Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

At the risk of bringing up the whole box debate again… did anyone buy the Johns Lane cask strength ? Did you receive a box/tube with it ?

I received mine from O’Briens but there’s no box. This has happened before where they decided not to include it, but wanted to check if there actually should be one. The regular Johns lane has one, seems odd this wouldn’t..

Post edited by fmul9798 on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm expecting one in the post tomorrow. I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No tube or box with mine today. It was well-packaged for delivery, to be fair, but is very understated in terms of display. Quite a simple label for a product that has people excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

No tube with mine either (ordered from CWS) but I have a feeling I may have seen the regular 12 y/o without tubes in Dunnes recently so I wonder have they been dropped.... might have been the Three Swallows too though.

The whiskey smells wonderful anyway, can't wait to have a tipple tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Any time I have seen the regular 12 year old, it was without a tube, again as above this would be in O'Briens and possibly the Airport (?). I assumed it was across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'd assume the newish bottle design was to make it stand out on the shelf. So box dropped as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Picked mine up today ar RRP in local office. Delighted bit tough to have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Has anyone had Redbreast 10yr old? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Is the CS a limited release?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Yes, it was the latest drop from Barrel club.

Super smooth, with a long finish. PX sherry cask is a component of the 10 year old and you can really taste the influence. I really enjoyed it.

Barrel club also provided a PX sherry sample at cask strength of 59%. It was unbelievably good.

• Advertisement

The original 10 was CS. It was lovely. I finished off one bottle fairly quick, and waiting for a bit to open the second one.

I spotted a Three Swallows in a local off licence earlier, and it was in a tube. Anytime I've bought the regular Powers on special, it was without tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If there's a particular bottle you can't get locally, there's free shipping today on IrishMalts.com with code SUPERSUNDAY.

They have the Powers 12yo Cask Strength for €90 to name check a recently discussed whiskey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Mrs brought home a Black Bush 80/20 from duty free …nice drop …on a par with Sexton or Slane , maybe even better .If you like Black Bush you won’t be disappointed and sure it will work out cheaper !

Ouch, that's not much of a compliment. On par with Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Ah its alright if you like sherry influenced stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samwise94

Thoughts on Red Spot? I haven’t tried it but I’m away at the minute and came across a bottle cheaper than home at €110

Grand. I didn’t see it as much better than the yellow. But I liked it. But I am a big of a sucker for IDL marketing!

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

I only ever fully appreciate Red Spot if I sip it after an inferior whiskey. It doesn't impress me if I go straight into it, but shines through when compared and contrasted with other drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Same for me with red spot. Nice but not as nice as you'd expect compared to yellow spot.

Blue spot, on the other hand, is wonderful, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Olympush

Probably my favourite

O'Briens told me there's no tubes at the moment, but they will be packaged with tubes at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Has anyone tasted the caks strength yet? any thoughts on it?

Going to try it tomorrow night side-by-side with the Redbreast 12 c/s and a drop of Blue Spot. Haven't had a drink for a month so looking forward to treating myself. 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I drank a good bit of the Barrel Club bottling, and it was probably my favourite Irish whiskey of recent years. Truly exceptional depth, a very interesting whiskey. I hope this meets the same standard, I suppose there's no reason it shouldn't.

Red, or do you mean Blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Red Spot is by far my favourite of the Spots. At €110, I’d pick up two bottles. It can be very hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lester_Burnham

I dropped into the shop at Midleton Distillery the other day and picked up a John's Lane CS and a Redbreast 10 year old. Neither has a box and, for what it's worth, the cashier told me they don't plan on using boxes going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Advertisement