Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equality of marriage and love

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not difficult to identify instances of popes saying specious things, but this only refutes a claim that popes are always infallible. The same could be said for the BBC. However the claim of invariable infallibility has not (SFAIK) been advanced on behalf of either, so refuting it is not especially interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I could be having a senior moment here but being occasionally infallible to my mind equates to no more than sometimes being right. Perhaps you could illustrate how variable fallibility plays out for this rather simple and entirely fallible poster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have no idea what this thread is about any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fair point.

Smacl, happy to have the discussion you are suggesting, but should we take it to a different thread?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The "Trans Debate" in seventeen seconds:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ghana's parliament has passed a tough new bill that imposes a prison sentence of up to three years for anyone convicted of identifying as LGBTQ+.

It also imposes a maximum five-year jail term for forming or funding LGBTQ+ groups.

MPs said the bill was drafted in response to the opening of Ghana's first LGBTQ+ community centre in the capital, Accra, in January 2021.

Police shut the centre following public protests, and pressure from religious bodies and traditional leaders in the largely Christian nation.

At the time, the Christian Council of Ghana and the Ghana Pentecostal and Charismatic Council said in a joint statement that being LGBTQ+ was "alien to the Ghanaian culture and family value system and, as such, the citizens of this nation cannot accept it".

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just remember this any time you hear the 'hate the sin but not the sinner'[*] claptrap, or 'Pope Francis has said that he loves homosexual people'

St Andrew’s Church on Westland Row in Dublin has cancelled a concert by the Dublin Gay Men’s Chorus on the grounds it believes the recital was to be “a Pride Festival event”, which it said “is not compatible with our mission”.

Mr McNamara said the booking was made “under the name of Dublin Gay Men’s Chorus”, and added the group had “no reason to suspect they were not aware of who was making the booking”.

He said the choir was “deeply disappointed” by the decision, which he described as “deeply hurtful”.

“June is Pride month across the world and the celebration of having pride in one’s self and community should be permitted,” he said. “While we made it clear this event is not associated with the official Dublin Pride festival once St Andrew’s made its concerns known, the church was unwilling to change its position.

[*] Yes I know it's a sick-making phrase but some RCCers think saying "I think you're a sinner but I don't hate you (much)" is a progressive move on their part

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement