Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes quite a few of us predicted this grinding stalemate a year ago and that neither side would have the capacity to achieve outright victory. Sadly it's looking more and more likely and the hardcore posters predicting the ever imminent collapse of all Russian defences and Crimean beach party before end of 2024 seem to have completely disappeared.

It's a sad state and I've always held the only true hope is for Putin to be ousted from within. Right now that doesn't look likely either, but hope dies last...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I really can't see Russia having the capability in the short to medium term of getting anywhere near Odessa. They would have to get across the Dnieper River and Ukraine control the other bank which has the more advantageous high ground than the side Russia holds. The always unlikely amphibious attack option by the Black Sea Fleet is now absolutely a non runner for the Russian's considering the losses the Black Sea Fleet has sustained. The minefields are also a double edged sword for Russia, as it would inhibit their ability to attack northwards from anywhere in the land bridge. That would leave the Donbass as the most feasible/practical objective but even that's a big ask for Russia as I don't think they have the sheer manpower and material to overwhelm Ukraine, not without another wave of mobilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It took the more capable Wagner a year and tens of thousands of death just to take Bakhmut city with 70k pop. They couldn't take Odessa(pop 1mil) when they had the element of surprise and a 10:1 artillery advantage and Ukraine had none of the tech they do now.

The regular Russian military has failed to take much of anything since the beginning of the war. They've been doing ok'ish on defence so far. But that's about all they've shown they can do. I think the days of Russia making any more serious territorial gains has passed. Odessa is fantasy at this stage.

I've been subscribing to this guys ideas for a while now. Seems like a reasonable synopsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I can't see them taking Odessa but holding most of what they have is now a distinctive possibility.

Unless the West becomes serious about it and who can see that happening.

The next offensive will be up against a more dug in, greater numbers.

This one might keep going at a low tempo, focused on very specific targets but the weather will bring the main thrusts to an end. Hopefully sheer determination and favourable conditions allow more than expected.

• Advertisement

Odessa is completely off the table for the Russians , I believe it did heavily feature in there original plans if they succeeded in taken Odessa ealy on in the war that would have given them a foothold to attack Moldova,but more importantly cut off Ukrainian access to the blacksea ,it would take huge resources now in men ,boats and aircraft to launch any meaningful assault let alone hold it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

20,000 Wagners transferred to Bakhmut from Africa, Russias army really can’t do anything by themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Between the miserable time they had trying to capture Bakhmut in the first place and their leader's plane blowing up over Moscow, how motivated would your average Wagner merc be to really fight in Ukraine? They seemed pretty over the whole sorry business when Putin offered to let them return to Africa. I know that they're to be absorbed into the regular Russian military structure, but I thought the point of being a mercenary was that you weren't fighting on ideological grounds so much as you were out to make money. Surely the risk/reward is bigger in Africa where you can chew through poorly-armed rebel militias rather than a NATO-backed Ukrainian army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's probably nearer to what will happen though.

Denial is not just a river, short changing Ukrainian on what it needed was always going to be Risky.

The price of victory now will be significantly higher, the only chance Russia had once the Red Army failed in the first few months was to hold on, it has been allowed do that.

Will there be another 150k Russian soldiers in the occupied areas by next May, may be a lot more and the lads there now have gained a lot of combat experience.

They just have to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is this referring to last Spring? I can't find anything more recent suggesting any Wagners transferred to Bakhmut. Do you have a source / reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not sure I agree with putin's troops being called the red army, which was the title given to the forces of the Soviet Union which no longer exists. I don't agree that a stalemate is probably nearer what will happen in Ukraine as I don't think there will be any time limit on the willingness of Ukraine to free themselves from being relentlessly attacked by putin's terrorists. The supporters of Ukraine might have been able to send more but have sent a lot and even if there was more equipment in Ukrainian hands now would they have had enough highly trained troops and maintenance technicians to keep NATO equipment running to expel putin's troops from their territory this year? Who honestly believed in a fast victory for Ukraine?

I suspect the bravado about a Crimea beach party for Ukraine in the summer just gone was more to suck more of putin's forces into the areas of the occupied territories where they could be targeted and eliminated more easily and Ukraine knows they need to break putin's war machine if they are to ever see peace and they continue to make progress in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

We can probably expect a similar October to September ie. Not much change. Hopefully a little more progress is made near Bakhmut also.

Ukraine badly need another battery from Poland aswell as the one rumoured from Germany. Would be nice if the US sent one aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ukraine never had to win militarily outright and it always seemed unlikely unless there was a massive influx of western gear. But the fact they've hammered Russia as badly as they have is a win that cannot be over-stated. Even before western equipment arrived in significant quantities.

