Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She definitely got over promoted. She's out of her depth on the morning radio programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I actually enjoyed the format of the quiz show.

Rapid fire questions and no waiting for 3 minutes while someone decides on A, B, C, or D; (It's why I like aspects of The Weakest Link, University Challenge and Mastermind). I also liked the format of going from 3 to 2 contestants.

On the negative side, the studio was overdone and Claire Byrne was a thoroughly wooden host. She has 4 poses and hand motions and that's it. Zero charisma. The small talk she tried in the later rounds was terrible as well.

She got the gig as RTE had to pay her anyway for TV work after they cancelled her TV show. They should try someone else next year. Normally once your TV show doesn't work then you're out of a job, but I'd say her wily agent covered her for that. If it's not the case and she got it from NK pressure, then that wouldn't surprise me at all either. Shows the cosy house that RTE is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Newsreader eamonn lawlor. .. after leaving RTE, he changed his name.

Now called Dayasagara

Post edited by Viscount Aggro on

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Did she jump or was she pushed, I wonder?

The first few shows of the new season suffered due to being too similar to the dreck we have been served for the last decade. Maybe Kielty is using his influence to push for some changes to the overall format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Fascinating development with the departure of this producer. It reads like they were trying to steer PK down a similar path to Tubs. Light, fluff TV, controversial topics avoided at all costs etc and he may not be that amenable to it.

Could it be that PK's natural inclination is to try to steer the LLS back onto it's original course, with...............god help us...........some actual depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

according to reports she wasn't happy with the Frampton interview. I am sure other things also, I'd say she's probable very annoyed they PK2 din't get Rory Coveny to do a hard hitting interview with PK2 about Toy Show The Musical.

she has not left RTÉ, she moved because she wanted to prove how good she was and thoughtful, but she should have been sidelined to another show for the new season. She probable only discovered the problems after the newspaper reports the following day.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Reading the report it appears she is still RTE staff, so it is not as if she walked out the door. More like a move to the RTE version of An Post's Rubber Room.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

???

Eamon Lawlor is still Eamon Lawlor

... and he's still with RTE.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

New LLS is the same as old LLS imo. I've stopped watching already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

And PK’s idea of adding “more depth” to the LLS was to interview an ex-boxer without asking him about his management’s links to Ireland’s leading crime syndicate.😨

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I might have read it wrong way. Seemed to me as if he was under instruction to avoid the topic and then commented on how he was getting flack online for doing just that. PK doesn't seem to me to be a Tub's type when it comes to controversial topics. He has a long and involved multi tweet takedown of the Tories pinned to his Twitter account. I think it's fair to assume also that Frampton wouldn't have entertained any such questions either. Easy book plug = I make appearance. Question me on Kinahan's = I don't appear.

Who knows.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

He was up until recently I think. I don't see him on the website any more.

Maybe he's using his new name :)

The same rubbish. Chat shows have had their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Frampton talks about it in other interviews no bother. Kielty wrote the foreword to his book so who knows who's decision it was not to bring it up.

Not a lot of detail in the story really, disagreeing on guests & kielty not being happy having to go on the machine as a jockey

• At least Ben Dunne displayed full humility, as far removed from Tubs persona as it gets 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

This new quiz show with this Baz whatever is another feeble attempt by rte to keep their 'talent' in work I'm guessing.

Won't be watching it. Even the sight of that man's unnamed smirk on newspaper ad gets my goat.

Where the hell they find these clowns I don't know. And they just keep making up work for them.

Rte is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

As another poster quite rightly pointed out previously on this thread or another similar one. Yes, it's been confirmed that the LLS country special has been pre-recorded.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/arts---entertainment/1315775/rte-late-late-country-special-won-t-be-live-this-friday-as-fans-vent-frustration.html

• Advertisement

abc

Post edited by Caquas on

The sudden and unexplained departure of the LLS Executive Producer is a devastating blow to RTE's efforts to revive its flagging flagship. The official line had been that PK had made a very successful start to his LLS career. So why ditch the top LLS executive unceremoniously yesterday?

Something dramatic must have happened in recent days but the media, and especially our "public broadcaster" are the most opaque and paranoid of organisations (remember that when you hear journalists demanding "full transparency" for everything and anything"). RTE hasn't offered an explanation to the dwindling number of its licence fee payers. Not even a leak from "unnamed sources close to the programme". I think the Sun is getting its quotes from PK's camp.

If the Executive Producer was a man, I would have guessed at a claim of sexual harassment but, in this case, I can think of only one issue which could have resulted in this dramatic change - the media backlash over the failure to ask Carl Frampton about his links to the Kinahan crime gang.

I could see two possible scenarios:

1. The LLS has sunk to a level where even B-list guests with books to promote can block any question they don't like ("full transparency" 😡). PK was embarrassed when the media called him out for the Frampton interview and insisted on a new Executive Producer who would stand up to would-be guests and leave PK free to manage the interview.
    2. PK was in control of Frampton's LLS appearance from the get go. He wanted to promote Frampton's book (for which he wrote the preface) and didn't want to spoil the effect by reminding LLS viewers about the Kinahans and the drugs crisis plaguing this country. When the media backlash started, the Executive Producer tried to assert herself but PK insisted he has editorial control. Bakhurst back PK and found him a new, more compliant Executive Producer (does his contract give PK editorial control? No producer would dare second-guess Gaybo but what about Tubs?)

Either way, the LLS has been holed below the waterline. No A-lister will want to get into a show where the presenter is at war with the show's executives. Not that the LLS was troubled by A-listers in recent decades. Ordinary guests should be very wary - PK will want to show that he can ask the tough questions (except for his BFFs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Where does the producer go now? What are they doing now? Are they still getting a wage? I'll just leave my job but still collect my wage..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Callans Kicks did a great take on RTE.

Tubs knows a lot. He is like a farmers scarecrow, outstanding in his field. 😉

When they said dozens tuned in instead of hundreds tuned in, you know the audience figure was way less than 100. Tubs star has really fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Indo trying to ruin kielty is comical and embarrassing for them

This is how bad RTE is as a broadcaster. On Thursday evening a new episode of Cheap Irish Homes is broadcast on RTE1. The same show is then repeated on RTE1 on Sunday afternoon and again on Monday night. I thought the RTE Player was where you went if you missed a show when it was broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think the Independent are being very hard on Patrick about the interview with Carl Frampton.

The reality is Carl always complied with the law. That’s the truth. To expect a boxer to hold a company to a higher standard than the authorities is unfair and unrealistic. It doesn’t make him a Kinahan sympathiser.

The likes of Ben Davison and Johnny Nelson personally endorsing Daniel Kinahan is totally different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement