Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Most milk suppliers are also plc shareholders,I know they pay poor milk prices but lower plc share price won't improve milk price... awful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It will probably soften the price of land in Kerry co-op area as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

bought a second hand parlour 2 years ago and retro fitted into our existing parlour, 8 ft pit. unreal job, milked the previous 20 odd years in a 4 ft 6inch pit, so the wider the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

by all accounts many of the older generation have been cashing in their shares this year... Kerry is 50yrs old... im guessing many of the older generation who were in their 20's/30's when it started are now in their seventies/eighties and shares will basically have to be sold to avoid a wallop of tax... you'd know more bout that than me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

How much would it roughly be to retro fit swing arms to a 12 unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

These are drawing from east of bandon to proper west cork. 30 to 40 miles.They have been doing it for years. They are no fools. One farmer has his own men and tractors drawing. Same for silage during the summer, 30 or 40 miles. Around here is fit for only grass. I paid 30 euro a ton for lime delivery, not spread. Straw will be over 30/round bale this year. If they can get it. You have to travel when you are in real rural places

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

It doesnt add up you see the same farmers will complain about milkprice beef but not look at own cost.I dont make any silage after july its a waste of time given the cost to make it.Drawing silage 30 40 miles id milk less cows at home and set the land to some greedy derogation farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Your whole greedy derogation farmer narrative is getting tiring…

Is it or is it a different opinion. IMO when you go beyond 80-90% efficiency net margins are marginal.

Definitely in beef unless you are willing to spend 3-4 days a week around a mart ring ( even then it a different skills base) efficiency is a subjective analysis.

There comes a time when running around like a blue ar$ed fly is counter productive.

The hard part is realising where any system is at that stage.

Slava Ukrainii

Fair enough there is probably guys running into mad numbers in derogation overstocking ground but when you have someone milking 60 cows on 80 acres say which many derogation farmers may be that’s hardly greed that’s just someone trying to make a living with the cards they were dealt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It's easy to say that when gains are so marginal, In some cases, the difference between being in derogation can be the difference between an enterprise being viable or not.

I agree with @Jack98, The chap he's referencing has been coming in since day one with the same spiel tarring all dero farmers with the one brush.

You'd wonder if his tune would be the same if he didn't have a large landbase, real or imaginary, to milk a comfortable no. of cows.

Ear to the ground even though I wouldn’t rate it did a good episode on derogation this year, they had a fella in kilkenny with about 60 cows and his replacements on under 100 acres between owned and rented. This man was making a living and was stressed larger farmers would push him off leased land and he’d become unviable if this came to pass.

I think this would have been representative of a lot of derogation farmers. In that episode they also had some ape from Wicklow on milking 200 cows on 400 acres pontificating about farmers need to do better that fella wouldn’t have a clue about derogation and is typical of the lads talking down to derogation farmers…

Are the IFA or any of the farm organisations out lobbying specifically for farmers with lower numbers in derogation.

No they are not they are using lads with lower numbers as examples to try to stop the whole lot. This was signposted even at the last IFA election four years ago. There is an old saying that hard cases make bad law.

Yes there are many lads with 60-80 cows that are probably on the borderline. However there is a lot of intensive lads that are hitting 300kgsN/HA. A 20 acre piece of jand will not solve these lads issues.

Most of the problems for farmers is farm organisations will not actually negotiate and bring home the bad news. It's always a case of ''Ulster Says No'' with them

If you want to protect a subsection of farmers you go and negotiate for them.

Slava Ukrainii

Them small boys in derigation are been used by the big boys to show men going out of buisness there are some but the vast mjority of derogoation farmers are big farmers.Many have leased farms in son daughters name got entitlements on it or gone into partnership to get entitlements and grants.These are the same boys who wanted longterm tax free leasing so owners wud give long term now its coming back to bite them .There the lads walking streets of limerick in the rain last month crying poor mouth i knew a few of them same boys who will get petmits to get africans asian to milk there cows same boys who gets students.Small farmers dont get these benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Vast majority of dero farmers are big farmers …….absolute crap ….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's a bit like Clark Kent and Superman round here.

The majority in derogation are on a small land base in the favourable grass growing areas. That's why they can stock stronger than the North and West.

They've always been this way. They've been in derogation since the rules said they had to apply for a derogation to continue as is.

Have you boys any proof to back this up like.Why dont farm orgs push for the poor auld 60 cow farmer to be left alone and tackle the big shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Must be the weekend when this **** starts....

What proof have you the vast majority derogation farmers are big farmers apart from the few around you which you’re using as your sample size which is understandable because you clearly don’t get out much…

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How do you know what farmers are in derogation. How does anyone know this stuff?

• Advertisement

Seeing as it’s one of the biggest issues of the last year, if you talk to your neigbors, are in a discussion group or socialize with farmers I’m sure it’s going to come up…

Exactly and in all fairness the 60 80 cow farmer being forced to reduce by say 10 cows isnt going to make any differnce at all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Have any numbers been published on the herd size of farmers in derogation?

Til then, it’s only mud slinging on here re 60-cow herd in derogation to be viable versus 300-cow herd in derogation to be greedy.

IFA should ask the Dept for the figures. If they don’t, the accusation stands that they’re only kicking up a fuss for the 300-cow man.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

And sure you’re whiter than white if you’re not in derogation too even though you’re not subject to half the stipulations derogation brings and inspections. Go figure…

I agree that derogation farmers are split across size. The lads with the biggest issue now however are the very large operators as @daiymann 5 is pointing at. There are a good few very intensive large operators that will seriously have to reconfigure there operations.

These lads already have there heifers rearing outsourced or off farm and calves have to be dumped out the gate at ten days . The milking platform was stocked at 4/ HA or above under the old banding with land rented for maize or silage a distance away.

The rebanding has created a headache and the new derogation limits along with the increases in volume of slurry to be exported. These are the lads that are really hurting and anybody thinking different is not looking at it from this angle. So there is a push to bring the smaller operator forwards as being the most significantly hit.

The farmer stocked at 2/ HA will muddle through. He will probably have to move heifers off farm or rent a bit of lands a distance away down a lane where large machinery cannot go. That is not an option for larger operators.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd have to wonder how many boardsies are behind the daiymann account?

It's a weird narrative being spun here and you'd wonder why?

As someone with a small herd in dero and the talks/courses for dero farmers where it's small farmers at them and then you come on here listening to non dero farmers preaching what they know of dero farmers, is beyond belief.

There's nothing known by the non derogation farmers on here. It's only winding to find out and hope if it's not rebuked that it's believed by others.

The journal had graphs of herd sizes and derogation a while back but I'll be buggered if I'm going looking for it for a boards wind up discussion. I've slurry to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

And why are you getting so worked up about is as you are not dairying. This is the biggest problem facing farmers, lads with no skin in the game pushing their agenda including the the city dwellers believing they have a right to dictate. And in case you think you are immune believe me the city folk are dictating how you farm too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, another part of it that doesn’t add up - the derogation farms have more red-tape and are monitored more (on paper at least) than the non-derogation farms.

If the derogation farms are the problem, how come the Dept haven’t the evidence to back up this claim?

Disclaimer: I’m around 170kg with 30 calves and 30 x 1-2 year-olds on 30-ish acres. If I go milking, I’m not doing figures based on being in derogation but equally I wouldn’t rule it out if it’s still available in 2025.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Its the biggest problem as u say facing a very small majority of the countries farmers

• Advertisement

Minority

Advertisement