Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This was the standard applied in the planning permission approved by ABP in my housing estate. I've done my research and it's not just the first thing found on the internet. Now breathe.

It also represents, based on my own experience, the limits of what we should be exposed to internally i. e. 45db for passing aircraft. I find I can live normally like this but it's not silence and I couldn't go much higher.

But insulation for house at 63db only. Awful, absolutely awful. The reality is that the minimum target has to be 45 for passing aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,722 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you're last sentence sums up what many people think. All a ruse for money.

They should be told directly it's no one else problem they bought homes close to the airport.

I have no sympathy for any of them.

I don’t believe anyone has looked for your sympathy. Odd thing to have added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think your last sentence sums it up. No sympathy, no duty of care, real citizens are just an inconvenience.

The easy way out is to put all the blame on the resident but the resident is part of a society (and a planning system etc) that provides boundaries that keep everyone safe e.g. 'You can't build your house there, you can't fly your plane there or if you do you'll have to pay x to insulate those houses'. They have a reasonable expectation of proper input from other stakeholders and a reasonable expectation that their health and safety isn't going to be trampled on.

Saying you have no sympathy for people who bought close to the airport is a complete cop out. It's much more complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

a lot of mis-info here in the thread...

The Dublin Airport Noise Act (2019) is available for people to read

Aircraft Noise (Dublin Airport) Regulation Act 2019 (irishstatutebook.ie)

If Dublin Airport don't follow this, you have a legal case.

The act is pretty much a copy and paste of the EU noise directive 2002/49/EC

Environmental Noise Directive (END) (era-comm.eu)

which is actually stricter than the mentioned British Standard BS8233

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

A framework Heathrow follows (they follow the EU directive, rather than the British Standard) which could be adopted by DAA

Noise_Action_Plan_2019-2023.pdf (heathrow.com)

edit: 2024-28 edition

Heathrow_Noise_Action_Plan_2024-2028-Consultation.pdf

I still think deciding to live near an airport, then moaning about the noise, is quite silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I think Newark has a sharpish left when taking off to the south so not unusual and no topography issues there

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Not the only one, there are literally dozens of international airports around the world that immediate turns. Plenty of parallel operations as well.

Also when new noise contours are produced I fear there’s going to be a whole heap load of bandwagoners disappointed to find they are way outside what’s considered to be “disturbed” by aircraft noise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I just watched the programme and it contributed nothing in terms of a serous and balanced analysis. Hard to listen to the faux-concern from MO'C, and the guy who produced the package before the KJ interview clearly knew nothing about aviation other than what the people he spoke to told him. The simulator exercise was daft and demonstrated nothing in real-world terms. The PPL guy seemed to be getting a kick out of the whole thing too.

If the programme was to shed any real light on matters, it would have needed input from other players such as the regulator/s, the military and AirNav Ireland. In times gone by, RTE regularly used David Learmount (ex-Flight International) to bring an expert and impartial insight on aviation matters. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he generally knew what he was taking about and didn't have "skin in the game", as all of those in the RTE programme had.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Buy land to build, or a pre-existing house, at a price that reflects the impact of the nearby airport, yet expect somebody else to then pay for improvements to the house to offset the impact of the aforementioned airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Does anyone have any estimates of when we could expect a decision from ABP regarding the appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Buying such a house is not silly, allowing people get away with it is silly. But people buy houses on through roads and then demand traffic calming, so this kind of carry on has form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

This is exactly what it does it curves back over both Rathoat and Ashbourne that was not the proposed route and they gave the people who live there no warning about it.

Departures off 28L have turned right after takeoff for 30+ years. That includes the days of BAC 1-11s and B737-200s. Were they inaudible to those living in North Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I am living in Ashbourne and its only since the new north runway has come on board and this right turn can only be done at a lower altitude so its bringing a lot of noise and its constant during the night. It was not supposed to fly over Ashbourne or Rathoat and they got planned based on a completely different route and its impacting people who live in both areas.

The North Runway is closed from 2300-0700 local. Whatever you are hearing during the night has nothing to do with it.

