Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches closing for 3 days from today

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

HI, DO parents have to be earning outside the home (i.e. paying tax) to qualify for the subsidy?

think @Deeec in response to your comment 'The system should be as simple as creche gets paid their subsidy whether child is there or not - a childcare place should be paid for whether used or not.'

Assume the government is trying to ensure that parents are 'at work' while the subsidy if being paid. Its unfair to lump this onus on the creche, making the burden of admin so time consuming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Parents dont need to be working at all to avail of the subsidy. In fact those that are not working get a higher subsidy. Thats how crazy childcare in this country is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's ridiculously over the top. I'm not blaming the creche by the way, they didn't dream up this scheme.

The mum whose baby was running a high temp should have been able to take her baby home early, with no loss of subsidy. The child wasn't well, and needed to go home.

Creches ask parents not to send children in when ill, but if keeping them home means the parents will lose all or some of their subsidy (as well as probably some pay from missing time off work) how is that benefitting anyone?

I can't believe there is no clause that covers having to take a child home early or keep them at home, for illness without loss of subsidy.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They probably should, but I can't understand the mentality of not bringing the child home and losing a small part of the subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

On the collecting early and losing subsidy - it's not quite as straightforward so someone's been given the wrong information about this. There was a rumour around this in our creche earlier in the year and the creche sent on the guidance from NCS which states that parents can occasionally collect their children early from the facility. The creche are required to log the hours weekly & if there's an under attendance for a child (less than the registered hours) for an 8 week window, there is a notification sent. If it continues for another 4 weeks, only then can a subsidy be removed. If there's even just one full week of attendance in this 12 weeks, the clock resets. That is the official guidance from NCS in regards the scheme. And as creches are allowed to round up to the nearest hour, they definitely shouldn't face too many issues with people collecting a little early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Thanks for the explanation @witchgirl26

I'm not personally invested, as I have no children of creche going age, but it just seemed crazy to me that someone couldn't take their child home early without being penalised.

The parent who originally posted about their baby with the high temp said they weren't "allowed" to collect their baby early, which was what made me do a double-take!

There are other crazy things like, for example, I'm not allowed to collect my daughter early from the creche because the government subsidy doesn't cover for the number of hours I paid for, but the number of hours my daughter physically sits in the creche. My one year old was teething with a high temperature about a month ago, and I had to stand outside for 40 minutes waiting until 4:30pm or I'd lose the government subsidy.

Thanks again 👍️

Oh yeah that jumped out at me from their post. What they were told is completely incorrect. I mean the NCS scheme isn't always the best but at least on this they recognise that kids will need to be in & out because of varying reasons and average it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yes.. The problem I had was that I had been collecting her 15 minutes early during the summer when there was less traffic on the road. I didn't even realise it really but it meant she wasn't in the creche for all the hours I was claiming. By the way - I was still paying for all those hours I claimed because I had no choice but to pay full days.

So yes of course I could walk into the room and take her out, but the creche said I would lose the subsidy. They said if I sign a form they could give her calpol and if I wait outside for 40 minutes, she'll have stayed the required time for the subsidy.

Its absolutely crazy that it's set up this way. Every 5 weeks I have to keep her in until later than usual so that she stays on top of her hours.

Our friend no longer keeps her daughter at home on the one day she doesn't work because of this rule. The daughter goes to the creche 5 days a week for the subsidy.

There are other parents looking to relieve the creche and have their kids in for shorter periods but they can't.

In fairness I would fully understand this system if I was in a position where I could pay for X amount of hours and then claim those hours. Maybe the scheme was set up back during a time where that was the norm.

15 minutes early each day would not have affected their hours as they are allowed to round up to the nearest hour. So I collect anywhere between 5pm & 6pm each day & we've never had an issue because of the rounding allowed by the scheme (not the creche - this is direct from the NCS scheme). I've never had to work out the hours like that. And while your NCS claim may be up to 45 hours a week, the creche can claim for just the normal hours that the child attends. My claim is up to 45 hours a week allowed but the creche is only claiming for 5 hours a day as he's in afterschool. I'd really question them on that. It's the March memo from NCS if they need the clarity on it. You shouldn't have to be worrying over collecting 15 minutes early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

My son is scheduled to be in creche until 4pm but is collected 15-30 minutes early a few days a week and its never been an issue.

