Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

I repeat the Mod warning in the OP

It has already been stated numerous times in this thread but some posters seemingly cannot resist trying to make this thread about transgenderism. It is about Burke, his behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour. Stick to the topic or expect to be threadbanned

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this post in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hey, I don't object to the speed limits on the whole. In fact I agree with many in principle. But it's the compulsory nature of them that I oppose. I'll just ignore them and drive just how I f**kin like. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lecturer in "world religions" 🙄

Stealing a living at taxpayer expense in other words

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There already is legislation which allows religious ethos schools to 'uphold their ethos'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Religion is a protected ground, but I am free to not have any religious beliefs and cannot be discriminated against because of that.

That's not the case at all in the Republic at least, a religious ethos school (or other employer) is specifically exempted from equality legislation and allowed to refuse to hire a person or dismiss them on the grouds of their religion and/or to protect their ethos.

So if they find out that you're no longer a practising catholic, are 'living in sin' etc. they can fire you and you have no recourse. This has happened. Of course the usual effect is (as in the article) non-catholics don't apply for posts in the first place, 'keep their head down', or don't apply for promotion posts where they know they'll be discriminated against anyway.

The whole system is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are right, and it says that in the article. I made a bit of a pig's ear of my argument, I had been reading the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission publication https://www.ihrec.ie/your-rights/ which states that no-one can be discriminated against on grounds of religious belief or lack of them. My general point stands, that there are too many contradictory things going on for it to be reasonable to make absolute rules that cannot be argued, but yes my argument is muddled, I was aware of the situation with teachers and the exceptions for schools, which in the current climate are completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can a teacher in a Catholic school still be fired if cohabiting with a partner?

That's outrageous in 2023! If the church has such a hump about that why allow couples who are cohabiting, many with children, to get married in a church? Staggering hypocrisy.

Whether they'd do it or not, there is nothing legally stopping a school doing that.

The only exception is that sexual orientation was specifically protected in law a few years ago. But you can still be fired for no longer being a catholic, no problem. More likely to be overlooked for employment in the first place though (some BOMs have openly said they will always employ a catholic/protestant over others regardless of merit) or passed over for promotion posts.

Really the whole exception for 'religious ethos' employers should have been scrapped at that time and all teachers given the right to opt-out of religious instruction.

Ireland will arrive in the 20th century one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why is religion a protected right when your political leanings are not, or your preference for rugby over GAA, or your wish to have tattoos or piercings? The whole thing needs rather more thought than has been given it. Experiences in the North of Ireland show why a person's perceived religious/political/social background should not be a barrier, similarly with people of Jewish or Muslim background in a Christian country (and vice versa, though we have no control over that).

However using religion to come up with often abstruse opinions and calling them religious beliefs should not be a free pass to demand everyone else goes by your standards. Everyone should be free to argue their moral and spiritual beliefs, provided they are not directly hate speech or threats, but it does not follow that if they tag these beliefs with the word 'religious' they should have special authority.

In case it needs to be said, again, EB is entitled to have his beliefs, and he could have expressed them, but he chose to disrupt his place of employment, act unprofessionally, trespass, disrupt school business, defy the courts and make a nuisance of himself. These are not rights and he is being dealt with as consequence of these actions, not his beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

100%. The state pays the salaries and pensions and the church owns the buildings and call all the shots. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

The fact that in 2020 an order of nuns was going to build, own and be on the board of the new national maternity hospital shows how little we moved on. A couple of the senior doctors were quoted in the media essentially saying ‘what’s the big deal with that?’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would be a very stupid thing to do one way or the other given the teacher shortage. Especially if it was a popular teacher.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Not anymore. Legislation was changed a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Minister for Transgenderism!

222Audi!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The family that prays together stays together ....... well not exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭chooseusername

What's their beef with Foley?

Ok, I know they're calling her the minister for transgenderism, (or is it her 222 Audi?) But what would they have her do?

They are determined to turn Enoch's plight away from his behaviour into the whole transgender argument.

Herself is fit enough, I couldn't run like that and be shouting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

……

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Play the "transgender is against the word of God" card and anything they can link to it [like the new sex education curriculum] and those they decide to hold responsible are ok to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

A 222 Audi! A year old upper mid range saloon..the sheer largesse. The road to hell is shorter with a newish Audi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I still can't understand this lad. The whole point of religions is to make people want to be good and respectful of everyone around them...that's usually the core tenant.

The most religious these days are usually the ones that go against that core idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not exactly, those that are extreme in their religious beliefs think they are saving others from themselves.

They revel in the struggle, the pain and suffering. In their eyes it makes them worthy. Through the struggle the world then realises the error of its ways.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Seen this last night on tik tok them clowns standing out in the rain with their school kid placards shouting the same rubbish over and over again, all they are doing is showing how much they are making a mockery of the judiciary in this country and the time that’s wasted with Garda having to keep them under control, Enoch and them should be studied to show how one person can make a whole family dysfunctional in the present day.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭BK5

Demanding that Norma Foley answers questions, can these people not see the sheer hypocrisy of statements like that? Trying to have any kind of dialogue with the Burkes has been proven time and time again to be a waste of time. The whole lot of them have dug themselves into a big hole now and they're only solution is to keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that the whole point? History would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What a pack of knobs. Shrill shouting and banners they’ll surely change the world. The son with the banner that says Enoch Burke Mountjoy Prison is hilarious. I find it hard to believe if there was a god theyd have interest in spending time with them in the afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Theres more...

Gardaí on the scene here, did Daddy try to throw himself under the car to try and stop Norma from leaving?

I think this is the most vocal I've ever heard Sean.

Also, this school is where Esther Burke is employed as a teacher. (Esther is said to be well liked at the school, and doesn't engage in her family's antics).

Absolute clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Burke's are old money. They are never fans of new money types.

He "bravely" threw himself behind the car 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

He "bravely" threw himself behind the car 🤣

Yeah, I copped that on re-watch!

What did he think they were going to do, reverse over him? 🤡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Given his choice of wife maybe he was hoping they would reverse over him

Advertisement