Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Agree with you to some degree, names there mentioned strengthen the team. Bar Timoney who I once liked but has severely regressed and goes awol to often.

Based on last weeks game, our soft under belly has got even softer.

I feel for the likes of Kitshoff and Ewers who will have to seriously carry the team, a workload 2 players just can't be expected to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Ulster are to have a crack at winning something they need big efforts from everyone. Especially Treadwell and Burns. I thought Treadwell phoned it in a bit last season and Burns just didn't play like a seasoned veteran.

I'd like to think McAnn can step up along with Sheridan. Ewers will help, I watched him a bit over the years and he plays hard. That's what's needed! If the likes of Stockdale and Hume get back to their best, it's a good backline. If not, it'll be another season of crap.

The pack continued to phone it in, is the major issue! and not just a season issue, it's been a decade issue. There is no doubt a 1st choice Ulster can test many a team. After that though....

We have no dog, and teams a hell of a lot less skilful just grind us down.

Sheridan showed a bit of physicality last season, but he needs to be given the chance to secure one position not bounced between blindside/row. Likewise McCann is in a similar position. I have a lot go hope for Sheridan, he showed a lot of promise last season.

Crothers, needs exposure. He looked good last weekend and might be the fetcher we've been lacking. I just hope his size/athlectism can step up to senior rugby.

Then I look at Timoney, who really hasn't locked down any position.

Until Ulster sort this pack, it's game over again.

Another season of +++ points for signing Ewers & Kitshoff, then you look at our depth ----. It just seems we can never get it truly balanced.

It falls on McFarland, he is the manager. His decisions will set the tone.

(15-9) Will Addison, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Jude Postlethwaite, Jacob Stockdale, Jake Flannery, Nathan Doak

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Tom Stewart (C), Greg McGrath, Matty Rea, Kieran Treadwell, Dave Ewers, Marcus Rea, Dave McCann

Replacements: John Andrew, Billy Burns, Ben Carson, Reuben Crothers, Angus Curtis, Cameron Doak, Ben Griffin, Cormac Izuchukwu, Ethan McIlroy, Conor Mckee, Stewart Moore, Ben Moxham, Shea O’Brien, Aaron Sexton, Dave Shanahan, Harry Sheridan, Nick Timoney

Greg McGrath IQ'd injury cover from the late Jersey Reds, playing for a contract potentially?

Any other Jersey peeps worth a look?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These signings boil my piss. Is this guy really worth a look ahead of someone already in the system?

I think the issue the people in system never get far enough along to get an opportunity before we poach some other semi pro gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They are (were) a Championship team, this is proper budget shopping by Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Normally I'd agree with you but I have a sinking feeling that we've found our level. Last season really did a number on me, I haven't been less excited for a season in a long time.

Anyway, we lead 19-7 at half time against Glasgow. Not a great game and we have a much stronger team on but I like what I've seen of Ewers - we'll be asking a lot of him this season.

• Advertisement

Ewers, Stewart, Postlewite, McCann had good games!

But still far from convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'm exactly the same. Our meek surrender at home to Connacht, in a hail of penalties, really did for me.

I've zero enthusiasm about the season ahead other seeing how the likes of Stewart, Sheridan, McCann, Doak and Postelwaite develop. It would be nice to see Hume and Lowry find their form of old and Kitshoff should be a big signing. It will also be good to see Addison go injury free.

Our 1st XV is still probably capable of beating most non Irish and SA sides in the URC ok, and we'll probably nick a win or two at home against better teams than us, so I expect we'll finish somewhere like 5th or 6th in the league and make the play offs. Enough to keep some people happy I suppose.

It was that string of losses starting with being beaten by a 14 man Leinster after being up at half time which kind of set the tone for the rest of the season.

I will look back at it and laugh but the only two senior games I think I managed to make last year were the humiliating surrender to connacht and the 39-0 drubbing to Sale in the freezing cold after our flight being delayed to somewhere around 1am. I'll have to get a prescription for anxiety medication to attend a game this year, I swear last year game me PTSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

We won't win anything for the foreseeable so I would gladly not win anything while blooding new talent. All the the lads who have represented the u20's in the past 3 years, get them into the first team.

What's our best youngster in each position?

1) Callum Reid

2) Tom Stewart

3) Tom O'Toole

4) Harry Sheridan

5) Cormac Izuchukwu

6) Lorcan McLoughlin

7) Marcus Rea? (Is he too old to count as a youngster? Is it Reffell, if he ever plays for us? Does it default to Reuben Crothers?)