• Advertisement

They round up to the nearest hour alright but she went from being in the creche for 8 hours and 10 minutes (rounded up to 9) to 7 hours and 55 minutes (rounded up to 8). Changed day to day but that was the problem apparently.

So that Friday when she was teething she had spent 4 days fulfilling the time requirement, and on the 5th day when she was teething I wanted to collect her but they let me know about this hours thing.

So basically every 5 weeks ish we're going to bring her in very very early and collect her at the normal time to make sure she's fulfilling the time requirement. Which I just think is absolutely mental for a 1 year old to have to do. Of course we could change the hours or not claim at all but the idea that the government department for families has this incentive for kids to physically be in the creche is maddening.

It's one more thing we have to factor into plans as well in terms of holidays and relatives visiting etc. We work around it but really shouldn't have to.

They can just amend the claim they make to 8 hours then. And you only get an advisory after 8 weeks of hours being less from NCS.

Genuinely it sounds like your creche are making an absolute mountain out of a molehill for you. I rarely collect at the same time every day but have never even gotten the advisory. In fact I only know of 1 parent who has and that was because of a new sibling so they were collecting a couple of hours early every day for a couple of months. It's done on an average as well over the week of reported attendance hours.

Yes this is the thing, reduce the claim to 8 hours instead of 9 hours. Which is something they've offered in fairness. I would end up paying about 30 euro more per month than the parent who leaves their kid in the creche until after 5pm.

We might end up going that route if the bringing-her-in-early system once every 5 weeks doesn't work out for us.

The maddening thing is that we end up paying about 350 euro more per year because we're collecting our daughter an hour early. If a parent wanted to keep their daughter home one day a week, it would cost them 642 euro extra per year after subsidy reduction. It should be about creating incentives for families to become closer, not further apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

35,000 isn't minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Observing a few family members and their struggles with childcare, all I can say is that it would make the veins stand out on your neck.

They are literally unable to find a place because, like everything else, its jam packed with people, brimming over.

What use is any subsidy or policy when there's literally no space with which to begin?

If you put a pack of chimps in charge of the country they'd figure out the problem quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,914 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

From the posts here about fees, you'd think that childcare is a very lucrative business to be in.

But there are not enough people running childcare businesses to meet the demand.

Shat does that tell you about how lucrative it really is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I don't really understand the issue that childcare providers have. When I had my kids in creche, it was €1,100 per month per child, or €5.28 an hour (50 hours a week for 50 weeks a year). We didn't use it for 50 hours a week, but you had no choice but to pay for the hours the creche was open. When the ECCE kicked in, the creche was paid about €270 a month per child by the government. The creche took this off the €1,100 a month, so you'd pay €830 a month. Since the ECCE hours were "free", that meant we were paying €5.69 per hour outside of the ECCE hours. The creche still got the same amount, whether the ECCE kicked in or not.

Am I misunderstanding anything? Is there additional costs to the creche to running an ECCE scheme that I'm not aware of?

• I don’t think it’s extra costs but there are certain things that the crèche/playschool has to do with regards ECCE.

it’s not paying them just to have children watched for a few hours from what I remember there’s a curriculum etc to follow.

edit: https://earlyyearshive.ncs.gov.ie/ECCE-Programme-Rules-2023-2024.pdf

its a lot to read, but will give you some idea I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Childcare funding changes not coming in till september 2024....

m in a creche, you have to be trained on the ECCE curriculum, but that training is also paid for by the government. I don't think you have to hire more staff though, the proportions of staff to children remain the same whether the creche is doing the ECCE or not.

I talked to a colleague in work yesterday about the increase in the childcare subsidy. He said that his creche will just put up the fee by the same amount as the subsidy, citing inflation and the increased cost of securing staff. That is what has happened in the past. It's not like he can take his kid out and move her to a cheaper creche, as a) there isn't a cheaper creche - they all do this stunt and all have similar fees; b) you'd be very lucky to get a place in another creche, they are all oversubscribed and c) you can't just swap your child from creche to creche based on fees. It's not like changing supermarket. Your kid makes friends, bonds with their carers etc.

