is pretty rude and inconsiderate. But I'd also suggest it's pretty rare. I also reckon asking to work in would never be refused.

Most of the time people are complaining about people using phones in the gym. They are referring to people using there phones while they are still using the equipment, ie between sets. Obvious if people are taking excessive rests it's frustrating. But people using their phone during a normal between set rest is perfectly reasonable and affects nobody.

• Advertisement

On the etiquette of how to use a gym, this should be mandatory for new and esp. younger users.

I don't want to sound like an old man shouting at the clouds here but the amount of late teenagers and early 20s lads (it's always lads it seems) who have no idea how to use a gym is both annoying and frustrating. Everything from not bringing a towel, neer wiping down after them, standing doing barbell curls and blocking as much of the free weights as possible (it's almost like a challenge to them to see how much they can block), to taking an eternity on a machine (as they spend 90% of the their time scrolling on their phones), to never it seems being capable of de-racking a bar after they finish to my latest pet peeve flexing and posing in front of the mirrors in a packed gym. And then when you point any of this out - no matter how politely you do it - you get a big sigh and a "whatever, I do what I want" attitude back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I think that a lot of people are cn#ts, and some people are just bigger cn#ts than others, and just don't care as long as they're okay,

Leave weights on the bar not my problem, want to use a machine later, sure I'll just leave my stuff on it till i need it

I'm old school and always use manners and respect others, but i think,especially younger people think that manners is a sign of weakness .

Today 2 things with under 20s happened to me in the gym

Going to walk down the stairs,stood back to leave a young lad come up the stairs, walked by me, not a thanks or a nod,

Coming out of the changing room young lad let's the door swing back into me,

No respect these days, when i was younger 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think for the amount of people who use gyms I cant complain, you actually remember the outliers. A nice one recently was another guy and myself wandering over to get a mat, he got there first grabbed a mat, turned around and handed it to me....awww shucks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Having good experiences the last few weeks with people letting me work in and vice versa. All older people 30-50 age group.

I have noticed people doing circuits taking 3 sets of dumbbells out of action which is annoying.

I’ve also noticed the leaving water bottle trick to keep ownership of a machine but walking off for 5/10 mins and using other equipment. I just start using it. **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I use a small community center type gym 1st thing in the morning after school drop offs, so I'm always sharing the gym with a bunch of elderly people. They have no real gym etiquette whatsoever and no real sense of personal space, but it'd be impossible to be upset with them - they're in there every morning doing both cardio and weight machines and having a chat - it's genuinely admirable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement