Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I hope this is the last world cup with groups of 5 teams. The games between tier 1 and minnows bring nothing of value and do a disservice to rugby. If they are changing to a 24 team WC, hopefully 6 groups of 4 teams will save us from more meaningless games and a round of 16 will help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If we don't win it I hope France do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The cricket approach is awful , ten teams in a world cup and its a format you can play a few ODI'S a week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cricket needs to reduce the number of teams in their world cup. Watching minnows/current world champs get beat by 9 wickets and 10+ overs is just embarrassing for the sport. Looking forward to Pakistan having a crack at European powerhouse Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

I realise that. There could be just as much a one-sided match at any point in the cricket world cup. That's the nature of cricket. It's pointless comparing the two sports anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

New Zealand - England was a repeat of the 2019 cricket world cup final. If you played that match again ten times over the next two weeks you'd fancy England to win at least a couple despite how badly they got beaten yesterday. Uruguay would not beat New Zealand if they had a hundred goes at it. It's not a good comparison, at all.

I compared the rugby world cup to cricket because they have a similar number of countries that play the sport competitively (around ten) and like rugby they use the world cup to give the minnows a shot at the limelight. They just take a very different approach to it and usually have some kind of short first round where the minnows would more often than not exit. They've changed this year's format though and it's actually terrible because there's not enough teams in it, the Netherlands are there on merit and have qualified at the expense of the west indies and Ireland unfortunately.

Week five just feels like an awfully long time into the tournament to still be watching this kind of dross. You could knock the tournament down to 16 teams and lose a week off the group stage if you now need a week off between matches, not many people would miss the likes of Uruguay, Portugal, Romania etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Noone should copy cricket, Who make it very clear that they don't care about minnows. Between making the tournament smaller to keep more of them out and not even allowing countries to play tests.

And as you admit yourself they put those pesky games against minnows at the start of the world Cup to get them out of the way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I doubt it. There'll be fewer matches between smaller teams, the top seeds will have an easy run as they'll be spread out between the pools, the round of 16 will be seeded and lopsided, 2/3 of teams will qualify. Essentially the current Champions Cup format which nobody likes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Uruguay and Portugal have been the best thing about this world cup. I'm pretty sure more people have enjoyed watching them than England, Australia and Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Musicrules

New Zealand have looked great against some very poor teams. Italy even stopped trying. Wait till they meet us in 2 weeks. We'll send them packing, they won't know what hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Does the suggested expansion to 24 teams include a round of 16? Because that would mean a far weaker tournament overall. Based on the current rankings (assuming it would be based on 1-6 being top seeds and so on...), you could have a pool of Ireland, Japan, USA and Hong Kong.

It would change very little aside from adding 4 teams to the tournament that are even weaker than the likes of Namibia. Pools would be even more about the one off game between the first and second seed to decide top spot with other games being non-events. At least in the current format, you can have a pool with Wales, Australia and Fiji which generates some level of interest.

A round of 16 would mean a glut of nations going forward to knock out rugby that are cannon fodder (Portugal are 16th in the world at the moment, Uruguay 17th). It would just be a different way of framing the tournament with 4 far weaker additional teams thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

There’s way too many teams in it, 90% of the group games are either uncompetitive hammerings or a slug fest between 2 minnows neither of whom have a prayer of qualifying.

The Fijian group has been the only competitive one really and that’s just because Australia were much, much worse than everyone originally thought.

I know given how few countries play rugby that to have a truly competitive World Cup you’d need to only have about 10 teams in it which doesn’t make it much of a “world” cup but surely even pairing it down to 16 would help a lot?

Would also help to reduce the length of the group stages too. It seems like last season since Ireland annihilated Romania. I know teams need rest in rugby but that just makes 5 team groups all the sillier.

So many hammerings and the group stages taking so long essentially robs the tournament of any momentum. The World Cup is basically a straight knock out tournament starting in the QFs with the group stages just being warm up matches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can guarantee you that any excitement generated for this world cup has been, in part, down to the bravado and exciting rugby played by Uruguay and Portugal. These teams came here to do their country proud and promote the game back home - and as Chile's own setup remarked, are going home happy and having succeeded in their aims.

It's a damn sight more interesting to watch than some of the tedious Tier 1 slog merchants whose rugby is an eyesore.

Dropping to groups of 4 when the tournament goes up to 24 teams will remote the week 5. A Round of 16 probably giving Scotland, Japan, Argentina and other Tier 1s extra time at the tournament.

Where are you getting it that Portugal would be in the round of 16? Assuming 6 groups of 4, we'd have 12 qualifiers from 1st and 2nd place leaving 4 teams to make up the shortfall. And that's presumably gonna come from the best 4 3rd placed teams - and that's gonna be Fiji, Scotland, Japan, Argentina, etc. If anything there are gonna be fewer lopsided match ups, not more. Unless Portugal get much better in the next 4-8 years ... in which they're position in knockout rugby will be earned.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You would need to watch rugby to understand.

Uruguay and Portugal have been two of the best things about this competition so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They have played rugby with no fear, an exciting approach that was fun to watch, and never let their obvious inferiority get in the way of trying to front up. So yes, "hahaha"... bravado. And they have captured the hearts of many neutrals with just a cursory glance at social media.

We get it, you don't want those teams in the tournament. But they're hear to stay and have more to give the future of rugby ATM than Australia, or Wales.

They got pasted in nearly all their matchs. I don't want to be watching dreck over a month into a tournament. It's shameful.

Ohhh childish comment. I have watched a lot of these games. Two of the best things in your opinion. But the competition has been a snoozefest so far and it's over a month in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

24 teams wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.