It just really isn't a service that is suited at all to private enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They can’t just up their fees, it’s part of the funding model now. Fees get locked in. Unless they aren’t taking the core finding and part of the NCS. So there is no stunt

So they can never raise their fees if they allow parents to access the NCS subsidy? We had my son in a creche two years ago, when the NCS subsidy first came in. I applied for it in September (as I imagine did all the parents) and the creche wrote to us confirming that our fee had reduced by about €85 a month. The following February they wrote to us to state that fees were increasing by €100 a month. Are you saying that they are not allowed do that anymore? So no matter what their costs are they can't put up their fees?

So is that what this strike is all about?

It's not the NCS funding they can't access but the newer Core Funding which is a separate scheme. Core funding provides funding for every child in the creche direct to the creche & doesn't involve the parents at all. When they signed up to core funding, they had to agree to a fee freeze on their current fees and are not allowed to increase them. They can pull out of core funding and up their fees but realistically most will not do this as they will likely lose out in the long run. Main problem is that another creche could open up across the way, set their fees, apply for core funding & freeze at a rate that is more beneficial to them whereas the original creche is left at fees that were set in August 2021.

True. But why would you send your kid across the road to a creche that is providing the same service but costs more? Unless you can't get a place in the original creche. In which case the original creche does not have much to moan about as the creche across the road is not taking any of their business.

The main issue, I expect, is not being about to cover an increase in costs, rather than competition from newer creches. Perhaps their should be some limited ability to increase fees where a creche maintains records that show it is to cover increased costs. Or because they are now providing an additional service. And then creches can be randomly audited to ensure they're not upping their fees just because Mary across the road is charging more. Or because the NCS subsidy has gone up so they know the parents can fork out more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Witch girl explains better than I can as I don’t know the full details but yes it’s part of the issue they have at the moment. They are struggling to keep going with so much extra admin too and staffing is difficult.

Its fairly low paid although it’s got a small bit better and the expectation of qualifications has increased, girls (in general) are expected to get better qualifications and still earn poor enough money. The whole model is broken and it’s not going to get any better the way it’s going at the moment, government have invested over the last few years in fairness but I’m not sure they’ve done it in the best way. From talking to my wife all the systems put in place could have only come from a state body as it’s very complicated and doesn’t need to be.

So it could be down to lack of availability in the original creche or better facilities because it's newer or any random reason that people make the decisions on. It's rarely solely about the money.

Yes the biggest issue is around not being able to react to changing costs. As I said, it was set in August 2021 - a lot has happened since then between increases in electricity costs, staff turnover in the industry etc. It's also about providing a level playing field. Creches who availed of the scheme have had to stick at the 2021 prices since whereas any new comer to the market has been able to set their prices based on the additional costs that are now out there and any extra admin costs of going into the scheme (and there are as creches have to report on the attendance records of children along with varying other aspects).

A lot of the creche owners who were protesting were saying that there's been people exiting the industry because they can't afford to keep the doors open on the fees they were stuck at.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our creche has fees stuck at levels from years ago (roughly 2018, they hadn't increased them in a while before they had to agree to the freeze). While the core funding has increased, it has increased by a relatively small amount.

All this while, costs have been rising. Creche's don't have the money to make meaningful changes to the pay levels of their staff, which were already low before inflation really took off. This is leading to staffing issues.

On top of this, the new funding scheme brought out last year has massive admin overheads.

I can see why they are frustrated, the numbers don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

All I know is that the many problems of this country have suspicious similarity. Shocking similarity, in fact.

Nearly ever last one is a variation on..

"We don't have enough X"

And as time drags on, we have less and less of X.

Meanwhile, we collectively are blind to the lock step increase in the population.

The "economy" has done nothing to alleviate anything. Zero. It cannot be overstated how detached the "economy" has become from its intended function.

So we continue to feed the "economy" with more and more imported people at the expense of infrastructure and...and what? What is the upside? Where is the advantage?

It's no wonder at all that there aren't enough creches when there's so many extra people, it's also no wonder that its no great profitable business when the likes of scarce housing is gulping money like a monster, due to increased demand, so creches close. It's the perfect combination of less infrastructure matched with more people, all tangled up in a ball of some bizarre interpretation of economy.

Similar to gp's disappearing as the number of patients increases.

Same story everywhere you look. Primary effects of overpopulation and secondary effects coalescing.

Ireland, evidently so, cannot tweak its way out of the most fundamental of issues.

Advertisement