Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You called me anti semetic based on absolutely nothing, reasoning with you would be like reasoning with a brick wall.

for the record(and other readers and posters benifit) - I do not agree with these attacks conducted by Hamas or other palastinans. I do not agree with violence at all. But my head is not in the sand and I can see how and why a dog backed into a corner and prodded with stick might bite every once and awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TBF You were too busy demonising Israel to actually condemn this mornings butchery against them.

What a shock!

Just after seeing a video on X/Twitter of the corpse of an Israeli woman stripped naked with broken limbs in the back of a pickup truck full of celebrating Hamas thugs. They won’t exist in a couple of weeks after Israel is done i’d wager.

Obviously not but only one side is held responsible, even is this thread theres folks much more concerned with blaming Israel than even contemplating critiqing Hamas.

Hamas themselves have just handed Gaza to Israel and signed the death warrants of many Palestinians.

Is balance not allowed? It’s very easy to demonize Israel to be fair - what is being conducted daily is against lots of international laws - but what does that matter. The palastinian boogy man justifies it all. I can also demonize Israel all I want without being “anti-Semitic” it’s a country isint it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

And how the f@ck do you think they will achieve that aim without wiping out significant number of Palestinians?

Have you witnessed the IDF butchers in action? They are an indiscriminate killing machine be it so called terrorists, or innocent Palestinian children, journalists, nurses, the list goes on.

Hamas is a terrorist government - why does Palestine have a terrorist government ?

have you asked yourself that question?

Because I have no interest in your whataboutery attempting to deflect away from what they have done/are currently doing.

Stance understood why you are so desperate to deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

They destroyed at least one Merkava (tank) and there's already footage up of how they did it - a drone-dropped munition similar to what's been used in Ukraine.

Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Horrendous situation, which is only going to get worse, much worse.

Emotive responses aside, does anyone more knowledgeable know what the Hamas plan and end-goal is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is little point responding to such posters. He / she has already ignored various posts that point this out. In their world view Israel are blameless. Any post that is pro Israel will be quoted the rest are ignored. if this seemingly never ending cycle of violence is to end two things need to happen, the Hamas Leadership in exile really needs to pay a price. This uprising would not be happening without their say so. Also America needs to start putting real pressure on Israel to negotiate a solution The former might happen, the latter sadly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

On the contrary the IDF are far too nice. They give warnings in advance of the strikes so civilians can get out of the way. Something denied to the civilians in Israel this morning.

Yes ignoring whataboutery is bad for the agenda at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think those who witnessed what they did to Gaza in 2014 would take issue with you. It takes some level of pro Israel sychophancy to use the word 'nice' in any sentence with the 'IDF'.

Seems some groups just want to kill as many Israeli's as they can, while others are picking up Israeli's and (after a healthy beating) bringing them to Gaza to be used as human shields against the looming counter attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I won't pretend to know a lot about the conflict, but history tells us, the stronger the initial Palestinian attack, the more ferocious the Israeli reprisal.

All I can come up with as regards Hamas's thinking on today's attack, is that Hamas will goad the IDF into such a bloodthirsty response that other middle eastern countries feel obliged to lend support, leading to all out war in the Middle east. Hence a better chance for Hamas to achieve a whole Palestinian independent state and wipe Israel off the map.

I read that last paragraph back at it sounds ludicrous enough to be a bad action movie. But it's the Middle East so who knows.

I can't help but feeling, that if you took the leadership from both sides out of the decision making and put 20 regular Israelis and 20 regular Palestinians in a room to negotiate, you'd have a workable peace plan in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

A Little thread worth reading around the Logic for this Hamas attack

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another day , Another war .

Definitely unexpected but I get the feeling this won't be over in a few days it will be interesting to see if Hamas showcases some new found weapons last time around it was Russian antitank weapons,that they had some initial success with,but Israel has updated it's defence systems on its tanks and other vehicles.

• Advertisement

Okay.

Let’s be morons and just look at this as a random isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LubaDriver

I don't have a in depth knowledge of this conflict (I doubt many here do) but I cannot see any strategic reason for Hamas to take this action this morning. Their behaviour has certainly lost them support at least among Western nations but I doubt that matters to them.

The only reason that I can think they've taken this route is in order to create chaos. They weren't getting anywhere so lashing out and throwing all the cards in the air seems to me that it's a hope that that through the unpredictability of war things might break favourably for them. I doubt it.

Israel won't show much restraint in their counterattack and given the barbarity on show this morning I doubt many western nations will be trying to hard to hold them to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Humans are absolute rotters in how they treat each other, happens in many conflicts across the world including this one , beit what the Saudis are up to against the Yemenis or the Chinese in Tibet to name just two

the source however of the Israeli - Palestinian conflict is property theft by the Israelis , Israel will obviously win decisively here but spare us the whining about blowback, the Palestinians have a never ending hell foisted upon them and naturally lash out every so often, this is just another example

I don’t care about the religious dimension, you steal someone’s property, you are going to have resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Seriously depressing development that will inevitably end with Palestinian deaths outnumbering Israeli deaths by about 50:1, but Hamas don't seem to care about this, let the women and children pay the price as long as they kill a few Israelis along the way.

Which is not to excuse Israeli oppression either. Both sides are awful.

Would be better if the whole backwards region was just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

It's part of a continuum going back 70 years when Arabs have refused to accept Israel's existence.

Hard to move on when your classed as sub human by your “neighbor” who continues to encroach and plant on the little resource poor land you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I cringe when I see the Palestinian flag at Irish events. Where do you think you as a white Christian would be safer? Also an apartheid state? No wonder, it’s worse than the north here!

Maybe they wanted a boost in popularity? Strategically this is just outright suicide, and most of the terrorists having fun today will be shortly wiped out and Gaza wiped out and returned to Israel.

So maybe Hamas are banking on the inevitable bloodbath Israeli counter attack to provide them with more recruitment material and promote their victimhood mentality?

Theres nothing to be gained whatsoever otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

one side is held more responsible because they actually are more responsible via their ethnic cleansing and land theft and all else.

absolutely hamas are no angels that's a given, but ultimately israel created them by not believing in borders and then playing the victim when caught out on it's behaviour.

not to mention israel claims to be a western style democracy.

the reason we in ireland identify with the palestinian plight is that it is similar in a sense to northern ireland, a supremecist state imposing it's will on a minority via violence.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Israelis are taking heavy losses in people and equipment, Hamas has literally walked into Israeli bases on the border unopposed

Advertisement