Right now it's a conventional war, and Russian economy is taking a battering, as well as the horrendous military losses. They're a million miles from defeating Ukraine in said conventional war, and even if they ever got there (an absolutely monumental if at this stage) then they would still face the gruelling guerrilla phase.

Ukraine has to not lose. Russia has to win, not in the overrun the country sense, but achieve some sort of tremendous battlefield victory that breaks the back of the AFU.

Even if Russia were to gain a military advantage in this conventional stage (possible), and even if they were capable of slowing inching forward (somewhat possible), and even if they were capable of delivering a fatal blow to AFU (highly unlikely), they would still face a nightmare of pacification.

This all with the fact that Russia doesn't have an economy and industry capable of supporting a costly, large in scale ongoing war. Yes it can afford to divert funds to the military in a way that wouldn't be possible in any western European nation, but there is certainly a limit to what they can do.

Look what happened the USSR in Afghanistan. It gets mentioned a lot but there's a reason why. Some wars are just unwinnable, sometimes in the short term, sometimes the long term - the Ukraine war is literally both at once, it's the absolute worst case scenario arising from February 2022.

So sure they can keep going, but to be honest at this stage it looks like Putin is pulling a Hitler and completely hedging his bets on a fallout among Ukraines allies. Even then, if that were to happen, Ukraine isn't going to roll over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Send your man Delaney and former his FAI buddies over to sort out the whole thing

Not sure where they got the idea of them getting the iron dome system, America was testing part of the Israeli system,but nobody outside of Israel actually has or operates the iron dome which is made up of multiple weapons and radar arrays the Israelis wont active it unless there is a severe threat to life in Israel as it's hugely expensive to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This is a good take. Ukraine is currently making Very small weekly gains at high cost but Russia is also suffering heavy losses.

If Ukraine decices this is unsustainable they have the option to not push into new positions and just attack from range instead while in full defensive mode.

Obviously Ukraine don't want this but it will still hurt Russia long term as they'd have to maintain their all out war effort to just keep such a stalemate and economically that would cripple them over 5 or 10 years.

I just hope western support is in this long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

The Red Army was able to fight its way from Moscow to Magdeburg, the Russian Army have difficulty taking a medium sized field a few miles from the Russian border, I know you think you're insulting them but you're not, you're doing the exact opposite, which is just silly (unless you're Russian).

The Ukrainians have just kicked the Russian navy out of the western Black sea, they've gained artilery dominance on the battlefield in an artilery dominated war, they're destroying Russian command and control centers and have the Russians frenziedly moving reserves all over the place, as one retired US general stated, the Ukrainian General Staff are running rings around the Russians.

The battles going on at the moment around Verbove and Novoprokopivka are not just battles for those vilages, that's the battle for southern Ukraine. Looking at lines on a map is not the best way to judge how this war is developing, wars are not won just by gaining territory, but by destroying your enemy's ability fight effectively, and Ukraine are slowly degrading the Russians ability.

You have to stand back and look at things holistically, only then can you judge how things are really going, and it's far from heading for a stalemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

I am finding it hard to get my head around your take on things . I think you have ignored- unintentionally , I assume- , some very strong counter argument points eg:-

(1) Ru completely failed in Afghanistan and PULLED OUT / WENT HOME. Main reason was it was becoming bankrupt and the body bags did not go down too well with the ‘ ordinary’ Russians. Is the same not on the cards now ? Has the body bag count tripled in quarter of the time it was in Afganistan . This has to impact negatively on the suffering families minds UNLESS their sons are not as important to family as they used to be?

(2)To support your argument Putin will have to continually have regular periods of mobilisation - and will that actually happen - Russians continue to be ‘enthuastic’ re turning up for the front and especially from those well to do areas eg Moscow, St Petersburg.

(3) Things have been happening in Russia to indicate that there is significant negative reaction to the war e. So little of this is getting out when one considers the total control Ru has on news outlets eg street protests;, jailing protesters / anyone out of line; people leaving Ru when the war started; burning of recruitment offices; recruiting officers being shot, ; etc.

will (1) and (2) above feed in to the escalation of point 3. ? It has to in some shape or form

(4) (a) your argument re Russia coming out on top is based on Ru having more arnaments/equipment and soldiers than UKr. You ignored the difference between both army’s re motivation, level of training, care / support given - especially to the front line, quality of arnaments, (b ) do you also assume that the Ru arnaments production output will outstrip that of the supporters of UKr in both quality and quantity . Am thinking of Canada, Us, Uk, Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark ,Holland, Italy, Japan, Greece, Latvia, etc, etc, etc

(5)comparing how ready UKr was to defend itself when Crimea was taken in 2014 - little or no resistance given- to how Ru by stealth with its little green men ‘took over parts of The Donbas and Luhansk Regions to how it has performed to date - ESPECIALLY in the first week , then I would expect The Ukr army/population to significantly improve its capabilities further. It has come SO FAR in such a short time

of course the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM is will the UKr supporting countries continue that support until the ‘problem is DEFINATELY put to bed forever. On balance I think so as the international community has no choice- like as it is with UKR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would imagine many of these that stay would also be older residents ,who would rather risk dying in their homes than move to a foreign country.

