Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine was out of warranty but plug was still replaced free. New one feels tighter in car alright, was talking to Ranger who said was a problem with some Zappi plugs and Tesla. He suggested holding in firmly bit longer after locking. In my case it was definitely a mechanical problem, as could disconnect the charging by waggling the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I think that may be my problem alright... I'll see how it behaves the next time I'm charging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You say the M3 doesn't sell well here, but it's been very successful in its class. Outselling all the German saloons by a country mile. Only Skoda saloons (are they considered saloons or hatchbacks?) sell more.

This year it's out sold the BMW 2 and 3 series combined for example.

Doesn't seem too bad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think you’re being very selective in your reasoning :)

this is the car that was to end all other cars remember. It’s the 38th best selling model in Ireland.

when those expired UK lease cars get imported, 2nd hand M3’s will be fantastic value though

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

The skoda is definitely a like for like, the BMW definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1, the Tesla or near every other EV won’t catch fire like the BMW. And the funny thing is the Skoda is built better than its German rivals, Audi, bmw etc

It’s a mass produced saloon car. I doubt any car in that segment is going to be the car that ends all other cars. Bit naive if you thought that.

It's around 10th best selling car in the world, a huge success for an EV.

Not sure what you were expecting, 20million sales a year?

I wouldn't worry too much about the residuals, they're doing pretty well, what's the norm, 40% depreciation after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Interesting. Suggests model 3s are down 23%, in Ireland it's about 23 euro judging by the used car asking prices

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Hey does anybody have a recommendation for a place in and around Dun Laoghaire to get a slow puncture fixed? I went to my usual guy, but he said he'd need a "block" to jack up the Tesla and I'd have to provide it. Haven't been able to find anything when searching for this "block", so I'm wondering if he's got it wrong and I should just go to any tyre place to repair the puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

You need something like this in the link, stops the undercarriage getting damaged by a jack

DEDC 4pcs Jack Pad for TESLA Model S/X/3/Y, Rubber Tesla Lift Point Pads for Trolley Jack (with a Storage Case) https://amzn.eu/d/eWwAL39

A jack puck is handy but. Not absolutely required. You can still jack it with a normal jack using the jacking mounts.

Try another garage. Takes 5 mins to fix in your garden with the plug kit.

Australia, a big market too. Such an expansive area too and 3 in every 5 EV’s sold there is a Tesla in 2023.

Somehow I don’t think it matters one iota what the uptake in Ireland is as we are just a pinch of salt in the motoring world.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/australias-best-selling-electric-cars-first-nine-months-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

A heads up for anyone else.

I updated my MYLR to 2023.32.7 and since then the phone keys setup with the car have been.... temperamental at best.

It refused my phone (Samsung S22) the other day, and luckily it happened at home so I could grab the keycard instead. But the car outright refused the phone.

I had to reboot my phone and then it seemed to work so if you've updated your car, might be worth doing a phone reboot too.

Wife had a similar issue with her iPhone 12, so not sure what's going on. Kind of makes you nervous about relying on your phone key and nervous on what "surprises" the next update might bring.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Thanks for the heads up. I always use the phone to unlock and drive but also aware Tesla state you should always have the key card with you. Will bring it along just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Haven't noticed any problems with my Model 3 since update a few days ago.

I know this is where we constantly differ, but I can’t fathom why you guys concentrate so much on the worldwide markets when it comes to tesla.

the fact that 2/3 of EVs in Australia are Tesla’s doesn’t affect our domestic market one iota.

in Ireland, their 2023 market share of EV sales is 8.9%. 9/10 EV buyers choose something else, and it’s great that we have so much choice now.

if I buy a 2nd hand tesla, it won’t be an Australian/German/US/Chinese one, it’ll be Irish or UK.

they could literally be selling space ships in other countries, and it wouldn’t matter to us.

Is that not exactly what I posted?

