Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just out of interest, if I follow the idea correctly, it's suggesting 6 pools of 4, going to round of 16,

So that's top 2 from each pool (12 teams), plus top 4 teams out of all the 3rd placed teams across the 6 pools (12 + 4 teams = round of 16 teams).

Now, looking at the teams as they are at the moment on the World Rankings now for example, if this world cup was using that system,

You'd have Ireland, France, South Africa, New Zealand, Scotland, and England as top seeds.

Wales, Fiji, Argentina, Australia, Italy, Japan, as second seeds.

Georgia, Samoa, Tonga, Portugal, Uruguay, USA as third seeds.

Romania, Spain, Namibia, Chile, Canada, Hong Kong as fourth seeds.

So 6 pools of 4 might look like this:

Pool A - Ireland, Japan, Georgia, Hong Kong.

Pool B - France, Italy, Samoa, Canada.

Pool C - South Africa, Australia, Tonga, Chile.

Pool D - New Zealand, Argentina, Portugal, Namibia.

Pool E - Scotland, Fiji, Uruguay, Spain.

Pool F - England, Wales, USA, Romania.

Pool stage could be 3 weeks with Week1 1v4 & 2v3, Week2 1v3 & 2v4, Week3 1v2 & 3v4.

Round of 16 like this:

Ireland v Portugal, France v Tonga, South Africa v Samoa, New Zealand v Georgia, Scotland v Japan, England v Italy, Wales v Australia, Fiji v Argentina.

Quarters like this:

Ireland v Fiji, France v Wales, South Africa v England, New Zealand v Scotland.

Semi's like this:

Ireland v New Zealand, France v South Africa.

Final like this:

Ireland v France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Was it only 10 years ago we got beat 60 nil by NZ?

Countries in the second tier are in a chicken and egg position, they need money to invest but they need exposure to generate interest and money. Its easier to attract a shirt sponsor when can have games against tier 1 sides.

I would expect a side like georgia, chile, Uruguay, portugal to make a big step up in level over the next 4 years if they get the exposure and resources needed. Sure rugby is going to be doninated by the 6 nations and rugby championship teams but the game will grow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That model results in less games for more countries , which defeats the aim of "growing the game"

Scrap the "round of 16" and have the 6 Pool winners and the two best runners up going to QF and then have the rest drop to two parallel competitions starting at QF stage.

So next 8 teams go to a "Bowl" QF and the bottom 8 go into a "Shield" QF.

That way each "tier" have a shot at a trophy and you get more games and more exposure for the teams across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah , I change it off the matchs when one team goes 30 points off. Doesn't stop the tournament being a pile shite so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 quazzy1

Did you not watch the Portugal Australia match? I know Australia are poor at the moment but Portugal gave them a great game. They definitely need tightening up in a few areas and they messed up 2 or 3 almost certain tries (one of which should've been allowed) but they play some great attacking rugby and if you actually watched the match, you'd know the scoreline flattered Australia. I'm looking forward to watching them again and think they'll be competetive in the future, along with the likes of Uruguay, who were beating France for a large portion of their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The pool system I posted which went to round of 16 could equally take the 8 teams losing the round of 16 and put them into a second cup, and the 8 teams that didn't qualify go directly to another cup. I like the idea of multiple cups, and I think there would be interest in it.

Imagine a final weekend with two finals instead of one, and the semi final weekend could coincide with the third cup final. More rugby to watch, I'd like that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,774 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fiji v Portugal has the potential to be a cracking end to the pool stages. Portugal will want a scalp and all the pressure will be on Fiji

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That works too.

Just think that in terms of the aim of growing the game , giving a Portugal etc. the ability to become "World Rugby Bowl Champions" or whatever is of huge value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Georgia notwithstanding through familiarity in Tier 2, You'd have to imagine that was the game Portugal identified as they having a remote chance of winning. That and Wales 🤡

but one undeniable flaw of these Tier 2 sides that's impossible to ignore is they're just not physically able to match the raw strength of Tier 1 - and Fiji is the same. It could be a free flowing game to entertain, but Portugal could get bossed out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The money, ultimately, would have to be good to get a solid buy into the idea, otherwise it might smell too much like an "everyone get a medal" day. At the end of the day these countries need money and structure to grow, not Mickey Mouse shields.

