Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jokes, i presume because it's not our job to sit through hours of boredom. Most people have families and lives. If I looked back on my life and realised I sat through a half decade of boring races and ignored the gosson, and then saw a good season, I'd be furious with myself.

In reality, I ignore the poor entertainment l and just follow the results, and tune in for good season.

Maybe I'm just a fair weather fan. But I think F1 has to compete for my time. This year, other things take priority because the entertainment is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Re. Stroll, Aston have announced their entry into WEC from 2025. They have said that Alonso and Stroll won't be involved, but they could be the out Stroll needs? Next season could be his last in F1, then move to WEC where he could still do very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

I guess it's all just taken a toll on stroll (scuse the rhyme) there's literally no reason for him being so far behind other than him ultimately not being very good, can't blame the car, can't blame team orders/strategies. Even with Aston being massively out developed second half of the season Alonso is still making the most of the car.

Does he really enjoy just languishing at the back of the grid? Hard to imagine he does, maybe he might pack it in, maybe daddy is putting the pressure on, who knows. It's annoying as a spectator seeing a competitive car for a while only being half utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So issues with the tyres in Qatar. Seems that the kerbs are causing delamination or separation between the side wall and the top layer. They might mandate the maximum numbers of laps permitted on a set in-race to 20 Laos, forcing a three-stopper!! Interesting!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If Max wins or has won the WDC ( Yes I am behind as I had more important things to be doing yesterday) during a stupid sprint race then I am done with F1 which is perfectly good with me as I can then cancel my Sky too. Who needs T.V anyway when we have everything in the palm of our hands.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

3rd or 4th time dramatically quitting F1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

But how can they cancel Sky, when they continually go on about watching the race highlights as they won't pay for sky....

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That had me puzzled too. Probably had more important things to be doing than cancelling Sky. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Don't worry I have no interest in the race highlights now either. Yes I have basic Sky but the price for it is not basic anymore and Sky have no one but themselves to blame. I only watch depression sh-it like the news on it anyway and am done watching them

too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Don't worry I am doing it this time

It has been diluted beyond what is good for it there is too many races now and the championship should not be won on a silly second tire race.

That's OK I still have Formula-e and Extreme E which I can watch on You-Tube.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Does this mean you won’t be posting in F1 threads anymore?

I think I’d miss his/her race reviews a day late. 😁

Ms

Nope I still will if I see or hear about a race it will just be a different post.

Awe thank you 😊.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Longing

Well if you have ok or good internet just get NOW TV. I get all Sky channels for 6 euro a month that's entertainment about 16 channels. The show race highlights on Sky Showcase HD Aswell.

But you can get the sports package for little has 15 euro a month from codes on boards.ie even has little as 10 euro at times. Just browse back through the thread.

Now TV - latest deal codes - Page 97 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Perez looks to be in a fair bit of danger in keeping his seat - another weekend and and another awful performance. Sprint wasn’t his fault but he struggled in the race too which has been pretty common.

Horner after the race when questioned about it was pretty unequivocal - he needs to get back to the front of the grid. the 3 main competitors have driver pairing that have been far closer in positions and if the gap isn’t so wide next year Max may not be able to win the constructors by himself.

If he loses out on second spot this season I could see RB pulling the trigger before the season starts. It would take a miracle to get his contract extended at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

There must be a ton of money involved in Perez contract with RBR for him to still be racing for that team. We have seen Helmut Marko kicking out previous drivers in RBR for much less s***ty show than what Perez is doing.

I will be very surprised seeing Perez, Stroll and Sargeant in their current positions next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would imagine if/when Lance goes, so will Larry. Talks of the Saudi's buying Aston Martin (the car brand), so if Larry isn't selling cars or trying to get his son a world championship, why does he back a team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Red Bull don't really have any proven options to replace Perez. Riccardo still hasn't really proven he still has it. Lawson could get chewed up and spit out of he is put beside Max too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s rumours that they want Norris when he’s out of contract but that’s not for a couple of years, and if that’s the case then I could see them going for a short term option like Ricciardo.

I can’t see Norris going there though unless McLaren takes a huge step back over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

I doubt that there will be a better time to sell a F1 team anytime soon. AT was advertised for a billion dollari, a normal business person will run away from that, the Saudis won't say no. For Stroll, F1 is a marketing vehicle for Aston Martin, his son plays no role in this thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If his son played no role in his thinking, he wouldn't still be there. Stroll's years past the potential stage, this is him in his prime and he's not very good.

RB are probably hoping that Danny regains some of his form, enough to swap him into Perez's seat next year if need be. For sure Lawson wouldn't be ready for it. I'd say they are raging Lando's contract still has another 2 years on it, him and Max in the same team would be awesome to watch. Like other's have said, RB will have a real problem next year if other teams have closed the gap and Perez is still firing blanks.

Re: Stroll and Aston Martin - Lawrence has already solved the Lance problem. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

Stroll has better results than the highly rated hulkenberg has and is still only 24 years old. Somehow this situation feels like Kimi/Alonso. The boy has time to bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

People are saying terrible things about Lance Stroll recently, but let's not forget he delivered strong results back in 2019 with Racing Point (famous "pink mercedes"). That car was awesome and both him and Perez did very well at the time.

He also won multiple championships between 2014-2016, the last one in F3, winning 14 races and destroying now fellow driver George Russel.

To me it proves the talent Stroll has, but definitely the arrival of Alonso has destabilised him.

RB require someone on a very short contract to replace Perez. Ricciardo ticks all the boxes . He knows he will play the wingman and willing to sign a 1 year rolling contact until Norris signs for RB.

Ricciardo will then replace Coulthard as Red Bull's brand ambassador when his contract ends.

He was doing qualifying laps in RB19 by his 7th lap in testing in Silverstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I couldn’t imagine them doing anything before Mexico, if they want to get out alive! After that I’d say anything goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

I think Stroll is a below average driver when comparing to the rest of the grid. Has shown glimpses of potential but has been in the sport for well over 100 races and never really had the consistency to show he’ll turn into more.

Can see why people would try to jusitfy his place on the grid as there’s a few poor drivers but can see why others would like to see someone else given a chance too, especially in a half decent car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement