Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Creator (Gareth Edwards Sci-fi)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw this tonight. I knew nothing about it except it was getting good reviews. It really looks brilliant, but the story was a hodge podge of familiar themes. Was just ok.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saw it on the Cineworld IMAX. Thought it was well made. Special effects really well done.

Felt first like Anime influenced. Also like...

Some Aliens. Some (minor) Platoon/Apocalypse Now. Some Cyberpunk. Some Elysium.

Big world but a bit of a too-simple story for that world. There never felt like a hook to draw the audience in enough. It had moments where the interpersonal bits got very deep feeling but it wasn't consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Saw it last night in Ashbourne as was in screen 1. Today in same cinema in smallest screen, screen 3 hence why I went last night with my 2 boys. 10 year old gave it 9. 5 outta 10 and 8 year old gave it a 7 outta 10. Myself i would give it an 8 put of 10. Was a very very good Sci fi on an 80 million budget. Hopefully does well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Edwards needs to have someone polish his scripts before going ahead with them. This was very messy and had gaping plot holes in it.

In saying that it had one of the funniest scenes I had seen in a long time. A rubbish bin with legs slowing jogging like a middle aged man with bad knees and needs to have a crap. And it just slowly lumbers past it's target while they watch confused and it continues on to blow up a load of kids. And when Washington blows his cover by shouting into a walkie talkie "I'M UNDERCOVER" and is surprised his missus heard him when she's only upstairs.

I recently read a perfect description of Washington. He's Brad Pitt 2.0. A character actor that's being pushed to leading man status. I felt nothing for him in this and don't think he was cast well. In fact the only character that I felt for was the kid.

Overall it looked amazing but had a lot of annoying "why the hell did you do that?" moments. And a boiler going for his morning run. 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lol, I forgot about the "I'm undercover!" line. Or when Alisson Janney and co have been captured and are in the back of a truck, with one AI guard, not handcuffed or restrained in any way, and they just take out the droid when he turns around.

Also on the rubbish bin bridge, one guy goes out on his own and none of the AI droids can aim properly to kill him? Just stands there in front of 10 people shooting machine guns at him.

A black guy and a child walking around New Asia, the most wanted pair in the world, and no one recognises them.

How did one simple mine blow the f*ck out of that huge tank thing?

Just way too riddled with these kind of silly things for me.

• Advertisement

A gigantic tank the size of a ship crashing through the jungle and "us army" etched on the side. Don't know why I found that so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found the font they used for us army hilarious for some reason

That's it. The little lower case font stuck on.

It was like they had some screen tests and thought, "maybe the audience won't know if these are good tank or bad tanks. Stick 'us army' on the side, but not too big, so they know".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this on Saturday and overall i enjoyed the visuals and the stories. The Nomad ship looked amazing.

I really like the performance of the young actor who played the child. Some of the others not so much, particularly the general, something stereotypical about him.

As pointed out there were some plot holes, and how the AI story began didn't add up to me as intelligence like that should be able to talk and communicate with the US about the nuke incident and prevent a war.

Overall I enjoyed it though, was great on the big screen and it was refreshing to see a film not portray the US and its military around the world as goodies like they normally are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

not doing well at the box office, the marketing was so poor even with the actors strike, didn't hear of this movie till first trailer dropped, why did they not show it to critics earlier then last week? Critics have been giving it a 'at least its not based on a an IP', even if its isn't really original, 'good sci-fi' reviews, while saying the plot and dialogue is weak, but Im sure the talk of the visuals would have sent more people to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe Gareth Edwards could be convinced to do a Star Trek Movie. Who knows it might even be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How did one simple mine blow the f*ck out of that huge tank thing?

It did not do unless there was more than one of them I thought that too then we see the tank still going again later in the film so unless it was a different one lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not sure if he would be interested in a big franchise after Rogue One rumours it wasn't a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Totally forgot about this movie. Bland. I hated Rogue One too. But, the visuals are great. I thought it was going to be amazing when the Radiohead song kicked off, but that's cause the cinema sound was so good. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really disappointed by this. Visually it's super impressive, especially considering the budget.

The story though is incredibly simple and far worse than that, crammed full of barely-there ideas, absolutely titanic plot holes and comically illogical behaviour just to keep it moving.

Honestly if this is Gareth Edwards quality of writing I would well believe that Tony Gilroy really did rescue Rogue One from a bad fate.

