Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about George's Dock Dublin?

• 05-10-2023 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

What is the reason that George's Dock in Dublin is drained?

It's been like that for a while now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

George doesn't want people docking their boats there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

drained for the white water rafting project fiasco and then left that way because of insurance issues around

anti-social behaviour and the kids from Sheriff Street using as a jumping in pool

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

But the Inner Dock does still have water and doesn't have these problems with insurance and anti social behaviour?

By the sounds of it it's more down to poor public sector thinking and acting rather than good reasoning.

One can hardly describe the status quo as something nice to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As this is AH - there could have been some casualties at Oktoberfest otherwise...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oh you said DOCK being drained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It could be just a place in Ireland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Oktoberfest event has not occurred for some years, and the dock had water in it at the time too.

I think this drained dock is just a big eyesore.

Also wondering how does the Inner Dock get the water? It's not connected to a canal? Or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Places like it in other European cities have been repurposed to make features that are attractive and add to the civic space.

DCC have managed to turn this potential into an eyesore.

What also surprises me is that George's dock is rather shallow. This means, it was never meant to be for bigger ships? Was this only for long boats and canal barges?

George's dock also doesn't connect to the Royal Canal, or only via the Liffey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It dates back about 200 years to a time when sea going vessels were much smaller than nowadays.

It's possible, that that's the reason. However look at St. Katherine's dock in London? It seems quite a bit deeper and still in use today.

So what's the point of keeping George's Dock anymore? It's only an eyesore? They could fill it up convert it into a nice park or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Totally agree. At least with water in it there was something nice to look at . I've worked in a building overlooking it for 7 years and since they drained it the dock is now just full of rubbish.

Fill it in , put a nice park in it for the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fatnacho

Plans currently to turn it into a heated outdoor pool facility. Obviously will never come to fruition so it will probably be left to deteriorate for the next 50 years instead.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2023/01/10/first-look-at-all-season-heated-public-pool-for-dublins-georges-dock/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think it has been partially filled in which is why it is shallow, possibly for safety reasons when the platform was built in the middle for the Octoberfest (it's also been used for crap Xmas markets and a few gigs). The local scamps still jump in the inner dock whenever the temperature goes above 10C. It was used for big wooden ships when it was originally built so must have been deeper. There was once a 3rd dock where the green IFSC buildings are now.

The rafting plan is dead, but AFAIK the Lido pool plan is just a proposal by an independent group, and is not a council objective (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

**** the locals, they've wrecked everything all along the linear park by the Convention Centre, including the sculpture of Luke Kelly multiple times. Bunch of ungrateful knuckle draggers all around that area.

As for George's Dock, there has long been complaints that the City doesn't have a grand square, a place to assemble, celebrate, protest, speak, listen.

Filled in, George's Dock would be larger than a soccer pitch, at about 83,000 sq. ft. You could fit 20,000 safely into it and when its not being used for assemblies, you could operate the square as a venue for festivals, markets, summer outdoor theatre, free concerts and events around Paddy's Day, fairs and circuses. And in the process of filling it in, you could fit it out for under-surface heating, power, water, lighting, a beautiful Dublin granite finish, lined with public art and meeting places.

This 10 year old layout at Granary Square, King's Cross, London, comes to mind as a good example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A long time ago like 15 years ago they called it "plage" as in French for beach for some days

They dumped sand into it if I'm remembering correctly and put in tables and chairs and sold drinks. Pretty forgettable but at least it was being used for something.

That happened at least one year, maybe two and never happened again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I have to work beside this and it makes me insanely angry that this public amenity has been left in such a state. I can think of no reason for its abandonment other than just sheer negligence.

Today I noticed a hobo has pitched a tent in it. He’s in for a shock if they start to refill it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is Dublin City Council's stewardship of the city in microcosm.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement