Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• As I said a couple of years ago, Joe is going to be replaced by AI. The machine is still learning the inputs to get it to perfection. That is why Kaytee had to keep up the Joe-like facade over past couple of weeks, otherwise the Machine would get confused. It needs many and repeated modules of learning and another trainer can’t go too far off script.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The first half an hour is listenable, about a Pakistani doctor who arranged for de daughters wedding clobber to be delivered to Newry from Pakistan instead of Dublin because he thought the UK post would be quicker, it ended up getting lost somewhere with An Post. Not much comedy value in it, the rest of the show is about getting a park named after de Clancy Brudders which seems to be already agreed by the local council so not sure whoy there was 45 minutes on it.

Good Callan’s Kicks take on RTÉ/Tubs etc out now on podcast, I assume later on the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Wonder will Joe have any part to play in the IMROs tonight🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

I am so very sorry, but I have missed so much of Joe. I haven't listed in weeks

HOW IS JOE?

what shows should I listen to catch up

alright

please

Joe is great.

M

Ex Liveline producer Aonghus Mc Anally, 40 years ago (best viewed when not eating coddle)...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJcTwDhR/

I’m in Barcelona airport just after checking in for my flight back to Dubalin. There’s some delightful “ambassadors” for our country here. I really do wonder how these people behave at home, or do they save this behaviour for when they’re “on tour”. Of course immediately after getting through security - where one of them caused a scene and started arguing with the staff to open more lanes - they head straight to the bar…..and this was at 8:30am local time. There’s something about seeing a 50+ year old man in full Celtic/Liverpool/Man Utd/Dublin tracksuit and accompanying Jersey etc with a pair of Air Max* that just screams class, lots of GAA and other soccer jerseys around too of course. 🙄

And I say this as a 50+ year old man with a huge sneaker collection. I don’t however wear “mainstream” sneakers or wear them with a tracksuit or soccer/GAA jersey.

I realize I’m probably coming across as a snob here, but I’m ok with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭Tow

Gone be with de days when ye wore de Sunday Best to go flying.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Celtic/Liverpool/Man Utd/Dublin tracksuit and accompanying Jersey etc with a pair of Air Max*

That not Sunday best?

Whacker tried to take my bag off the baggage belt in Dubalin Airport just now. He was all “ah sorry Bud I tawt it was my bag so I did” when I politely informed him the bag he was trying to take was mine. His bag looked nothing like mine btw. I despair.

This has been on my mind since yesterday, it’s really annoying me. The absolute brazenness of it all, and not a hint of embarrassment when called out for it.

Thinking about it now, he was behind me checking in and I suspect was eyeing the bag from there. I say bag but it’s a smallish suitcase on wheels (though too big to go overhead), and it was very expensive (note: I didn’t buy it, it was a gift - and I promise I’m not humblebragging here).

i wonder how much of an issue theft like this is?

They all have de brass neck. To cut a longer story short, I caught two cultured lads robbing my grandmother's house. A Garda and I were going up de stairs and de first words out one was 'Ah Mr Garda I'am just having a look'. In those days the Gards were more effective, so to speak. De lads were dragged to de ground outside and given a good clatter.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Oh how things have changed. A friend of mine had his house burgled. He showed cctv footage of two lads approaching his house to the guards. Ah that just proves they were at your house. Best claim off your insurance and forget about it

M

Yes I suspect sometimes it's a genuine mistake but the opportunity is certainly there, especially with potential for expensive items and even the cost of the bag itself. Worst experience I have seen is a US airport (internal flights) where the actual carousel was accessable to punters dropping off and collecting people at the main door, there was no security check in-between, you could literally pull up in your car and take 5 cases and drive off unchallenged.

I had a suitcase before that was a 'collect x tokens and pay €30' job (actual bloody good quality bag sez eye 😁) in either Tesco or SuperValu, the problem was when using it a good 10 plus people on every flight seemed to have all purchased the same jaysus case so potential for mistakes were high. Twice I had to take the case out of dimwits hands who I seen taking it off the carousel without a single check on the actual baggage tag to confirm it was theirs.

Hands are tied innit... have to make crispy cremes for our order before end of shift, stick on the oul siren there Pj the lads"ll be starvin

A civil matter no doubt.

Our Gardai have to be the most useless police force in the world.

I have seen that in the US myself.

Ah you're thinking of the SuperValu luggage promotion from at least 24/25 years ago. I remember being at a conference once where someone from SuperValu was giving a presentation and said that promotion was so successful they ran out of luggage and had to order more but they took months to arrive and they had people ringing them everyday (it was late 90s so internet wasn't really an option for many of those who applied I suspect) complaining and angrily asking "where's me luggage?!!!!". It was apparently a "don't mention the war" topic in Head Office in Musgraves as they inadvertently pissed off hundreds of customers. If Joe had been doing Da Lahv Lahn then we might have gotten a show out of it, and he could tell SV to "pony up" for Bernie's new suitcase as she heads to Ma-Jorka as she only buked de holiday when she found out about de SV luggage offer.........

I do recall seeing them everywhere on every flight for years, you'll still see them on occasion but not as frequently as used to be the case. You'd frequently see what fellas selling shoyte outside Croke Park call "headbands" (basically two strings of county colours wool tied together) tied around the handles as means of identifying the bags, used to give me a small giggle.

My incident yesterday was no accident though, that was an attempted opportunistic theft.

I hope the Gardai addressed them with their preferred pronouns or they could be in real trouble with Drew and Helen if not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

The Meaning of Life will have an extended show on tomorrow's Liveline:

Joe tries to find a peaceful resolution to events in the Middle East:

"...Abdul ! Yossi !...whoy are yiz fightin' ?..."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I genuinely think it is time to name and shame the actual Gardaí who say these things, they think little of ruining other people’s reputation and it is up to the DPP and a jury to ascribe guilt, not them

They ought to be sued to be honest

How dare they BS people

They are same ones who will harass law abiding people for vexatious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Always was a bit paranoid about getting out to the luggage row later than everyone else

I would have said contact airport security to give him a scare, but airport security recently aided a stabbing at the same airport by “moving along” a highly dangerous man, so probably waste of time

Out of interest, what was the whacker doing in Barcalona?

Salou perhaps?

I have no idea.........someone said to me this morning that the flights to Aer Lingus flights to Barcelona were cheaper than Ryanair to Reus this summer and proximity to Salou may have been a factor. I've only been to Salou once, passing through it to go to the park in Portaventura and it was shall we say, not my style. I certainly wasn't going to be asking what he was doing in Barcelona! 🤣

On arriving late, yeah if I had been casual about it and gently walked to the passport and baggage areas instead of walking briskly as I tend to do in airports I suspect it would have been gone. As for Security......lol, I'd be pretty confident they'd do fock all as he'd just say "I tawt it was me bag bud" again, even though they looked nothing alike. Whatever the airport security term for "civil matter" (see Garda comments above) would be invoked no doubt.

Dat would be de last seen of said bag. The airport police appear not to be competent in de use of da CCTV. Lads arriving with no paperwork, should be sent back from where they departed in a timely manner. However, our lads could not be bothered to rewind de tapes, so to speak. A far cry from what I have seen abroad, passports getting their first check at the end of tde skyways. Security lads with machine guns there to keep order. At the actual passport control each passport property examined, held up to de light etc.

Nice work 😉

Rank and file morale at an all time low innit 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭golondrinas

My bag wasn’t stolen but rendered useless by the little double wheels on one side burst out of the bottom of the case. On my next flight I watched a lady baggage handler catch a large suitcase by the side with one hand and by the little wheels with other and flinging it as best she could on to the tractor thingy that goes out to the plane. Cow.

• I often wonder how it doesn’t happen quite frequently in airports around the world as it really is a free for all at the carousels. There’s never any validation required for anybody to pick up anybody’s else’s luggage, and having it in place would lead to huge queues and inefficiency. I generally have manky looking luggage that nobody would want to claim in 100 years, and tbh the most valuable commodity (to me) within is invariably stoma supplies as it is so hard to get the right ones in many destinations. The clothes I bring are pretty worthless, never bring Jewellery or electronics in hold luggage.

One time I took the wrong bag off the carousel, it had been almost identical to my own. I was travelling with my elderly mother from Tenerife and was focusing on getting her bag more and making sure she was ok.

Wonder what exactly was in whacker’s baggage? I remember as an 18 year old travelling with my friend to Bornholm on the night ferry from Copenhagen (there’s a book of same title) and she and I noticed we were sharing a cabin with a third person who had left their big clumsy sack of a bag on one of the bunks. I said “wonder who we are sharing with?” Label was a Danish name, as far as we could make out it was a male mane, but not being overly familiar with Scandi names we weren’t too sure, as some women’s names appear quite masculine. My friend said “let’s take a quick peek… looks to me like a man’s bag!” We eased the zip back a little, saw tons of shot wood planks & carpentry equipment. “It’s a fella! Wonder what he’s like! In Scandinavia they seem to put stranger men & women together”. An hour later a slightly inebriated blond lady, aged about 35, came in and said good evening in Danish, then English. Turned out she was bringing some DIY items from a Copenhagen hardware store to the island where she & her husband lived as the local hardware didn’t quite have what they needed for a little project. Besides, she enjoyed shopping weekends in Copenhagen and always liked meeting young backpackers like ourselves. We were stone sober, no way could we afford the prices of local booze on our very tiny salaries.

• Advertisement

• I brought my mother to NYC in a wheelchair, staying in the very quiet business district over a weekend, with a lovely waterside promenade, she loved the experience and thought NYC was “far quieter than Dublin”. Actually I’ve seen NYC clear out over a holiday weekend so it can become almost like a ghost town in parts.

However arrival was less than optimal, wheelchair came with one footrest missing, the poor woman had to cope with a dangling foot the whole time. They couldn’t give a fool at JFK. Going back home my mother vocalised her annoyance at JFK airport, who treated her poorly in security, and she said “you think you’re the greatest nation on earth, don’t you, we’ll let me tell you you are far from it, your system rots!” I was trying to shush her a bit, she said she would not be shushed, but thankfully the staff backed off a little and let her be.

Advertisement