Overall conditioning is a significant factor - You can see the decline in the performance of Romania for example over the 4/5 weeks.

These are the toughest games they will have played in a very long time (if not ever) and they are being asked to do that 3 or 4 times over the course of 5 weeks.

Very very hard for semi-pro level players to sustain.

For sure: and in many respects that's possibly the biggest aspect of the game these countries need access to; top tier conditioning experts to help the Feeder Teams, set up to supply the national team, bring the players up those couple of notches so they don't get completely bossed out of it.

It's not like, say, with last night's game Uruguay would have won were they beefier gentlemen but time & again I've seen set pieces fall apart because otherwise talented players got walked over in the scrum et al - and by the referee, who just presume the lesser teams are idiots and need schooling.

Entertaining nobody's curiousity but my own I feel, having mentioned the match I was wondering what 145 points against Japan in 1995 looked like - and because Everything is on the internet here it is. 21 tries, 85-3 at half time, and barely a single tackle by a Japanese player spotted. Indeed, some players fell over just trying to switch direction. Japan's second try was actually pretty good! I'll be honest, 21 tries is a lot to watch, so I started skipping - and there's only so many times you can see Men Against Boys, players just jogging to the line.

My biggest surprise though was I half expected a young-ish looking Michael Leitch playing for the Blossoms 🤣

I suppose the point here is: imagine social media in 1995 and what that might have been saying about Japan participating in future World Cups. You gotta start somewhere, and for all the flaws circumstances were far more closed off back then IMO than they are now (plus there's the reasonable caveat that the match played out on the cusp of professionalism, the Japanese presumably total amateurs). I couldn't imagine a pathway for Japan in '95, whereas it's more defined now IMO.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A funny fact about that Japan game in 1995, Marc Ellis and Eric Rush had a bet going on who could score the most tries. Ellis was outside centre and Rush was a winger so dumb bet by Rush. Ellis scored 6 tries (still a RWC record) and got yelled at by the coach after the game for not passing the ball.

Simon Culhane still holds the record for most conversions and most points in a single RWC match I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Georgia can stuff it to rhe Welch manana. Can't wait for this one.

Agreed.

Georgia almost snatched it at the death against Fiji.

They had a kick through at the end that went a bit long , had the ball stood up they could have scored a try to win the game.

Wales will be out for blood though, can't see them wanting a repeat of the autumn internationals.

I think Fiji are very shaky tbh. Will probably have enough for Portugal but could struggle.

England really got a great draw for the QF's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can see France having a big win over Italy tonight.

Italian confidence must be very low after what happened against New Zealand and France will be out for blood after seeing what New Zealand did. Penaud wants top try scorer too.

France will beat Italy by around 20 pts I feel.

Italy put absolutely nothing into the New Zealand game. It's one thing being outclassed, but a complete lack of basic workrate is something else. They'll approach a 6 nations team differently.

This is their World Cup. Italy lost by 60pts to the all blacks a few autumns ago, in a week they beat South Africa. France too strong but tighter than many expect.

It depends on if there truly was some plan to throw NZ to keep Italy's powder fresh and the squad injury free. We know Italy can run France close but we also know Italy are frustratingly inconsistent. I think France would win but I also don't have faith in that prediction cos who knows what Italy shows up. The first 20 minutes will tell all.

Rassie Erasmus wouldn't be in France's position now..could be knocked out in their own world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

glad they sorted the anthems out ( a little) - for the 2 best ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

Italy extremely poor in defence. Committing very few bodies to the breakdown as well.

No answer to that ball retention there. Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭testtech05

Seemed like a matter of time alright. Wouldn't have minded seeing a better angle of the last pass though I thought looked forward real time

France looking well up for it.

Italy continuing where they left off v NZ.

• Advertisement

Terrible hames of protecting the ball catcher

Advertisement