I would say it's worth a watch for the visual design, but it's not a particularly good film and Gareth Edwards should seriously look at getting help with his next script.

Actually reminds me a lot of Elysium, which was another classic style over substance let down, but The Creator repeats the same mistakes, on an even bigger scale.

Overall I'd give it 5/10, mostly for the cool visuals, stab at an original movie, and the child actor was actually decent enough.

lets go into spoiler chat as soon as possible, hate using the dreadful spoiler tags

how did the guy who told him not to go native, go native?

yeah the bomb robot scene was stupid for all sorts of reasons, but did anyone feel like the resulting explosions were too small? compared to the size of the robot barrel or maybe there were supposed to be meant to be incendiary devices?

Did the monk AI robot say AI robots couldnt harm humans

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh man this was a very divided experience. Sometimes you just wanna watch something cool. On the one hand, this was a very handsome creature, full of imaginative production design and real visual splendour; this is what you go to the cinema for, to be wowed by scale. Or just imaginative nonsense like robot bombs that gallop at the enemy. It looked like a proper movie, and the FX were so spectacular I honestly forgot thinking of the many many simulant characters and their CGI heads. They just were. That this cost a quarter of Dial of Destiny shows something is deeply rotten in Hollywood accounting.

On the other hand, it was scriptwriting by rote, cribbing from about a dozen different sources without even trying to say or execute anything varied or unique. Which can be fine, not like Star Wars broke new ground in storytelling, but it was held together by some really terrible dialogue and a slightly disjointed plot. One that perhaps didn't hold up to scrutiny - but then maybe it didn't need to when it looked this handsome.

I do hope it has a long tail though and eeks out its miniscule budget and then some; I'd rather see something epic and cinematic rewarded, especially when audiences are roundly rejecting the overinflated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

cribbing from about a dozen different sources without even trying to say or execute anything varied or unique.

Isn't that movies in general these days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, though this was more naked than others; you could easily spot all the various inspirations being lifted and transplanted into the film. But these days, those movies don't have the decency to look good - while this looked like a proper movie.

No, the monk said they couldn't hurt Nermata,

The Creator specifically, so all they could do was keep her alive cos they couldn't pull the plug

• Advertisement

Why are these seemingly sentient robots leading mundane lives? How is New Asia / the AI robots not have more advanced defenses? Why is it police who come to react to the breaking at their most advanced weapon?

I think the simple rationale was they started with "does it look cool?" then worked backwards. Heck why did the simulants eat; we clearly saw scenes with Ken Watanabe's character eating food.

There was some inference America wasn't at war with New Asia directly just the AIs; but then I guess they weren't proper citizens of New Asia that they weren't protected from American unilateralism either? The script was a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Really thought this was gona be good. Started with promise but went nowhere fast. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really enjoyed it overall, it looks spectacular, as in multiples of that budget. The lead kid is absolutely brilliant...which is in contrast to John David Washington, he was bland in tenet and pretty much the same in this. The plot was a bit by the numbers and a mish mash of other films, but when it was done this well I didn't mind. 7.5/10

It only made its budget back this week, at 81 million; so far from a resounding succes, even taking into account that scant budget. Think the relatively bad word of mouth killed it.

Love this YouTube channel and in this movie's case, the montage shows how much of a visual spectacle it was, without having to watch the thing and its rather uh, "muddled" script.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When they were in the apc or whatever they told them to set a blast radius of 100m, so I assume their yield is configurable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just saw this was for rent so gave it a go, and I probably should have read this thread first!

Visually absolutely stunning. Considering the budget the VFX were the best I’ve seen in a long time.

Everything else though is a complete mess. The worldbuilding, character motivations and general plot is all over the place.

So it’s sort of an alternate history where AI has been around for decades but by the time the film starts there’s only one person who’s an expert in it? Wouldn’t there literally be thousands of experts after that long?

The US bans AI because of a defense system glitch and then goes to war with localised AI robots? They know these don’t have the ability to remote hack considering that’s the magic Alfie has so it seems bizarre motivation.

Also they wage this war with a space superweapon that they can just fly into another countries territory and bomb the absolute shít out of it with no political repercussions?

I could go on!

The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance had a similar theme of humans relationship with AI and was far more interesting than this. Disappointing.

Advertisement