Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭mikethecop

yeap thankfully it has failed pathetically if only more of their operations failed back in the day

just a few bizarrely committed shinners tryin to keep the issue alive now,

i wonder if they will try to restart this crap after the next match or have they learned the lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Once again you have your facts wrong. It all started because some Shinners criticized the singing of Zombie after the rugby. They said it was pro-partition and disrespectful to Republicans in the north. The newspapers and Martin and others responded to this claim and called bollocks. Because we all know that the real reason Shinners don't like the song is it reminds everyone of the sick, cowardly things the IRA did during the Troubles. And good on Martin for pointing that out.

Shinners politicised it, others responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes, it's irish.

it's similar to corkonian or dubliner ETC.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ultimately, this whole thing about this song is anti-sf supporters trying to get their revenge because neither the girls football team singing celtic symphony, or people who attended the recent high profile wolftones concert, got much outrage.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• I thought one of the fundamental tenets of the GFA was to allow an individual to pick their own identity? Why are you so anxious to assign them one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You see I've no problem with someone online coming out with this sort of unsubstantiated, derogatory opinion...

Because we all know that the real reason Shinners don't like the song is it reminds everyone of the sick, cowardly things the IRA did during the Troubles

It's when our Tanaiste does it I have a problem.

The idea that sf voters approve of terrorism, on the basis of some online comments which don't by a long shot equate to supporting terrorism, is so similar to Trump calling all Democrats 'radical-left' and 'antifa' it's scary.

And to be dragging that kind of politics into our enjoyment of sports pisses me off more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Take trip up to ballymena and explain that to the the locals. Lets see how well that goes for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How does someone criticising those who defend child murderers prevent you from enjoying sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody has said that SF voters approve of terrorism.

Shinners doesn't refer to SF voters, it refers to the type of person who defends the party through thick and thin, shinnerbots are the online version.

SF voters will come and go, in fact we don't even know yet how many of them will come to vote at the next election, but unfortunately, it seems the shinners are always with us.

Finally, are you saying that there are members of SF who don't follow the party line that the PIRA were a good thing? Because, after all, the official line from Sinn Fein is that events like Warrington and Enniskillen were necessary.

I've had a bit of a google I can't find where Martin says being against the song means SF voters support terrorism. Do you have that quote?

I listened to him say that the song was about an horrific act (in quite a bit of detail) and that he can't understand why people would say its partitionist or shouldn't be sung. Maybe I couldn't find the full interview. Do you have a link to it where he calls SF voters supporters of terrorism?

• Advertisement

You are correct about what he says. The struggle to maintain outrage over the singing of this song has been educational. Misquoting, misreferencing and false analogies abound in the desperate search to justify being offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭mikethecop

wow anti sf people somehow got shinner twitter posters to post nonsense crap on their accounts and then took advantage by calling them out on it ??

you have a crafty foe indeed 😏😏😏

He said he can't understand why anyone would question the lyrics of the song.

Before talking in great length about bombs and terrorism.

The problem is Micheal Martin knows full well why people questioned the song. It was nothing to do with supporting terrorism or "undermining the lyrics of the song" as he claimed. People question songs, and songs like this, all the time. In this case people were questioning the songs portrayal of the history of the troubles, a criticism the song faced more broadly on release.

I've summarized what he said but his message is clear.

His statements also go in direct contradiction to his claims against anti-war protestors.

"The most undemocratic thing you can do is trying to shut down debate. And that's what you are trying to do."

Like I said, Trump style politics, portray sf supporters as supporting terrorism, just like every democrat in Trump world is 'antifa' or the 'radical left'

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

This is what he actually said.

In response, Martin asked: "How do you mean this is partitionist?" before adding: "That's absurd. I think that's a shocking interpretation of the song.

“I mean, the killing of any child is a reprehensible act. Bombs that were put in the middle of streets which resulted in the death of children is reprehensible.

“A song that reflects that and a song that sort of captures, in the moment, the horror of a young songwriter who isn't looking at it from any sort of political context other than the inhumanity of the act, that's a song of the time.

“It's a song that deserves to be sung. I just do not understand why anybody would try to undermine the lyrics of that song."

He also said: “You plant a bomb in a street, you’re bombing children, you’re bombing innocent civilians.

"There were too many civilians and too many children unnecessarily and immorally murdered and killed as a result of those bombs.

“It's not partionist to say that. We should salute the artistry of a great songwriter rather than attack the singing of a song.”

Apparently that is Trump like in Shinnerland.

It was incredibly statesmanlike from Martin. I am far from his biggest fan but it was some putdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s such a never-ending sense of victimhood from SF. Which is ironic because they supported an organisation whose modus operandi was creating victims of terrorism.

Doesn’t wash. Own your legacy if that’s what you want, but don’t expect normal people to accept attempts to change history and the reality of what the IRA did. Waste of time.

It very much is, there was nothing in the comments made by sf supporters that were 'a shocking interpretation of the song'

People had criticized the song for the same reasons when it came out.

People have also criticized Band Aid for similar reasons, and a whole host of anti-war songs have been criticized similarly over the years.

Martin did just as Trump does. He put 2 + 2 together and instead of getting 4 he conveniently got sf supporters = terrorism.

Just like Trump puts 2 + 2 together and gets democrats = antifa.

The only thing that is Trump like is your effort to distort the truth. You attempts to rewrite history on this thread are pathetic.

In your head, Zombie.

You're struggling mate. Martin didn't say what you claimed he said and now you're tying yourself in knots trying to defend your position. Its entertaining. I love how you're trying to claim Martin is using Trump style politics when SF have actually been imitating Trump for years. They spout populist BS with no explanation about how they will do what they promise. Part of me would love to see SF get into government just watch them fail to deliver. But I live in this country so maybe not.

