Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Get a grip": favourite retort of fuming middle aged women on facebook comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

“That’s dope” Used to describe something that’s really good. Another Americanism that’s crept into our vocabulary in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"How was your weekend?" - Usually the first utterance of small talk in work on a Monday morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's even worse if they say "1000%!!" or anything over 100%.

I'm not mad about the phrase "grinds my gears" either...😜

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

110%.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭littlevillage

This is the only answer to give to insincere people who ask "How was your weekend?"

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

"Living rent free in your head"

An attempted insult used only by utter eejits

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronandusty

Calling a dog a doggo or a furbaby or AARRGGGHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yeah that does my head in. Most office talk does but I've found myself doing it now and again.

A few months ago I was giving a presentation and I said "I'm really excited about xyz". What a f**king idiot. That **** winds me right up when someone else says it. I work in Accounting for a US MNC. There is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, exciting about it.

I should have been shot with balls of my own **** for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"little legend"... Usually as a caption on a cute baby pic... You're not a legend, come back to me In 30 years or so when you invent something or do some great deed... You're not even one yet 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Heard this expression used a lot by the participants in Love island a few years back - seems to have passed into the vocabulary of many since then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have heard a few times on RTE recently of presenters/reporters being filled with 'anxiousness' when they perhaps meant 'anxiety'. Why do such professionals make up words for ones that already exist, and that they should know?

Another irritation is the addition of 'ic' to words that do not need it. Example: minimalist becomes minimalistic.

Yet another - The use of the superfluous 'what' in sentences - 'like what I learnt in English classes' - instead of - 'like I learnt in English classes'.

Yet another - Why are they 'obligated' instead of 'obliged'?

I now just forgive mispronunciation and bad grammar - it is probably due to poor education, or regional variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Your round Deregos. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Absolutely.

In answer to everything in a radio interview. It's no wonder I either drive in silence or turn to Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

"inject it into my veins" Usually muttered by the dumb Premier League follower.

Sustainable.

The overuse of sustainable and its derivatives has become...non-viable.

"So what you're saying is...".

When someone listens to what you say and then refashions it into something completely different you didn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I agree with what you're saying there, but I think you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

The word 'anxiousness' appears in a William Wordsworth poem written in 1797, "The Old Cumberland Beggar".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So what you're saying is that Wordsworth was another one of these head-wreckers, tweaking words in the language to make themselves seem like great lads? Yeah, I completely agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

I 'done' instead of I did.

'would have' is a conditional tense used to describe something that never happened yet is commonly used to describe something that actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The word “Bro”

Used excessively and incessantly by males under the age of 25 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

How come everyone is saying "lives rent-free in your mind" these days? How do shite sayings like this go viral?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ottolwinner

Not a fan or “this ain’t my first rodeo” yea I get it you want me to think you’ve lots of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

Thanks a million - instead of Thanks;

Well, to you the truth… - What you been doing up til now?

I might be wrong, but… - believe me, they’re not;

Age is just a number - always hated this one;

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

awesome - usually with a yankee twang and emphasis on the "awww"

unbelievable - dunbelievables without end

hey bud or pal

txs buddy - too many 30s movies

going forwards - as opposed to going backwards?

no worries - that irritating neighbours jingle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Higher that up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ramped up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Even worse is "Bruh" and worse still "Brah", used exclusively by insufferable gobshytes.

• Advertisement

"Fam"

"Inspo"

Advertisement