Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

….

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Fool me once…

stop giving those guys chances. You’ll feel better and you’ll give off better vibes to other potentials. Once you start saying no to that chancers you’ll never go back

I literally don’t get it Yellow.

whatever about the first time- it was a first date, silence, message received.

But we rematched, all chat, got me out for another date, my hopes were up; got on really well, similar minded and now I’m at arms length again. What’s that about?

Literally, why would a man do that? It’s ridiculous. No kiss either time btw.

I think this has actually turned me off dating altogether now.

i can’t wait for the day I’ve a positive dating experience to share with you @YellowLead

itll be a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I used to fill out the ‘have kids don’t want more’ option - she’s actually a fully fledged adult of 27. But saying no kids didn’t feel honest either. A ‘grown up children’ option might be a good idea for the apps. Don’t think it would dramatically improve my chances though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I wish they had that option also. I just leave that blank and then bring it into the conversation after matching, but it would be handy if it was covered. I think I mentioned it at some point in the bio, but then it feels likes you are making a big deal of it.

People can change but usually they dont. A guy who acts like that once is a guy who thought that was okay and therefore would do it again. If giving a second chance it should have been with the expectation he would probably do that again. You are far too trusting - so maybe online is not for you right now, you need to come back to it with a different attitude and don’t give people chances when there are red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You certainly have a knack to pick out the travelling ones. Is it because you are attracted to specific career types? Just wondering if there is a pattern or common denominator.

You’d be surprised how many women prefer to believe anything that fits their hopes and expectations, despite having an inkling that they are being hoodwinked. It’s probably true for men, too.

It can be a bit boring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I don’t know if you’re just particularly unlucky in this regard, or if it’s worryingly indicative of a mass exodus from the island of eligible men ?

Yeah maybe but you also think they surely can’t all be the same but they actually do turn out to be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I think another way to look it is that you're giving them the opportunity to do so. I'd say it would help you loads to just stop giving guys like that so many chances. Also have a look at what kind of guys you're talking to. For example, how low or high is the bar for you to reply to a message? If a guy messaged you saying you looked hot, would you reply? If he just sent you a wink emojii, would you reply? If he sent something sexual, would you reply? If yes to any of those, you might as well hold up a sign asking for idiots IMO. If no, I'm not sure what's going on, maybe it's just guys who are really good at playing the game and you're too invested in wanting them to be different to see it (not a slight on you, it can happen to anyone but I feel you do get much better at seeing through it as you get older).

You do need a better radar for the fcck boys. Maybe try posting the messages you get here with some info before you reply (vague details) for a while and we can help you to vet them. There are lots of nice guys on the sites too, for sure, the problem is finding one that you're also attracted to but it can happen and often when you least expect it. I remember when I broke up with my ex I'd see lots of good looking guys online be thinking "man, there's just no attraction for me though" or vice versa. But I knew that someone would turn up to peak my interest eventually and it would just click and feel normal almost right away and that would be it. because in my experience that's what happens with me. So I do think experience has a lot to do with it.

This 100%. Anybody sends a message either opening or before meeting mentioning hot or sexy is clearly only out for one thing and not looking for a relationship (with the person he sends that to at least). @[Deleted User] If people act shady let them jog on, don’t keep going in the hope you’re wrong. It’s not normal to meet only chancers. It’s often a long hard road to meet somebody you like who likes you and you are compatible with - by not accepting the chancers you leave yourself more available for the good ones, but unless you get lucky it won’t happen overnight. Often it’s pretty obvious people are fuckboys from their profiles - I’d love to see an example of a profile of somebody you swipe on.

I wonder am I just attracted to adventurous spirits. I do date a higher portion of non Irish than Irish. Last nights guy who is taking a career break isn’t Irish - he may not come back because he has no roots here. The guy I met on Tuesday that I’m meeting again tonight isn’t Irish either and he is about to buy a place in Europe where he will divide his time - I don’t mind that because he will be here some of the time and I don’t need somebody too clingy etc.

It’s not that - pretty much everyone I’ve dated has had a different career to the others, there isn’t a commonality there.

So you are on bumble and tinder now, might as well go for it and give it a proper chance…even just for amusement.

I never said there was anything wrong with pretty - that’s not sexual to me. I said hot or sexy, which are very different.

I also don’t think it’s a bad sign if you saw somebody from a few years ago - most people go on and off - how do you know she hasn’t had a relationship in the meantime.

You have to just be okay with the unmatching etc - women get so much interest they often chat keep up. Stick with the ones who do chat and you have a rapport with.

