Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to set up brakes on kids bike

Options
  • 06-10-2023 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hoping for some advice on the best way to set up the brakes on a kids bike. Got my 7 year old a bike and it's set up with the front brake on the left. Any bikes I had when I was a kid had the brakes the other way round...I.e. rear brake on the left. I understand front brake on the left is the norm in most countries except us and the UK. Bike shop are happy to switch them. She is only learning so she can adapt easily to either but I presume it's best that she starts as she means to go on. Any thoughts on which would be best approach in terms of safety etc.? I've read that the UK set up is to enable rear braking when signalling right hand turns. On the other hand I'm thinking it could be handy for when travelling to be used to the continental set up and that it may be the case that most new bikes come this way these days. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I wouldn't over think it. It doesn't really matter at that age or any age really unless you are big into mountain biking or something and take someone else's bike. I've had and built bikes with both on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

^

Typed out a similar response but the darn site is acting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Ah ok sound, I was picturing her having difficulty switching and potentially going over the handle bars. Over cautious parenting perhaps! Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you got the bike in decathlon?

i'd be inclined to swap them over. pretty much every other bike you'd get (bar those in decathlon) will be set up the wrong way around.

IIRC another poster here ended up taking his son to hospital after the son grabbed a handful of front brake by accident, first time on a bike from decathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

That was me. My son is 15, so he's had a good few years of cycling with the brakes set up the proper way. I switched them over after his spill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Front brake on the right like on a motorbike so they build the correct muscle memory

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like while it's not a major issue it's worth switching over. Chap in the shop is very helpful and happy to do so. Its a local shop to me not decathlon. Muscle memory is exactly what was concerning me. I was just curious to see if there was any advantage to the continental set up but it seems on balance best to stick to rear brake on left. Yeah it's interesting about the motorbikes because that's standard worldwide I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its their first bike it really makes no difference whatsoever, only in a few years if they jump on a friends bike and don't realise (a drunk friend took mine and faceplanted in a puddle trying to show off). Not a huge job to swap though, might be worth doing yourself for a bit of practice in bike maintenance, your kid might even enjoy helping out. My best memories of my childhood are myself and my Dad doing work like that together.

Controversially, I prefer my front brake on the left but several of my bikes are the other way round. I know the logic is for slowing and turning but my view is if you need to grab a handful of rear brake, both hands should be on the bars anyway.

Cheers, yeah and you are dead on about those times spent with your dad. I remember similar. There's a bike shed with lots of tools local to me where people can come and use the tools and learn from each other. Its a great idea. Just have to get myself a bike now!

Advertisement