Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Finglas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that any Luas extension from there will cross the m50, head out into the fields, and cross all the way to the future Dardistown Metrolink station at the depot planned there, most likely that station being built as part of this extension. That'll unlock a huge landbank there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's a good idea but is development allowed so close to the airport?

Is the land kept for future airport expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I'd say it'll more likely be developed in tandem with a revised Metro West. Or perhaps phase 1 of Metro West would be Daridstown to Finglas, then phase 2/3 all the way to Tallaght

I don't think Metro West will happen.

I don't think there's that many journeys between the outer suburbs.

Most journeys are in and out to the city centre.

Orbital buses can cover the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

None of these Metro projects are going to be delivered for decades.

Its interesting that people talk about them with such focus, when you consider they are so far away that they will have been reimagined multiple times, before they ever get close to operating that first train.

And who cares about the Luas to Finglas? Great way to import more tracksuited scrotes and Redden the Green Line somewhat.

I'd be more than happy as a southsider for that Luas project to be derailed.

• Advertisement

That's a big assumption to be honest. The traffic on the M50 would suggest the opposite. All those cars are not driving into the city to park, nor are they travelling around Dublin to get from Cork to Belfast, for example.

The fact that it's basically impossible to take reliable, quick public transport between Tallaght, Lucan / Liffey Valley, Blanch, Swords etc.... doesn't mean there's no demand. It just means it's currently impossible.

About 250-300k people live along that corridor.

For me the main benefit is for the redevelopment of Jamestown (43 hectares) and Glasnevin Industrial Estates (70 hectares).

For comparison, Irish Glass Bottle site is 15 hectares is supposed to have 3800 homes, so the above could have 25,000 homes at least.

Masterplans are being drawn up at the moment.

Potential for 10,000s of homes near the city centre with good public transport links.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How many are people driving from the commuter belt or people from inside the M50?

I think the problem with Metro West is that it connects sprawling low density housing estates and areas of not huge employment.

An orbital bus is enough. If land is retained for Metro West, they could do a Bus Rapid Transit.

There will always be routes with a much better cost benefit ratio. For example I think a Poolbeg to Tallaght Metro would be much more beneficial to Dublin.

I think in time Dublin might need an orbital Metro but it will be much more central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

How many people who live in Swords, who work in City West, who live in DL but work in James's. A fast orbital line would link the suburbs together so that people could mix journeys such as Metro West-> Metrolink, Metro West-> DART, and Metro West Luas. rather than relying on a bus to take them the last mile. This is ignoring also that Metrowest would've opened a huge amount of land in North West dublin for development.

Orbital buses would be good, but the populations are big enough between Tallaght, Blanch, and North Dublin to warrant connecting them together. A proper orbital line would bring the city a lot closer together with high capacity, fast light rail

• Advertisement

We'll agree to disagree.

I think any orbital route would be more central, maybe following the canals or just outside them. Dart Underground would be even more useful. I think we've only enough money and labour to do one big infrastructure project at a time and I think once the Metrolink is done we'll do another radial route, my guess is Poolbeg to Tallaght.

Is there precedent in other cities of such far out orbital rail lines connecting outer suburbs of low density?

Copenhagen added a circle line but it's much more central.

Not really.

Metro Projects are decades away and I know folks that drive rather than get the Red Luas due to anti social activity. Even though they live along the line.

I wouldnt want to see the Green Line go the same way.

If we want people to use PT, it needs to be safe.

Metro West would pass through several large areas with population density above 5000/sqkm. That's more dense that Swords and most of the city (except the city centre and inner suburbs).

It would interchange with Luas Red, Dart South West, Luas Lucan, Dart West, Luas Finglas, Metro Swords, not to forget all the bus routes. Also Dart North if it was extended. The route is preserved, above ground and mostly across green fields.

Finding a project closer to the city centre, which provides that level of connectivity, would cost many multiples more, not to mention the disruption. It's such a low hanging fruit and would create endless potential.