Id never send an emoji or just say hey, height of laziness and red flag in my opinion but each to their own.

Yeah except they should be called fcck men because they are older and shouldn’t act like the morons they do.

To answer your question; no I don’t reply to anything sexual or put much weight in compliments. I answer to normal conversations and yes some have started out normal then turned sexual and I end it there when they try it on. It seems to be when I meet them or after a few dates they lose interest.

This man I met before and was ghosted by him before. Our date a few years back was good but nothing happened so I just thought maybe we are seeing if there’s anything there again but I actually didn’t ask “why” ask me out again because I didn’t want to rock the boat.

I have been guilty of giving previous matches who are still single - another chance and each of them have ghosted me.

Some men (including my reappearing ghost who I met last week) have been on the apps a while looking for a “relationship” yet they are still on the apps. How does that work? I had been in two relationships the last few years and the same men who were there when I was single are still there now with same and updated photos claiming to be still be looking for a “relationship” and a lot of the chancers I’ve met have all this in common too.

I’m sorry but if somebody doesn’t know how to talk to women then they are not for me. No respectable intelligent man thinks he will gain the admiration of an intelligent woman by saying they are hot or sexy at first intro. I say this from experience - when I started OD first, I was clueless but I soon learned the score and how to read people. In my mind that’s how really young people or older people who aren’t that bright would chat to each other. Every single time when some guy got sexual with the chat immediately he was only after one thing, without exception. So of course I’m going to learn from that. And I’m entitled to veto people however I want, the only person it affects is me. I’m sure I get ruled out during the dating phase for various reasons but whatever - everybody is entitled to their own preferences.

Not everybody can find a relationship so easily. I’ve been looking for one for a few years now and have not been successful.

Having said that I wouldn’t take somebody saying they are looking for a relationship at face value, I’d wait and see what the chat was like and meeting them.

• Advertisement

‘It seems to be when I meet them or after a few dates they lose interest.’

Are your photos true to life? I’ve chatted to so many guys who say that half the time women show up looking nothing like their photos. Just something to consider.

I would say I look like my photo yes.

It is me. Not filtered. So I don’t get it.

I thought all was going well for you on the dating front?

How long have you been part of this thread 😂 Yes I go on a lot of dates - but in the 3.5 years I’ve been single )was in a long term between 17 and 35) I haven’t had anything lasting - lots of one month two month three month and one 6 month though that was sort of on and off.

"You look pretty" is not the same as "you look hot". So many of the guys are just out for hook ups and starting off with stuff like "you're so hot" etc. is a good indicator they don't want anything serious. This isn't me making **** up, it's 15 years of doing OD on/off talking.

Girls not being arsed to reply to a normal message is likely that they read your message and weren't interested. No-one owes you a reply. Nothing to get bitter about, just move on to the next.

You learn a LOT from texts. I keep telling you this as I have been for a long time on this thread, and have proved my point, yet you continue to claim otherwise. Maybe, the problem is that you personally can't seem to do so. It would probably help you to work on that instead, the communication aspect and learning how to read people and engage in genuine and open conversations that actually make the person want to talk to you. As for swiping for years, no, I've been on and off for years in between relationships which I've had from OD. I'm now in one you were slating from day one because of the distance aspect, and that's going great, much as it may pain you.

You also say nothing about your own current dating experiences, which I've also said before and you've ignored. But you're very quick to dole out the advice to everyone else. Why is that?

Only about 5mins compared to the originals 😂

Yeah but you seem to have had positive experiences overall.

Mine would be dates here and there filled with rejection 👌

Just don’t get why a man of 40 who’s still single would come out of the woodwork, match me again, ask me out, have another great date m, treated me well and started phasing me out again with little to no follow up communication. What’s that about? And it wasn’t sexually motivated - he didn’t try to embrace or kiss me. I leaned in to kiss him on the cheek and I don’t think he was a fan. Yet we have a great date 🤷‍♀️

He just wants the attention and to keep you on the hook.

Do you think that your attitude in terms of blaming women for the lack of success some men have on apps is helping you to find dates?

You don't tell us much about your own dating experiences, but you do have a lot to say about everyone elses.

Well, he did like to talk about himself a lot.

Everything but the subject of dating, relationships, why meet again etc the important stuff if you ask me.

I don’t understand people like that. I think of one word…. “user”

• Advertisement

Yeah, so what you want to do is spot these earlier on before you get the meeting them part.

Advertisement