And I see you're still bringing up Band Aid. Too much effort to start a thread to discuss it?

Speaking of history...

A historic record on child homelessness this week.

Meanwhile...

Varadker's off telling the English how to run their country.

Martin's weighing in on a 30 year old debate on whether a pop song oversimplifies history, so he can throw muck at SF and ruin rugby.

Some leadership haven't we.

• Advertisement

• "They spout populist BS with no explanation about how they will do what they promise. Part of me would love to see SF get into government just watch them fail to deliver."

Unless they've changed their tune recently, this continues to be SF economics as I understand it...

This thread is about playing Zombie at rugby matches.

Michéal Martin said "That's absurd. I think that's a shocking interpretation of the song." when asked if he felt the song was partitionist.

Can you explain what was wrong with that comment as you find it objectionable?

I think it's quite fair to ask why Mr Martin is jumping into commenting on songs played at Irish rugby matches!

As for what's wrong with the comment itself, which has to be placed in the context of the rest of his statements, the most obvious initial issue for me is to ask just who Micheal Martin thinks he is to be telling other people how to interpret songs?

This is the same guy who's a champion of free speech when it suits him remember?

Aside from whether the song being partitionist or not being quite a subjective matter, I find it a reasonable position to take if looking at the term 'partitionist' as that which denotes people from Northern Ireland as other or even lessor.

I believe this was how former FG politician and co-founder of the SDLP Austin Currie often used the term.

It comes back then to the same criticism levelled at the song on it's release which suggests it might 'oversimplify' the history of the troubles. From that lens the idea that the people of the North just kept blindly reliving 1916 over and over, 'It's the same old theme since 1916, in your head Zombie', while we in the south moved on, could I think be seen as 'partitionist'.

Does that in any undermine the songs anti-violent message? Of course not, but Mr Martin's in Trump world now where anything goes, even dragging this shite into a beloved national sport.

What a disingenuous crock of shite.

This is the world the Shinners occupy. One of spin, lies, bluster and deception.

MM was asked about the response to the song, a response generated by Shinnerbots online. He didn’t jump into anything. However you already know that as it has been pointed out to you a number of times on this thread. You have also attempted to drag the IRFU into this even though, in a similar manner, it has been pointed out to you that they are not responsible for the song choice.

I have bad news for you. A significant majority in this country see through the Shinners. We don’t buy the bridge you are selling.

If we beat Scotland tomorrow I hope the song is played again so we can remind you

In your head, Zombie.

Last I checked Micheal Martin was the Tanaiste and MFA. That means there is an onus on him to explain Ireland to the world, it is a part of his job. This controversy has attracted international headlines with people horrified that some would take offence at it. By putting the record straight on the song, he is doing Ireland a service, as is his job.

By the way, are you suggesting that there is something wrong with being partitionist? As you know since the GFA, we amended our Constitution to recognise the reality and the legitimacy of partition. We no longer have a territorial claim on the six counties, we instead aspire to unite the people of this island, which may, or may not, involve political and territorial unification. Most of the people of Northern Ireland identify themselves as British or Northern Irish at least in part, which is other than Irish. Are you also saying that this is a lessor identity? Once again, the bigotry of the position that there is only one true Gael shines clear through your posting.

You know he was talking to Ciara Kelly on Newstalk breakfast right? He wasn't addressing the UN!

As for 'one true Gael' shining through in my posting, I'd love to reply, but I just can't for a minute follow the logic that got you there sorry.

"The singer was particularly offended that terrorists claimed to have carried out these acts in the name of Ireland.

"The IRA are not me. I'm not the IRA," she said. "The Cranberries are not the IRA. My family are not.

"When it says in the song, 'It's not me, it's not my family,' that's what I'm saying. It's not Ireland, it's some idiots living in the past."

"In the UK, the song reached number 14 in the charts - its success perhaps hampered by the BBC's decision to ban the video.

The original was shot by Samuel Bayer, who had previously directed the videos for Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and Blind Melon's No Rain.

He travelled to Northern Ireland and shot footage of the troubles, including images of children holding guns, which the BBC (and Ireland's national broadcaster RTE) objected to."

I think that article clears up a number of the falsehoods pervading this thread.

The ban at the time wasn't because the lyrics were controversial - in fact the video was banned, not the song, because of images of children holding guns. So all of the nonsense about the song causing offence at the time can now be dismissed as more rubbish.

Secondly, the provenance of the song is also clear and its success and popularity are down to that provenance. People were sick and tired of the PIRA at the time, sick and tired of their pathetic excuses for killing women and children, sick and tired of their psycho Zombie mentality.

Here's an interesting article which is critical of the song Zombie, while still seeing it as an anti-violence anthem.

Again I like the song, but I choose to look at it as a raw, emotional response rather than an accurate history of the troubles.

I think that's quite fair. It is after all a three minute pop song.

But not according to our Tanaiste, who seems almost close to tears, when claiming essentially that anyone 'undermining the songs lyrics' is pro-violence.

Is he being genuine? I really don't think so. It's such a ridiculous stance, especially for someone who seemingly is all about hearing other people's perspectives.

Do we need a harmless singalong at a match turned into this type of politics. I really don't think so.

Remind me at the match?

Sure I won't be watching it now.

There's plenty other sports out there that aren't being used as a platform for these kind of nasty politics.

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting article on one writer's take on negative portrayals of Irishness in cinema and tv...

Are these perspectives outrageous? Do they undermine the message of these movies?

I'm dying to hear Micheal Martin's take on it. He's clearly got f**k all better to be doing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-figures-show-record-3895-children-homeless-in-ireland-1532817.html#:~:text=In%20total%2C%203%2C895%20children%20were,3%2C873%20set%20in%20September%202019.

Advertisement