Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Symphony: Ireland v Scotland. 8pm Saturday 07th Oct. Paris. RWC 23

Options

Comments

I don't even have a deck.. Hopefully on the rugby forum no one will judge me on the size of my deck or whether I even have one🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Is that dutch ?

I think JVDF grandparents were dutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Ireland 35 Scotland 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Some Stats. I have heard from various podcasts.

Scotland have lost 8 in a row against Ireland.

202pts. v 88pts.

24 Irish Trys v 8 Scots. Trys.

Average score of 25/11. (To Ireland).

No disrespect to Scotland but if they can knock us out , we'd be spared a battering by N.Z. in a Q/F. ( i.e. lose to Scotland , we'd have had no chance v. N.Z.)I think we can beat both.

Ireland by two scores at least. If Scotland upset the apple cart , I will shout for them for the rest of the tourney! Still, Ireland by at least two scores, I.M.O.

Post edited by Lucy8080 on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland to win by at least 2 tries with 5 HIAs and at least 2 yellow cards against the scots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TheRona

That's not how rugby works. A team playing well or poorly one week doesn't guarantee the same the following week.

NZ hammered Ireland in the last world Cup, and got destroyed by England the following week.

That said, Ireland will win easily tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's not how rugby works. A team playing well or poorly one week doesn't guarantee the same the following week.

You could apply that to basically any sport, which is why upsets happen. But its also actually quite rare in rugby. I would say it goes with form the vast majority of the time.

I was referring more to the point that if Ireland lost to Scotland, they'd be sparing themselves a hammering by NZ. That's not true at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If Ireland lost to the Scots they wouldn't be playing NZ anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

England in turn, got absolutely mullered v South Africa. SA, for their troubles, were beaten by NZ in the group.

Can be a funny game and best team doesn't always win.

NZ were comfortably best team in many world cups and didn't win them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Not good - I'm overly confidend - and you know what happens - My firrst world cup memory awakens, Calder talking out Staples in '91 and Scotland beating a good Irish team, before heartache against Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I'm still not feeling all this we will win easily, its a one off game , Scotland have more than a punchers chance. They are a good team. I think we will win but not a given at all.

I'm surprised (and happy from Irish perspective)with Scottish backrow though. Its hard running ,but nothing Ireland can't handle ,but most importantly I don't see breakdown threat from them, delighted with no Watson.

Yeah, that's obvious. It's all hypothetical.

If Ireland were to lose to Scotland, it would be an outlier, and you would expect them to revert to their usual standards the week after. Unfortunately, once the pools are over (or indeed sometimes in the pools), you don't get that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I genuinely can't understand not playing Watson if he's able to play. Ferocious player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Has to be an injury otherwise very strange, he would at a minimum be on Irish bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Another + for Ireland. Can't understand that one myself but I'll take it all day long. It's natural to have a few nerves, this is basically a knock-out game, but any neutral would back Ireland by 3-4 scores (for value) rather than the 2 scores the bookies have us at!

I believe that Ireland will beat Scotland in the forwards, maybe a couple of push over/rolling maul tries that will make the game look as it was always within our gift at any stage.

There is admirable talent in the Scottish backs, their forwards ,I believe , cannot live with Irelands. Obviously, when the whistle blows on Saturday Night , my confidence today will go out the window and I will be a bag of nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

The only nerves I’m going to have is watching Sexton, Porter and Ringrose.

They get injured and we loose to NZ.

Ireland 23 - 7 Scotland

At halftime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not to mention the “mana” they bring to the Irish side…

Edit: And tell the lads to give it heaps.

Post edited by swiwi_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's just not the player he was. He had a concussion issue at the start of the year but was back for Edinburgh before the 6N and Scotland left him out of their 23 entirely for the first couple of games. They started him in the final game against Italy but took him off early.

Crosbie and Darge are younger, bigger players who cover more positions and are ahead of Watson now, it seems. Watson is 32 next week so I'd say his time with Scotland is starting to come to an end.

I don't think Watson would have made the Irish 33 let alone the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭typhoony

I actually think that line-out is worse with Henderson included but hopefully the Scots can't take advantage. Barring 2 yellows or a red I just can't see us getting beaten, best scenario is if we are 15 points or more ahead with 20 mins to go and offload the bench fully

• Advertisement

I've little issue with Henderson starting. He deserves it after his SA cameo. Ryan hasn't reached the levels yet that he had for the previous 12 months and missed training during the week. Absolutely makes sense to roll with the man in form who has been running the line out.

I do reckon Ryan will have an impact though. He has been an absolute thorn in Scotland's side whenever they've faced one another particularly at line out time where he stole the ball for fun in Murrayfield this season. He seems to have the measure entirely of the Gray brothers picking them apart for Glasgow/Exeter in the past too.

I've little doubt Henderson will turn in a solid performance. His 25 minutes against SA was the best showing of any Irish lock this tournament given the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think James Ryan is very over rated as to his importance to Ireland. I like him, but I don't rate him any higher than any of our other starting forwards. He is in the mix for sure but not above any of the others. But appreciate that we are in a very privileged position to be able to say that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Tadhg Beirne is incredulous at this comment.

We'll I'm incredulous at this comment for him!

Hoenstly, I think/hope there's a lot more to come from Beirne. Has had some lovely moments particularly in the first two games but he looked very tired in those last 20 against SA and was hanging in there.

Was so tired he couldn't even carry the ball....!

Joking aside, it's been a long time since I've seen him blown out of a ruck the way Kwagga Smith did to him when we were turned over on their 22 or the missed tackle on Snyman for the break. Top class operator but Henderson was so effective in all aspects when he came on (sloppy penalty concession aside).

He was wrecked alright....but you can’t discount the situation (Smith & 4 other forwards were already off the bench in that example) and that was before Hendo was even sprung from the bench. He put in a huge shift.

The only fresh SA forward that came on after Henderson was the TH and ‘Hooker’.

Henderson deserves a start and Beirne deserves a rest. Surprised they didn’t start Ryan and bring McCarthy onto the bench in a game where Scotland are going to be mauled (literally) to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Are we showing the Scots too much respect ? Any injury to Sexton, Ringrose and Porter and we're fecked against NZ. We should be ale to beat the Scots without these lads.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think "Never give a sucker an even break" applies here.

we're better off starting these guys and making sure we are in a position to bring them off early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'd have hoped we'd have learned our lesson after Japan.

Advertisement