I wonder is there any data on how many journeys are currently being made between the outer suburbs?

That would give hard evidence of a Metros necessity.

I think the focus and resources for the next 10/15 years will be on Metrolink, DART+, Busconnects, Luas extensions, maybe Cork and Galway Luas.

But it's good to think what to do next.

Assuming our economy remains stable and our population keeps growing, we'll have loads of money for big projects.

We'll have 3 million tax payers in high paying jobs in a few years. In the 90s it was just a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In the 1990s our debt to tax-take ratio was around 2:1 and falling (it dropped below 1:1 in the mid 2000s, just before the **** hit the fan). Today we owe more like €3 for every €1 we take in tax, and that ratio is only so low because of exceptional, one-off corporation tax receipts in the last couple of years... we are not as rich as we think we are.

Also in the 1990s, we had the European Cohesion Fund paying up to 85% of capital spending on infrastructure. These days, we're a net contributor to the EU budget, so those handouts are long gone.

We still have enough money for big infrastructure projects.

Does inflation make our national debt shrink relatively? I'm not an economist but logically it makes sense.

Once the Children's Hospital finishes, we'll be starting the Metrolink, Busconnects , Dart+ and N20, so I don't think we'll have much money or labour for anything else for 10/15 years at least.

The Cork Luas looks feasible also.

Galway Ring Road seems to be back on the table also.

I'd like us to do a deal with the army that they give us Cathal Brugha Barracks and maybe other land and we build a new barracks for them in the Curragh and also but then fancy new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

No, inflation doesn't have much effect on government debt.

As for construction capacity, the Children's hospital isn't the biggest project in Ireland - not by a long way. Something that's gone under the radar is the $17 billion new fabrication plant at Intel Leixlip - this was one of the largest commercial construction projects in Europe, and one that is using a lot of Irish companies. It is now, however, pretty much compete, so there's a lot of large-scale engineering contractors who have teams available for work again.

Not sure what data there is now.... or what data drove the plans for Metro West in the 2000s.

When the Western Bus Connects orbitals are properly up and running, this would be a good guide. The northern N4 orbital is a totally new route and it's always busy. I use it regularly, as it's really opened up opportunities to travel by public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Anybody using "green fields" as an advantage for building large tratransport infrastructure must not be too aware of the modern world. Concreting over green fields has limited potential going forward due to environmental constraints. Redevelopment and densification are the future and Dublin in particular has huge scope for this.

There is no chance that Luas Finglas will extend north of the M50. Any future orbital mass transit certainly wont be going through fields either, a public transport bridge is needed across the Liffey then buses (ideally articulated) can run across it and along the R136 and R113 on the south side and R121 and R843 on the north side, liking residential areas with employment and leisure opportunities.

The comparison here is expensive Metro tunnels, right through the heart of the city, versus an orbital surface route which would be significantly cheaper, but still connect communities of 250k+ people while interchanging with 6+ other rail options, including 3x high speed, high frequency and high capacity routes (2x Dart lines, 1x Metro).

The R136, R121 and R843 is the proposed route of Metro West. What you're really saying there is that buses are an adequate replacement for rail. Given population density of 6000/sqkm across a significant proportion of the route, I disagree.

To be clear, the "green fields" I refer to are a combination of fields, a golf course, very wide roads, and linear parks along roadways (which have purposely preserved for this very reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think patronage of the newer western orbital bus routes will be a better predictor of future metro west demand. Will be good to see how those W routes perform in the long term once they're properly bedded in (and not severed half way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

It's not just about journeys between the outer suburbs. It's people in Blanch, hopping on a Metro to Dardistown, to interchange with to get into the city. A 30-40min journey time of a higher capacity/higher frequency route that would reliably get you to city centre Dublin rather than coping with traffic.

A complete orbital going east from Tallaght on, could facilitate interchanges with both Dart and Green Line.

This can be built on the surface, opening up huge amounts of land for development and housing. Areas which badly need it. If we can create an area of brownfield, which can be a brand new neighbourhood 30min from Dublin City Centre, why wouldn't we? We would be mad not to.

Is there precedent in other cities of orbital rail routes so far out?

Copenhagen has a new circle line but it's much more central.

It's something to think about I guess.

I'd like a Metro line from Poolbeg to Tallaght with a couple of stops in Ballymount industrial estate. This should have precedent in my opinion.

I think Poolbeg will have to be redeveloped to something like Canary Wharf in future as there will be no more free land in the city centre in a few years. Another stop can be in Grand Canal Plaza so Poolbeg will just be two stops away (another stop at the Glass bottle site).

The industrial estates in the SW can be redeveloped to housing also and this Metro would facilitate that.

Like the poster above says, success of the orbital buses will give us some type of estimate to the necessity of rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Shure do nothing, and hungry bus companies won't lose their cash cows for private buses to Swords or the airport. That's what experience of Irish public administration teaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Stating a density figure means nothing unless you have something that shows that such a density requires rail. In any case, radial demand is almost certainly going to be less that demand to/from the city centre yet we are literally set on using doubledecker buses on those routes for the foreseeable future. There is no chance that we will have rail on the orbital for a very long time.

Buses (ideally articulated) would suffice and would cost a fraction of the price. Also with buses you can serve multiple corridors rather than one fixed corridor with rail. A public transport bridge would be expensive but could carry buses coming from and going to multiple places. It is also the only thing that can relieve congestion on the M50.

And no, there aren't any reservations for Metro West. The project doesn't exist in any local or national plans.

Dublin will need to continue to spread out into "green fields" as the population continues to grow.

North county dublin still has loads of green farmland that can't be sustainable long term.

County Dublin is already growing by about 25k+ people each year.

Thats the population of Galway city added to Dublin every 3 years!

Unless we ever build higher,(there is still no sign of this happening at scale, other than the odd apartment block here and there that reaches double stories) we will continue to build out, as there is no other way to manage the population growth.

This is why an underground network (not a single Metro line) is needed.

Its the only way we can move people 15 to 20 miles across the Dublin urban area/continuous housing sprawl, WITHOUT only thinking about how people get directly into the city centre. (and ignoring any radial journeys)

BusConnets etc are too slow and cumbersome to move people anywhere other than a straight line.

People dont always want to travel in a straight line and they certainly dont want to be sharing their bus space with cars, then having to wait at interchanges, unsure about which connecting stop to get off at or which bus to get, nevermind the real risk of the bus not turning up because we have no drivers.

And even if they do make it to their connecting bus, it still goes only "somewhere near" their end destination. All the while sharing the road with cars...

The bottom line there is people will just drive because its so much faster and less confusing.

They may get a bus if they are lucky enough to live right on the route and are going straight into town. Any journey outside of that category is just not worth it via bus.

The sea change in public transport for Dublin will only come from an interconnected underground which beats car travel hands down and doesnt practically restrict you to linear journeys only.

The line has, in fact, been largely preserved. You can see it on a map to the east of my red line. It's not some unbelievable coincidence that the clearly visible space just happens to be the exact route of Metro West....

I disagree that a bus route is "the only thing that can relieve congestion on the M50". A high capacity, high frequency Metro / tram route would do more than a bus route. As already mentioned Metro West would connect with at least 6 other rail modes and as many bus routes as you desire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, development is allowed there, although residential would be restricted to close to the m50 side of the area. Most of the land between the airport and the m50 is zoned as General Employment, with some Open Space, and a smaller area of High Technology.

In other words, with a Luas line going through it, it could become a large business campus, with mass transport 20 mins into the city centre, and the airport literally on the doorstep.

I don't know about this, I think green fields are still quite attractive to Irish planners and politicians. With the Metrolink project, there's at least one stop that's basically there for the green fields.

Advertisement