Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed the only way such a scenario happens is if FPtP is killed and then Labour will likely split too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

There was a great quote by Charles Kennedy in the early 2000s that compared killing the Conservative party to a zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Think that was John Reid. The same one who allegedly said "Oh f***, not health" when appointed as minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How hilarious would it be if Sunak was arrested/questioned over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

UK needs a lot more of this sort of fact-checking and calling out of blatant lying as part of interviews.

Michelle Donelan got her arse handed to her by Victoria Derbyshire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think Victoria Derbyshire is the best political journalist on TV.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think she's pretty good, think Emily Maitlis is streets ahead but is focused on her News Agents podcast right now, which I get why her and Sopel do it, but I think they come across more as political commentators than journalists when it's their own show they are on.

Think Beth Rigby is quite good as well.

Can I just post for posterity that I think that Sunaks clip of cancelling HS2 and his words around it suggesting the 'facts' mean it should be cancelled, will be played on TV for hundreds of years as an indication of the regressive mindset in UK politics at this time.

Coming on the back of his 'ending the war on motorists' at a time when the impact of excessive fossil fuel use is starting to be felt more and more frequently and vociferously, it really is pretty astonishing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I enjoy watching Sophy Ridge I have to say. Sky News Live is so handy when you don't have a telly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wasn't Rigby the one who was mostly BoJo's mouthpiece during his misbegotten tenure? Maybe there was something about her prepping him with questions before interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wasn't that Laura Kuenssberg? Surely Beth has more professional and self-respect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, this is depressing.

England is now “the most difficult place to find a home in the developed world”, housebuilders have claimed in a snapshot of the housing crisis that also found a greater proportion of people in England live in substandard properties than the European Union average.

The Home Builders Federation (HBF), an industry group representing companies that build for private sale, found that England has the lowest percentage of vacant homes per capita in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a group of 38 nations, including most of the EU the US, Japan and Australia.

“Promises to ramp up housebuilding will take many years to deliver and people stuck in the private rented sector in the here and now urgently need proper protections from unfair eviction, eye-watering rent rises and dangerous disrepair,” said Conor O’Shea, a spokesperson for the renters groups.

The study found the UK has the lowest number of homes built since 1980 of any of Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary.

I just don't understand how housing isn't talked about more. Oxford and Cambridge are choked by low supplies as is London. Fostering more remote working could provide some relief but the government's too busy virtue signalling... The housing crisis here is a demographic ticking time bomb and all anyone seems interested in doing is pandering to NIMBYs and those who already own a home.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's funny how the Tories, have been trying to build 'Singapore on Thames' since the brexit referendum. But in order to own a car in Singapore, you need to buy an ownership license that currently costs over a hundred thousand dollars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The manner in which the Tories have simply aped the GOP style of histrionic green scaremongering is quite galling. The former supposed party of sensible grown adults reduced to screaming about invented 7 bins - or indulging in the 15 Minutes City conspiracy. JFC that alone should have them carted to the looney bin;

What's particularly galling is that Labour will get in at the next election and immediately, like 10 nanoseconds later, the Tories, from the opposition benches will start screaming about the need to level up, to deal with climate change etc etc etc and the UK media will collectively forget who was in power 2010 to 2024 and will start effectively running an election campaign for the Tories after about 6 months.

And Labour are no saints, they'll spend 80% of their time blaming the Tories for the state of things (rightly) but it will be easy for them to be painted as the dog that caught the postmans van and didn't know what to do with it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tories got 3.9% down from 15% in that Scottish by election yesterday. Labour romped home. Should make a lot of SNP and most Tory/Lib Dem MPs in Scotland very worried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For context, turnout was 37.19% against the 66.5% at the 2019 GE. I do think it's hard to guage these by-elections when turnout isn't even a passing grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you can't get your core vote out in the week of a party conference where you've been throwing red meat at the baying fascist hounds, you aren't going to get it out for a GE either though

Sorry I just meant general and regards the Labour win against the SNP. Reading it as a big F up for the SNP.

Tories in Scotland were always a dying breed, and I'm not even sure if all the fascist talk curries favour north of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What that shows is neither the Tories or SNP could mobilise the vote.

Both parties are in big trouble due to scandals and charisma vacuum leaders. After 2 absolute powerhouse SNP leaders (when they were scandal free) they now have a guy who's name I have to Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Turnout at bye-elections is often low. This can complicate the interpretation. Sometimes its helpful to look at the raw figures. In this case, in round figures:

Labour fell from 18,500 (at last GE) votes to 17,800.

SNP fell from 23,800 votes to 8,400 votes.

Tories fell from 8,000 votes to 1,200 votes.

Labour will be delighted with this result, obviously. This is a marginal seat, which has switched parties between Lab and SNP at every election since 2005. This time round, it will have been seen as a must-win for Labour, but they have done more than win it; they have won it with a majority of 9,000.

Both the SNP and the Tory votes have collapsed. I think this reflects the fact that both parties are thoroughly demoralised, though for different reasons, and their supporters are despairing or alienated.

Honestly, I don't think the coincidence of polling with the Tory conference will have helped. The overwhelming impressions created by the conference are (1) chaos and incompetence; a flip-flopping government; (2) fruitcakery everywhere; and (3) a party more interested in fomenting and fighting culture wars than in delivering government. It has long been recognised that the median political position of Tory MPs is well to the right of the median political position of Tory voters (the same is not true for Labour MPs and Labour voters, interestingly). But I think we may now be reaching the point where moderate right-of-centre voters are concluding that the current Tory party is simply not in the same political space as them, and they respond (at least in this bye-election) by staying at home.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

It won't help in the mostly remain Scotland that the Tories have spent their conference publicly fellating Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The Indians are like that that

Something to do with the Raj and all that .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Labour had loads of people chapping doors to remind people to vote, I counted 4 occassions on our street alone over the last week when Labour were out chapping doors. I think the SNP chapped once and none from anyone else

The SNP vote collapsed for a number of reasons

1. They have done nothing on independence

2. There are many in the SNP who are more interested in their pet subjects than independence

3. They are incompetent especially tied with the Scottish Greens

4. They actively joined the witch hunt of the previous MP for the area

As for Labour, I was told at my door that only Shanks will stop me getting charged for driving into Glasgow city centre - this is the level of deceit in politics today

It is also clear that there was heavy tactical voting going on from Tory and Lid Dem to Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

chapped = knocked

Shanks = Michael Shanks Labour party candidate (now MP). Glasgow city council is underfunded because of the equal pay dispute (caused by Labour!) and one of the ideas discussed is to charge vehicles from neighbouring council areas a 'congestion charge'. Our constituency is in South Lanarkshire council which is a neighbouring council to Glasgow city council. Michael Shanks and his team were telling people in the constituency that only Labour will put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interestingly Scot Ind is holding up and ahead by 4 points,9Blair Institute) So the SNP brand may becoming disentangled from Ind, that's a good thing.

• Advertisement

It looks like a similar level of people still want independence but don't think it's the most important issue right now or just think the SNP need a good kicking after all the corruption stuff.

Advertisement