Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

All credit to Megaman he has hung around longer than the cowards that planted a bomb in the bin in Warrington.

However he shares something in common with them, the truth bares no relevance to the message he is attempting to portray. Thankfully the decent people of this country rejected this message at the time and continue to do so.

Nasty politics? That’s hilarious considering we are discussing a song condemning the murder of two innocent children. Your lack of self awareness on this subject would be breathtaking if it wasn’t a common Shinner tactic.

Keep repeating the same lies and misinformation in the hope that eventually some people accept it as reality. It is something the Russians have done repeatedly.

Not a normal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

My message? I'd like to think of myself as a pacifist, so it's not what you're trying to make out it is!

Keep your Trump politics out of Irish sports.

I guess that's my message.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think it is one of the most genuine contributions from Micheal Martin ever.

As for the Loudersound article, that it views a racist tripe of a song like "Give Ireland back to the Irish" (and I am a huge McCartney fan) as "sincere and well-meaning", kind of puts the kibosh on any other argument it makes. By comparison to that song, "Zombie" is a multi-dimensional anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Your inability to follow logic is clear in your relentless postings. Why stop now?

• Advertisement

There's a professor of sociology, Bill Rolston, University of Ulster, who's written a very interesting article on the history of music in the troubles.

http://statecrime.org/data/2011/10/rolston2001a.pdf

From my reading, he takes issue with how difficult it is to grasp the complex history of the conflict within the format of a pop song. Here's his take on 'Zombie'

A third theme involves condemnation of the protagonists. However, not all foes are equal. Specifically, loyalism's violence is invisible and goes without censure; condemnation is reserved for violent republicanism. The Cranberries' reference to a central date in republican history, 1916 in `Zombie' (Island 1994) makes this clear: `It's the same old theme since 1916./In your head, in your head they're still fighting.'

Now I don't know about you, but I'm guessing this guy isn't calling for children to be bombed in the streets.

Is he allowed comment on the song, is his take outrageous, Micheal Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

So anyone here who shares MMs perspective is taking a ridiculous stance and not being genuine?

This from the person who while having no issue with the song themselves is happy to post page after page reasons why 'some' may have an issue with the song.

Not at all, maybe some of you are genuinely of this very simplistic mindset where criticizing a pop song equates to supporting violence.

I suspect Mr Martin is trying to be a degree more cunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Great, finally. So it is about you being offended! The song refers to republican terrorists and that offends you because you're a supporter of the IRA. You'd like to see all killers including loyalists treated treated equally in song. Finally, we got there.

Maybe you should write to the Cranberries and ask them to include a line or two referring to loyalists so that violence supporting republicans like yourself can feel better about the whole thing.

Lol, It's just another criticism I'm sharing of the song which doesn't equate to supporting violence.

As I said before, I quite like the song, just the notion that holding it up, as some sort of unquestionable history of the troubles, to attack sf supporters, is weak.

But not just weak... it's also dragging nasty politics into our sporting realm. Which I cannot stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Its gas he thinks the song was some carefully constructed thesis, not words selected for a rhyme😂

"Its the same old theme since 1690" doesn't quite have the same punch.

Songs are not a traditional narrative and more often than not are not a literal representation of an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Supporters or apologists for violent republicanism are going to object to the song, that is clear, we have said that from the start. Digging up articles and commentary from those who sympathise with violent republicanism only supports the viewpoint of people like myself and Micheal Martin, it does nothing to support the argument that you are making.

How dare you 'attack the lyrics' of this song.

Disgusting child murder supporter!

Lies, misinformation and spin. Repeat ad nauseum. Could Megaman be any more predictable?

What evidence do you have that the criticisms of the song I shared are from 'supporters of violent republicanism'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not only does he "quite like the song" and "have no issue with the song" he wants the IRFU to stop playing it as it makes SF voters "feel unwelcome". 😂

I don't want the IRFU to stop playing it.

I had no problem when this was a singalong by fans.

It's when the Tanaiste's jumping on board and trying to turn it into a Trump style attack on sf voters, that's when I have a problem.

It could be any song when it's used for these purposes and I'd feel unwelcome.

He can be a professor of whatever he likes, clearly it doesn't stop him following the same criticism of the song of many a good Republican ie. 'what about dem loyalists?'

And sharing that criticism somehow makes him 'support child murder'?

Or is he not allowed make that criticism because some Republican's also have?

How does this work exactly?

And then what about the other people who criticized the song, how does that now link to them being 'supporters of child murder'

What if a republican criticized the song because they just didn't like the tune?

I think after all this I'm entitled to a good solid explanation from you lot. Who can and who can't criticize the song? Give it to me in all it's Micheal Martin's Trump world glory!

Entitled!! There you have it folks, how the Shinners view themselves. They are entitled.

Forget about their innocent victims, forget about the families they destroyed, forget about their thuggery and criminality. They are entitled.

• Advertisement

You beat me too it. He is entitled to nothing except ridicule

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is an intentional misreading of the criticisms of aspects of the song by some.

Those criticising it are not doing so because they support any terrorist activities of any kind.

Where the song is problematic is the lyrics which dismiss the lived realities of what it was like for many Catholics in the north living under a regime that discriminated against them.

That's totally separate from any attrocity.

It's got to feel really aggravating to be told by a band from Limerick far removed from northern society that everything was grand and nothing wrong really happened to them.

That's what aspects of the lyrics promote.

Wow! I didn't see the link to entitled for a minute there.

I'll have you know I don't have innocent victims, haven't been part of thuggery etc.

I'll be voting for sf because of their policies on housing and healthcare. I'm not a party member, which I believe, according to your fellow mm supporters, doesn't even qualify me as a 'shinner'.

That only makes sense if you belive the IRA are a northern irish based entity only. They are not.

Many IRA bombers slipped back across the border to the comfort of the 26 counties.

Nowhere in the song does it refer to northern ireland, which we have learnt on this thread is a fictional place anyway.

Quite ironic then that the poster doing all the criticising is in LIMERICK, while the song is being sung in West Belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is not the source of the criticism of the song.

Forget about the IRA. You can have a song condemning all their attrocities without in the process promoting a fiction where gerrymandering didn't take place, where people weren't deprived of homes or employment because of their religion or politics.

It's that piece of ignorance inherent in the lyrics of the song which I think is really dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The "bridge" SF are selling is economic populism(-lite?). Which will be a disaster probably but you wouldn't know it from reading this web site.

Cannot defeat SF on cultural politics alone.

• But does the time when the song came out not matter here? 1993 was one of the darkest years of the Troubles where along with Warrington you had events such as the Shankill Road bombing and the Greysteel massacre. I think the vast majority of people were sick of the violence at that stage and wanted it to end. The song tapped into the mood at that time rather well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

I wonder if those shinners here who argue about this realize that as this was a sfira crime , that sf know which ones of its thugs carried it out ,

no one was ever held accountable for the murder of those children or many other children, sf have protected and continue to protect these people to this day ,

i wonder are these animals "good republicans " party members in good standing ? community activists ? election candidates ?

sf supporters are supporting this ongoing crime regardless of how they squirm

• Advertisement

I'm not criticizing the song, I keep telling you I like it.

I'm pointing out how criticizing it does not equate to supporting terrorism.

For you to not get that is bad enough, for our Tanaiste it's a disgrace.

Given we now know the song has been criticized by several journalists, one professor and at least two northern musicians, none of whom have any link to supporting violence....

It might be time to drop the claim that questioning it makes you a supporter of child murder.

It might be time to call this fella, and his just about contained crocodile tears, back, ya can't be going around accusing innocent people like that!

Advertisement