I'd stick to 4 groups, made of 6, and no team would have a bye weekend then.

Top 2 from each to go forward to quarters, next 2 to go forward to a second level cup, and bottom 2 to go forward to a third cup.

All knockout games after pool stage to keep an element of interest in all matches thereafter.

The sport would be on a bigger stage, more teams in it so more eyes on it around the world, and teams that would have had nothing to play for would now have something to cheer on after the pool stage.

The only obvious problem is would teams really be able to play that many matches in a row, week after week, for potentially 8 weeks.

• Advertisement

Then don't watch them!? Literally nobody is forcing you to watch the "drek" except yourself. These teams are here by merit, have shown potential, some more than others - if that's not good enough to look beyond the results then just sit it out til the matches you do care about.

I think England are drek to watch and so you know what I've done? Not watched the England games. The choice is ours.

I'm allowed not watch them of course. But I'm also allowed have an opinion on the state of the world cup. Not enough countries take the sport seriously for there to be a 20 team world cup. And expanding it to 24 is a joke. Here by merit??? Namibia is here by merit? Come off it. Here is the facts Namibia minus 218. Romania minus 234. Chile minus 188. Jokeshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The bigger nations would be able for it, they have the squads.

But you could have the 3rd place team playing the 4th placed team across the groups and the winner of each of those games gets automatic qualification for the next comp.

Then the fifth placed teams playoff a semi final and final with the winner also getting automatic qualification.

Thats pretty much the same amount of automatic places for teams to build on.

A further rule guaranteeing two annual fixtures for the tier two nations against tier one teams would bring on the development of these teams in the years between world cups.

Don't sealion. You can have any opinion you want - and my opinion in return js bafflement why knowing these teams are poor, you'd choose to watch them anyway when you clearly hate them and have no desire to give them contextual appreciation. "Hate watch" is the term for watching a TV show you don't actually enjoy, just so you can complain about it - never heard of the sporting equivalent.

And yes expanding to 24 will result in fewer minnow games, and more knockout games for tier 1 nations if you think about it instead of raging about the arbitrary number. The group stage will be shorter, the knockout stage feature more Tier 1 nations - it'll be a net positive for competitiveness.

Plus it's a bit disrespectful to say these teams don't take the tournament seriously - of course they do: their lack of experience or comparative training doesn't make them any less committed, or their intensity levels lacking. You only have to listen to the players to see how much this tournament means to them.

TBH given how often our own rare appearances in global sports tournaments occur - rugby notwithstanding - you'd appreciate that being the underdog far below the top table has merit to these smaller nations.

Here's the Chilean perspective, if you missed it.

I have no idea what sea lioning is. We aren't going to agree. Rugby isn't played seriously by enough countries to merit a 20 team world cup. And putting another 4 shite countries in will not help whatsoever. If you want to laud Chile as some sort of success go for it. But scoring 20 points and conceding 200 is just pathetic.

All I'll say is this: nearly 30 years ago Japan shipped 145 points to New Zealand at the 1995 world cup. Now they're a Tier 1, 1.5 nation who briefly had a club in Super Rugby. Think about that, and how, say, Uruguay can go from heavy (?) defeats to being competitive enough to beat Ireland on the way to the QFs in a few generations. Christ Ireland took 20 years to get here, after another perennial loser Argentina knocked us out. We've scarcely always been a top nation ourselves.

It's not about lauding for it's own sake, it's about development. Identifying potential and giving them the tools and access to be the next Argentina. Maybe Uruguay won't be, maybe they will. We won't know if we don't give them the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just curious who your top 12 teams are, if position 13-16 will be Fiji, Scotland, Japan and Argentina?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I took the top 16 ranked teams in the world, not based on the existing pool standings (the pools haven't even finished).

If it was 6 pools of 4, there's no way that teams like Argentina, Scotland and Fiji are finishing 3rd. They'd already be qualified in second spot. You're looking at the standings of the 20 team tournament and applying it to a 24 team competition.

Several teams in 3rd place now would become 2nd place teams. Teams like Argentina, Scotland and Fiji would be second seed teams and competing with 3rd seeds such as Portugal, USA, Uruguay etc. for second spot which they would comfortably win.

The third place teams wouldn't be Argentina/Scotland etc. They'd come from the third or fourth seeds in each pool. Based on current world rankings, that suggests you'd have 4 teams from Portugal, Georgia, Samoa, Tonga, Uruguay and the USA (3rd seeds on current rankings). You could even have a bolter like Spain or Chile making it.

16 teams going through in a 24 team tournament would be similar to the current Champion's Cup format which is roundly criticised by all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Actually yeah, that's definitely better than 6 groups of 4

• Advertisement

Well, whoever finishes 1st and 2nd in the 6 groups: which I guess will be the 6 nations, the 4 nations in the SH true enough, as @Buer notes my mistake was reviewing the 20 team competition; so the remaining 6 teams are a grab from Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, I guess Georgia as Tier 2s prime team, then 1 other. Not exactly a shocking drop in quality, Georgia notwithstanding.

So yeah admittedly you might look at a "shock" entry from Tier 2 but so what? It's one extra round and knockout rugby. More at stake in a once off winner takes all. I'd like to think by then maybe the USA has got its act in order by its own World Cup, Uruguay puts more gears in motion to make the France game a regular occurrence and not a once off. If Ireland and Japan are the benchmark it's a 20byear job so might be too soon.

Still don't think its this collapse in quality many are predicting, bar a couple of teams who'll be seen as the "best" get for a Tier 1. And then you get as I said, knock out rugby and some real shock exits when (say) Japan knocks out Wales. I just don't see a major problem, quite the opposite.

Advertisement