The harsh reality is to reach a tipping point in Russia, the Elite in Russia have to really start to suffer, then the war will most likely end by popular revolt or a coup, no matter how tight a grip Putin has on the country. By suffering i mean If the well to do in Russia were left without electricity for much of the upcoming winter we could get to that stage. At the moment there is enough support for the war in critical regions because it's only the poor ethinc groups from the stans and rural regions bearing the brunt of this war .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Plus what's happening in Israel now they definitely won't be selling any irom dome systems as they will probably want more to protect Israel. Things like this plays into Russia's hands as well because the world gets distracted by other events elsewhere, that events elsewhere might dictate where military hardware/supplies/money that should go to Ukraine might having to go to other countries. Putin more of less has his eggs in the 1 basket which is Ukraine but America and the western countries have a lot more places where they would help out other then Ukraine if the need arises and that ends up spreading money to other places that might of ended up going to Ukraine. That's what I really worry about in this conflict the longer it goes on the more things that might happen that America etc. That their attention and money might have to go there and not to Ukraine while Russia just has to worry about Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The loss of soldiers that are being recruited from the poorer parts of Russia are obviously not having the impact required to bring about unrest and a rise in opposition. In many cases the wives of these soldiers are left in a better situation in a country where domestic violence is socially acceptable.

The west is clearly not producing enough ammunition to sustain the war indefinitely and the appetite to move towards a war type economy in western countries is completely absent in my opinion.

Plus the fact that Russia are attacking that appetite on a bewildering array of propaganda fronts and are depressingly having significant success.

In the Afghanistan situation the USSR was falling from a far loftier position. Russia was in the gutter long before they invaded Ukraine so they are not really falling from anything like the same height.

They are also having significant success avoiding the oil sanctions and are making as much as they ever made from their oil industry.

Western countries would happily accept a Cold War 2.0 / Korean solution to this current war rather than escalating munitions production to the point where it impacts their economies. For 50 years they sat on their hands looking at the Berlin Wall and the iron curtain in the middle of Europe. How much easier will it be to live with an iron curtain 1000 miles further east.

putin just lost the area of Azerbaijan that his troops were trying to occupy so it is becoming very evident that him putting all his eggs in one basket and getting his military decimated in Ukraine is coming home to roost and there are many other countries that could use the war in Ukraine as a help in seeking freedom from moskow. The russian federation could easily start to fall apart if the losses putin is experiencing in Ukraine continue and even more so since the further reaches of the federation are the ones getting fed into the meat grinder more than the wealthier urban areas of moskow and st. petersburg. I think it is much more likely that the rusiian federation has a civil war than all of Ukraine's supporters suddenly reverse all they have said about committing to Ukraine for the long term and loose interest no mater how much putin's propaganda machine would like to make people think this.

"They are also having significant success avoiding the oil sanctions and are making as much as they ever made from their oil industry."

Any evidence for this? I know there are reports of increased imports of oil products from India and they are likely to be made from russian oil but isn't India getting the oil from russia at a knock down price. Are the same profit margins there for putin to invest in the war he started in Ukraine?

The west will never move to a war time economy footing. That in itself could prove to be a propaganda victory to Putin in the long run as public support for Ukraine would likely erode significantly once the economic consequences of such a move began to take effect . Also I believe the current strategy in the west is a slow bleed of Russia that forces Putin to eventually make another goodwill gesture that involves Russian troops going home . This has two advantages in their thinking, it means Russia can not be a threat to American interest for years to come. It also avoid the opening of a pandora's box if a sudden and total defeat were imposed on Russia.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

101 roubles to the dollar.

Let's see if we can make it to 110

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

i have no evidence myself just going by what Peter zeihan here says and it does sound plausible

https://youtu.be/kH5e4e8J9Pk?si=c8rHCpP9v6lj_mBa

• Advertisement

Talking about bad timing definitely was expecting to wake up to that , that's another war to deal with, Israel won't take this laying down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement