Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork library staff being abused and intimidated over LGBT+ books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its standard homophobic practice to rant hatefully about "deviants" and "deviancy" and to use the language of "deviant" to justify exclusion and inequality

Painting lgbt people as "deviant" is about portraying us as subhuman, mentally ill, a danger to society.....

Of course that kind of homophobia should rightfully be called out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"normal" is one of those great words that defines itself. Normal things are normal because they are the norm.

I know there are those that are hellbent on redefining what words mean these days, but thankfully words have an actual meaning, that's how people communicate effectively. You wouldn't have been able to perform your ad hominem attack without us both understanding what words mean, for example.

So now we are allowing homophobes to take over the meaning of words? I couldn't give a fiddlers what some homophobe or some transgender person decides to redefine a word to mean. Are people with 1 arm sub-human and a danger to society? How about people with different coloured eyes? All things that are not normal.

BTW you cant embrace being different and have a problem with not being normal, or at least you cant if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who thinks logically.

Jaysus. Talk about jumping through many hoops of linguiistic pedantry to prove some non existent point. "Deviant" and "Deviancy" are very very often used in a homophobic context. The poster was absolutely correct to call it out its use.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Quite frankly that's just a stupid statement. Applying 'normality' to people's sexual or gender identity is an attempt to exclude or belittle. It's not the same as applying normality to day to day objects or activities of course you already know that.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Using language about "sexual deviancy" in the context it was used in this thread couldn't be anything but homophobia.

It's homophobic language. We know homophobia. We don't need to be straightsplained with bùllshit linguistic pedantry.

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps you can bring out a special dictionary the can be used to know what interpretation you are choosing to put onto words?

"straightsplained" can go in the addendum for made up words.

The fact that some people use them in negative ways doesnt mean that everyone does.

Anyway, back to the important point. Why do children need to learn about this at this age and why do they need to learn from a library book?

We don't need to bring out any dictionary. We are perfectly capable of what is and isn't homophobia and don't need to be "educated" thanks 👍

Terry Pratchet

Speaking of definitions, that would be what's known as an echo chamber and I will leave you guys to keep agreeing and patting each other on the back about how right you all are and how bad and wrong everyone else is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What's the quote about telling the character of a man by the company he keeps?

https://x.com/iskesullas/status/1704557168685449298?s=46&t=3l1OhjvjsuAh4w9RMjlH8g

The knives in the hanging dummy surely warrants an arrest? This is a violent threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

There's absolutely no place for that kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

I'm not entertaining longwinded discussions that only play into the idea that there is some kind of problem to solve. LGBTQ+ rights are not up for discussion and LGBTQ+ people are NOT A PROBLEM.

Here are some real problems for you to write long posts about:

Housing

Health

Climate Change

Access to mental health services

Access to early intervention for childhood diseases

Policing

Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

Convenient distraction from the points that were made by the poster

🤣

These library attacks are about attacking free speech, censoring lgbt educational books, faux "concern" for children and outright pedalling of homophobic and transphobic hate.

Terry Pratchet

Deleted post

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well if they are determined to educate their parents with an authoritative reference, yes.

Not sure where you live that kids educate their parents about incest, torture and cannibalism 🙃

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well kids tend to know how to get the information as a matter of course, parents are still wondering where the C: prompt hides.

• Advertisement

All of this extremist anti lgbt hate really is despicable and disgusting

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If these so-called "christians" aren't happy they can just withdraw their kids - as many parents are forced to do when 95% of primary schools hold their daily indoctrination into nonsense session.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

English is a somewhat synthetic language that follows derivational synthesis patterns. While straightsplained may not have a dictionary entry, the statement itself is pretty easy to deconstruct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

They are just trying to protect their children

Honestly I'm glad Ireland is rising up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bit strange that the leader of the protectors of children is barred from access to his own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

And the rest of his incel army don't have any.

Those people are scum that are a danger to children

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks.

Anybody who wants to can stop their child from joining the library in the first place, or from getting a young adult account, both of which need parental permission.

But thankfully only a few people are that pig-ignorant.

Do you think kids should be prevented from going into bookshops too? Just in case they might see a book that mentions the word 'gay'?

We used to have strict censorship in this country, then as now it's a really bad idea but people who are too stupid to work out the implications love it.

"For every problem there is a solution which is simple, elegant and wrong."

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This is clearly not about the word "gay", but rather the graphic descriptions of sexual activities on such books which have been widely reported on social media. We both know that, no need to act like you know something we dont

Advertisement