Planning has nothing to do with departure routes, how many times does this have to be said on this forum. Aircraft have been crossing both of those towns for decade upon decade including when landing on 10. They are in fact lower when landing than taking off.

jesus even the departure noise contour will never ever take in either of those towns. People in either of them have zero chance off getting routes changed or any form of noise insulation.

Spot check on 2 departures, ryr passed overhead rathoath at 8000ft+ and an American 787 passed at just under 7000ft.

Spot check of 2 off 28L a Ryanair crossed Rathoath at 8000ft and a Privilege 777 passed inside Ashbourne at 3500ft.

but yeah noise off the north runway

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

The North Runway is closed at night from 23:00-07:00, the only noise you’re hearing at night is off the south runway on the exact same routes and flight paths that have been there for 34+ years, if anything it should be considerably less now at night than 5/6 years ago given the amount of NEOs and MAXs flying out of Dublin and will only keep going that way which is what I believe the DAA is arguing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

We've been living in Ashbourne for over 30 years, and I've been aware of exactly what's going on for most of that time, and I've been more than involved with aviation in various ways.

Departures off the southern runway were not an issue most of the time, and yes, it was a lot worse when there were 737-200's, BAC 1-11's and MD series aircraft operating, but a fair percentage of them turned left on departure, or went straight out for a while before turning back on easterly headings

What's changed things is that the departures off 28R are effectively a lot closer to Ashbourne and Ratoath at the point of rotation, so they don't have the same air distance to achieve the same height as the departures off 28L, and because they're turning, that reduces the climb performance more, so what's happening now is that a significant number of the wide body flights are coming over Ashbourne/Ratoath considerbly lower and slower than they used to, and the other factor that's influenced things is that there are a lot more wide body aircraft now, due to the middle east flights, Turkish are operating 330's on some days, and there's a lot more wide body aircraft operating on the Atlantic now, and cargo aircraft operating at night are larger than they used to be.

Because of the way they're being routed now, they are a lot lower and slower than they used to be before 28R was opened, we're regularly seeing 330's at not much more than 4000 Ft, and they're only just getting into the acceleration phase because they've done more than one turn, they're often effectively flying a S turn out towards Oldtown, and then back on to a more North Westerly heading, or even Northerly, depending on where their trans atlantic track entry point is.

Departures off 28R are about a mile further north than the equivalent departure off 28L, so the easterly departures are closer, slower and lower as they're going out over Ashbourne and Ratoath, and like it or not, this area is the second largest urban area in Meath after Navan, we're not talking a little tiny village here, but from a local authority aspect, Fingal CC neither knows or cares about Ashbourne and it's hinterland, we saw that very clearly a few years ago when they were proposing building a super dump within a mile of Ashbourne, but that plan had to be abandoned because of the proximity of the low level corridor in and out of the airport, which is heavily used by smaller aircraft and helicopters, there was too high a risk of bird strikes, and I wonder if there are people in Fingal CC who's not forgiven this area for opposing their plans, their waste disposal problems have not gone away like they would have if they'd got their super dump literally on our doorstep.

i don't have a Db meter to be able to get definitive noise levels, but we are most definitely more aware of departures since 28R opened, and we're aware of them for longer than we used to be, but I'm not going to go as far as to say that it's intrusive. Closer to the airport, noise will be intrusive, not in the way it used to be when the older aircraft were operating, but it would be fair to say that DAA/IAA have been less than open and up front about what's happened, and the departure routes are not what they implied when things like planning were being dealt with.

The problem with left turns off 28L is not that it could cause issues with Baldonnel and Weston, under normal circumstances, it wouldn't, but where things get complicated is if a departing aircraft has an engine failure, as that impacts the climb and speed performance, and the proximity of the Wicklow hills is also a factor in working out those sorts of issues, and if an aircraft does have an engine out issue on departure, the last thing they then need is a TCAS alert as a result of conflcting with other traffic while they're already working hard to keep everything operating in non normal circumstances, the last thing they need is to be told to climb to resolve a TCAS alert, when they may already be operating at the maximum capability of the airframe as a result of the other issues they're dealing with. Real engine failures don't happen very often, but when they do, that tends to be significant, partly because the crew of the aircraft are not used to dealing with it, and a failure in the sim is NOT the same as a real failure, and the last thing they need is additional complications as a result of terrain or conflicting traffic.

