Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where is that great republican Pearse McAuley these days? Last heard of doing time for beating up his wife, will Martin be organising another party when he gets out this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Stabbing the wife. Got out last year. I'd say collecting him the second time round was a step too far even for Martin. Maybe he paid for the taxi though. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 68,981 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wonder if we did an audit of how all party’s treated women or incidences of abuse, how things would look?

Judge described a case as the worst he had ever seen this week.

One has to ask where the outrage is about the political party involved is.

Seems outrage is a reserved matter for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Doubt it would be worse than how Gerry treated his poor niece.

• Advertisement

How do you know the answer to that?

Does it define who FF are jh79?

Of course it doesn't, which is why you don't see me or anyone decent using the occurrence or the victims to a political end or for cheap points.

The use of selective victims again.

The point is Francie as a SF supporter you can never take the moral high ground. No matter what FF/FG have done your lot have done far worse.

How many members of FF/FG have murdered children etc?

The point is jh79, is the obscene use of selective victims to score political points.

Abuse is not committed by those with a certain political ideology. It's committed by sick people.

The cover up was to protect a certain party and its terrosist comrades.

Those who ignore abuse and hand wave it away because their favourite terrorists did it are the ones you need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Him and Gerry Hutch could collect him. The Monk and McAuley have been great friends for years. The McAuley's were regular guests at his boxing events.

• Advertisement

That is bull too.

I didn't ignore any such thing.

I have seen abuse badly handled by almost every organisation in the country.

I have seen politicians cover it up across the political spectrum.

I have seen people use selective victims to score points.

And I would never define a political party by using those victims for cheap dirty points.

That is what you are doing when you cannot score points any other way. Out will come the tired old list of victims.

I'd need a long shower if I debated that way.

Doubt the families of the victims of SF/IRA think its a "tired old list".

Complete lack of empathy on your side. Child abuse, murder, rape, extortion all hand waved away because it was "for the cause".

I'm 'lacking in empathy' from from someone who selects victims to get outraged about?

Give me a break.

I'll leave you to it. Not lowering myself to that cheap emotive rubbish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: I have deleted a number of posts which were way below the standard expected. There will be no more of this "SF/IRA" crap. If you disagree with SF then fine but make your comment like a mature adult and not like some crap Irish Indo hack. However, I will issue imediate warnings &/or bans for people who continue with this behaviour. I will assume that you accept rule this should you continue to post in this thread.

@Francis McM if you have a problem with mod decisions then there is a formal process under which you can file a grievance (see link below). Publicly throwing out passive agressive comments because you were thread banned (in a different thread) due to deliberately ignoring a clear mod instruction will not work in your favour - you have even taken to the likes of AH to moan about the threadban. I will also remind you that I have given you abundant chances and warnings so please don't think that I have or am being hard on you. If you disagree with the rules then you are completely free to not post. However, based on the post of yours that I've just deleted, I would seriously advise that you think through any future posts you intend posting within this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

A broad coalition of the left would last about a week if the acrimony on display tonight amongst their Twitter armies was to be repeated at the cabinet table.

A PBP activist started calling SF “FF Nua” and one of the SF lifers took offence to it.

The Sinn Fein twisting and turning on Israel/Palestine will have an interesting effect on their ability to form a government.

Do they stick with the likes of PBP and tell the world that Jews and Israel are evil, and will that gain or cost them votes?

Do they move to the mainstream middle that is horrified by the actions of Hamas, is worried about Muslim cultural invasion, but thinks Israel is overreacting?

Awkward being all things to all people when you have to make decisions.

An article in the Newsletter outlining Sinn Fein's close ties with Hamas won't link properly and I can't post it here. Probably for the best, as the point isn't really about Sinn Fein and Hamas, birds of a feather and all that, but, more about the difficulties of Sinn Fein finding coalition partners that are in the same continent as them when it comes to foreign policy.