8) David McCann

9) Nathan Doak

10) Jake Flannery

11) Ben Moxham

12) Stewart Moore

13) Jude Postlethwaite

14) Aaron Sexton

15) Ethan McIlroy

Now, admittedly, that's not counting excellent players like Hume, Lowry, Baloucoune who are all 25/26 and established. But hopefully these younger players kick on.

Yeah i'd agree with that team. Could make an case for J McNabney

Apart from Stewart and O'Toole, how many of them will be good enough to make an extended Ireland squad in the next 4 years? Any of them?

I've said it before but this is a massive season for David McCann. He'd better not be behind Greg Jones still!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hume, particularly, and Baloucoune feature again.

Doak and Postlethwaite maybe. Stewart Moore? McLoughlin (or indeed McNabney).

Hopefully more Emerging Ireland games help.

• Advertisement

Too early to say one way or the other about McNabney or Postelwaite although I admit I like what I see of Postlethwaite up to this point and hopefully he features heavily this season. Only seen McNabney at U20s level, he's very good but was outshone a bit by Quinn and particularly Gleeson last season. Gleeson to be fair is as good a young back row as I've seen at that level for Ireland since Sean O'Brien.

Baloucoune and Hume could get back in there, but guys like Jamie Osborne and Calvin Nash appear to have jumped them in the queue.

As we all know on here, Ulster have an amazing ability to coach the talent out of young players who make a break through at u20 level.

Could we maybe get all our best prospects out on work experience to Leinster for 6months?!

Stockdale, Baloucoune and hume are all young enough to make the next WC cycle. Hopefully we will have some others surprises ready to go, similar to how Stockdale burst onto the scene

McNabney is a tall lean player. Good option for l/o. He's got a great engine and some good skill. I think he's going to be a star. He weighs around 108 kgs.

Sheridan, McLoughlin and McNabney could be some unit.

Are Sheridan and McNabney back-row only...could they play second row at senior level?

Sheridan can play second row. Not sure about McNabney

I keep forgetting about McLoughlin. Where was he last season though? He wasn't anywhere near the Ulster squad. He was in the 2022 U20s set up wasn't he?

Joe Hopes is a bit younger than most of those guys (another year at U20s to go), but I think he might be a decent prospect in the second row.

Sheridan has played second row for Ulster more than back row - although I think he's not the tallest (6'4"?), so he may settle into blindside flanker. I personally thought he grew and grew into the U20s 6N he played (he started every game) and ended up bossing bigger opposition. He genuinely has a bit of dog about him - he's quite vocal as well, especially in the mauls, which, given his comparative lack of experience, is great. I like him.

Back belt in Taekwondo as well, apparently.

McLoughlin will play this season, I'd be certain. He captained the development team against the AIL select and was their stand-out player.

Ahead of Ulster's opening URC game of the 2023-24 season, the following players are currently unavailable for selection:

Marty Moore (Knee)

Greg Jones (Shoulder)

John Cooney (Calf)

Eric O'Sullivan (Shoulder)

Sean Reffell (Ankle)

James McCormick (Shoulder)

Alan O’Connor (Ankle)

Luke Marshall (Following graduated return to play protocols following a recent concussion)

Steven Kitshoff (RWC, South Africa)

Rob Herring (IRFU Player Management Programme)

Tom O’Toole (IRFU Player Management Programme)

Stuart McCloskey (IRFU Player Management Programme)

Iain Henderson (IRFU Player Management Programme)

Surely Marshall has to ask questions about whether it's worth it now? I say that as a big fan of his.

I presume we're going to go ful guns since we've a load of hard game up early (Bills, Munster, Connacht).

Any team predictions?

• Advertisement

Backs are fairly easy I think...

Addison, Baloucoune, Hume, Moore (although Postelhwaite has played here a lot in pre season), Stockdale, Burns, Doak

No idea about the props because I don't know much about them

Stewart at hooker

Treadwell and Izzy or Sheridan in the row

Some combination of Ewers, Rea, Timoney and McCann in the back row.

You'd hope that is enough to get the job done away to Zebre.

Talk about back to earth with a bump though....Ireland v NZ in Paris in a WC Q/Final one week to Zebre away minus Internationals in the URC the next...it's like going back to school/work after the summer holidays!

Advertisement