As for how this will all play out, I'm not going to speculate on that, this country has a track record of being very good at getting it wrong, and what has to be recognised is that as an island, we need airports, unless someone is going to find billions of Euro to build a tunnel across to the UK, and if that were to happen, the problem then will be that the UK is proving itself unable to deliver on the infrastructure that would be needed to make a tunnel viable. Then, there's the whole issue of the decision by the UK to turn it's back on the EU, and the problems with that are far from resolved, and are only going to get worse over time.

DAA/IAA and national government are all going to have to be involved with resolving the issues that are evident with the airport, but the chances of an acceptable solution are not good, given that most politicians don't have any long term views, they are only interested in projects that will deliver votes at the next election, so there's no such thing as long term solutions any more, and Dublin Airport desperately needs some long term thinking and planning, but where that's going to come from is anybody's guess.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

this is ridiculous.. its not DAA decision to have a third wirid transport system, that's a government one. So why should the numbers be capped due to government incompetence?

Going by that, I guess it’s very likely fingal will refuse the application the daa are about to lodge to expand the terminals to 40m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

Rubbish.

DAA, and Aer Rianta before, has made no effort to help develop Dublin Airport into a transport hub. If we are honest, lobbying and working with politicians / the different governments departments to deliver some kind of rail connection (metro, LUAS, heavy rail or even shuttle to the nearest DART) has never been a strategic priority for DAA management.

Even the transport elements directly controlled by DAA are third world such as the coach station (with fewer facilities than a village GAA pitch) and the tendering for the express bus connections to the city (resulting in a significantly worse level of service than 5-10 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

ryanair have a tweet about the he noise but can’t seem to put here it’s funny

Probably not allowed due to having facts in it.

People are at a point where seeing an airplane is upsetting them, not realising that said airplane is actually making less noise than they, the person beside them talking, the car passing by, the washing machine washing etc is making.

Bring facts not opinions to the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Here it is, there's an issue on boards embedding links, that's why you can't post a twitter link the old way

https://x.com/Ryanair/status/1710193689484558505?s=20

Dr has a comment left underneath it also. “Illegal flight paths”. 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Daa will have to breach the cap and should do... its a farce...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I work for about 3 days a month at a customers location in Oldtown. Since that runway opened sometimes they seem to go over the office every few minutes and sometimes not at all.

But when they go over they are LOUD. If I lived there I would be moving for sure. No way could you sleep at night if that started happening at night. Better to get out now than be trying to sell your house with that racket over it at the viewings.

I saw that Ryanair tweet. They seem to be missing the point. Constant noise is not a problem to humans. If you were to sleep beside a busy road or in a tent in a howling gale you would sleep no problem as your brain and ears get used to the sound after a while and it becomes backround. But if you were to sleep by that road and 2 or 3 trucks an hour drove by with nothing in between. Thats when you get woken up or when you notice loud sounds.

Thats my 2 cents anyway. Clearly nothing is going to happen with protesting. Just move while you can still sell your house.

Why dont the protesters take shifts getting someone to camp outside that DAA directors house, open the flightradar app and blast a foghorn for 30 seconds everytime they see a plane fly low over their village. That will certainly concentrate his mind. Make sure you promise him you'll be doing that with night flights too when they come.

Easier just to move though tbh. I certainly couldnt sleep if that noise was going over my house when im in bad. You definitely couldnt enjoy your garden either, if you had one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

You've hit the nail on the head here. Ryanair are somewhat disingenuous in that video in that they just speak about 'average' noise, they never mention what the peak noise is when a plane passes over. This is the noise that causes the disturbance to people most. Everyone can agapt to certain amounts of consistent noise like in a city centre etc it's the increase in noise over short periods that cause the most annoyance.

Advertisement