Sinn Fein is anti-EU, fervently anti-British, pro-Hamas, pro-Chavez, pro-Maduro, pro-Spanish separatists, recently pro-Russia etc. Apart from PBP, none of the other political parties are remotely close to Sinn Fein when it comes to this. They are way off the dial in respect of normal foreign relationships. Am I wrong in thinking this could be fatal to any coalition, not necessarily at the start, but as soon as the latest issue abroad erupts? For example, would we have been as supportive of Ukraine under a SF government? And what would that have said about us as a people, is that who we really are?

TBH, I think the world is sadly about to see what happens when the combined foreign policies of the West give a serial abuser of international law carte blanche to do what they want.

I think Irish people will very clearly state that is not who we are, if asked.

P.S. SF are not anti the EU nor even fervently anti British.

This is supposed to be the Politics forum. These answers are dodgy even for After Hours.

I am fervently pro the EU and would never have voted for a party who were 'anti' it.

Contrary to the popular propaganda beloved of some they were not taking advantage of Brexit and their position had evolved long before Brexit.

SF have been saying that our place is in the EU for a long time now.

Sinn Fein’s 2009 and 2014 EP manifestos further built on the 2004 manifesto, stating that “Ireland’s place is in the European Union – but the European Union needs to change” and also to “build support in Europe for Irish reunification”

Sinn Féin in the EU: The Evolution of Self-Determination Policy Post Brexit | UNU-CRIS

And they also work with many organisations in Britain and with British political parties and people. They are 'anti British' policy in Ireland but the 'fervently anti British' stchick is more of popular propaganda beloved of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I believe they see themselves as Eurocritical rather than eurosceptic. A more thorough examination of what that means in reality would be useful.

• Advertisement

That's what any voter should be doing for themselves.. Not listening to emotive and crude party political propaganda, like they are 'anti EU'. They simply are not.

Mod: below standard posts deleted. No personal attacks folks, keep it friendly and up to the standards!

@Seth Brundle Just want to put out that issuing such a mod warning in post 705 of a 24 page thread is likely to be missed. The norm would be placing it in the op and modifying the thread title. Not telling you how to do your job, just know this is flagged a number of times on the feedback forum as even referencing post #'s (in this case 705) is of no use to mobile users as they can't see or navigate to those post #'s. Tried PM'ing this but message wouldn't send. No idea if its due to ongoing site issues or something else

It's there merely as a reminder and to advise of deleted posts but point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

remind me how they are twisting and turning? SF dont support Hamas, but they support the Palestinian struggle. It confuses me how thats twisting and turning. SF have supported the Palestinian struggle for decades as have many northern nationalists/republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's fine if they've changed their position however removing posts from their website detailing their previous positions regarding Russia and the eu is incredibly misleading and a cynical attempt at trying to change their own history. They are reportedly doing it again with the current situation.

Why are they so ashamed of their own historical actions and opinions?

If that was an effort to deceive it was futile and naïve.

When challenged I haven't heard them reverse from their opinion on world affairs/politics.

It isn't the same as FG or FF. They have met Hamas and have not denied it.

I think Hamas have to be talked to just as the Israeli's have to be talked too and I thought talking was the only way to achieve peace here. Hume was accused of the same thing MLMD is being accused of BTW by his own party sometimes too.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

I agree it is futile and naive but it speaks to them as a group trying to hide things from prospective voters which I think is cynical and hypocritical considering its what they spend their time rightly or wrongly accusing the government of doing.

If a voter does not inform themselves that is their issue.

The reality is Vin, political parties will change opinions, that is a fact.

I would expect SF to be no different, I think party opinion/policy will change to suit certain situations while personal opinions may differ.

That's nothing unusual although it will be portrayed as different because it's SF.

Look at the current Taoiseach's opinions in 2005 on the Israeli/Palestinian situation for instance, for proof of that.

• Advertisement

I've no problem with parties changing their opinions, I fully expect them to do it and would never vote for one that didn't. I have a problem with parties trying to hide their previous positions as they think it might make them look bad as Sinn Fein seem to be trying to do for several issues. Can you think of one good reason for them to have done what they have with regards to their own blog posts and positions around Russia, the EU and now Israel and palestine? They claimed previously it was website maintenance that led to only anti EU posts being removed and to my knowledge they still haven't been re-added.

Advertisement