People were posting about how the Model 3 was to be the car that ends all cars yet it’s only the 38th best selling car in Ireland and making a laugh at that.

I posted that it makes no difference where it places in Ireland. We are a pinch of salt in the sales table. So yeah, it sounds like you’re agreeing with me 😎

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

To put it in perspective based on numbers from this article https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/best-selling-cars-europe-2023 of 196,000 EVs sold in August, 21,549 of them were Model Y's. That puts it around 10.99% market share versus beepbeep putting the Irish ytd market share at 8.95%. I don't think we're the huge outlier that you claim.

(Sorry, when I said ‘we’ I didn’t mean you and I specifically 😄, was just generalising)

• Advertisement

I’m not even saying we’re an outlier - I’m just saying I don’t understand why we care about foreign market share.

no one buying an e-206 or whatever here in Ireland is looking at the Peugeot market share in France. it seems to just be a tesla thing. It’ll happen with the cybertruck too, even though it won’t ever be sold here.

Maybe because emissions are global so whether every car sold in Ireland this year was a Citroen Ami or a Hummer the global sales numbers are much more important.

that would assume that people buy an EV for environmental reasons, or have acute knowledge of their reduced carbon footprint over the ownership period - rather than just buying one for its reduced fuel bills (and very suspect total cost of ownership for some buyers).

I wonder which one it is … 🤔

I’ve never met a single recent owner of an EV who bought for environmental reasons - and even back in the 2008 520d days, everyone told you how it was €156/yr to tax, but absolutely no idea what the carbon emissions were. It’s the same, just a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

I would definitely buy an EV for local environmental reasons, but not solely. EVs are superior in most aspects. Even if the total ownership cost was more expensive than ICE, I would still but an EV. Anything that removes dirty diesel and petrol emissions in our towns and cities is a bonus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The type of people that discuss cars on the internet beyond problem/solution are in an enthusiast group. A subset of EV enthusiasts seem to be interested in adoption rates of the technology. This can and does go down to market share of an individual model.

I would suspect the reason that e208 owners aren't as focussed on the topic is that the e208 is a relatively mundane car. It's good at what it does, but I suspect it sells to people who are looking at buying a family hatchback that happens to be electric instead of the type of person who regularly reads motoring press and likes to stay up to date with developments and new models in the EV space.

Threads here on the EV subsection are not limited to only discussing a particular EV as operated and sold in the 32 counties, if people in the Tesla Model Y thread want to discuss it's market share in Timbuktu they can do, just because your not interested in it doesn't mean you need to question why posters want to.

There is a weird attitude for some posters which can be summed as "stop talking about the car you enjoy in the thread about that model" so long as it's kept within relevant threads I think it's an ok balance. For people who aren't interested in that car the thread can be easily ignored.

Our last remaining 2008 520d is €400 to tax for the year.

People will buy EV’s for their perceived environmental benefits and also their lower running costs.

Others will buy for the tech experience and curiosity maybe.

I wanted a Leaf SVE back in 2014 because I had free workplace charging and drive 99% of my journeys in and around Dublin City (still do in fact). The higher outlay to buy that car at the time would have been offset by the lower motor tax, insurance and fuel bill (Merc ML270 CDi) but I was getting a brand new car with fantastic spec compared to many other cars at the time. I had a top spec 535d MSport at the same time yet the Leaf had cameras, LED lights, heated front and rear seats and wheel and no parking sensors (just like Tesla 😂).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ah lads, any chance you might take this general chat to another thread and leave this for Model Y stuff. I'm surprised a mod hasn't said this by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bought mine for environmental reasons too.

Super tech and superior driving experience were part of the consideration too

If the above 3 things meant it was slightly more expensive to run, I would still have bought.

Cheap motoring was barely a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Sorry to drag up an old post but is the price listed the cost of four or must you multiply by four ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

That's for 1... Try a different seller and get the ones that are symmetrical. They look way better. They definitely save the curb rash on your alloys.

Advertisement