Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Getting silage, whole crop wheat, distillers and bread at milking time, in Thursday and Friday, back out again today. Did 4th cut silage Wednesday and doing maize tomorrow.

Well if u back urself into a corner where many fed silage during the drought andvzero grazed first cut and had a poor second u have little choice.All these problems are from over stocked farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

I know the lad is only trolling but it could well be middling silage. But better than nothing all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

In by night the last week or so here, 3kg in the parlour, being supplemented with brewers grain in the shed before milking and getting zero grazed grass from outside silage block after milking.

Have got a slight bump in milk with the brewers and it’s great to put condition on cows for the winter ahead, surprised they haven’t got looser in the dung yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

I think most guys are testing silage before cutting at this stage and know what they have, can be targeted at other groups of cattle if not up to scratch for cows easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

What's the point in building all these covers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah I wouldn’t have any fear of it any way. Be fed before Christmas

• Advertisement

A teagasc trend just like putting cows out in bad weather in spring when they wud better off in a nice warm cubicle shed with early may silage.But pn highly stocked farms first cut is late they need bulk or its been zeo grazed.so u end up like the guy making in october chancing his arm for gd weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Only you've your own baler to soften the blow, us beef men would find it hard at the cost of making a bale to be feeding it so quick.

At milk price now is it still well profitable to be baling instead of grazing with that type of grass?

I cut my first cut on the 14th of may and made 149 bales on my highly stocked milking platform on the 12th of may

I might keep a few extra next year to reduce the surplus bale count

This is at the side of the town and owners don’t want stock on it

no fence and no water on it. It only got 30 units urea plus some K after setting

yes it’s probably expensive but I’ll have really high yielding good quality silage for the next couple years. Just have to look at it that way

i thought about zero grazing it but reckoned it would have cost too much tbh

Fair enough cattle wouldn't have worked 👍🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

From a new reseed it may surprise you. As much about setting up new seed for the year ahead as making silage. Zerograzed and then grazed reseed that went too strong last autumn and should have baled it all tbh, would have been a better job for the sward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It’ll be cheaper than going hand in cap next march looking for silage paying 40/50 euro a bale for silage in a bale which you’ve no idea of quality …fook the begrudges …correct move …..I’ve 30 acres I’ve decided not to bale …cows in at night from Monday …will be zero grazing that at 70 euros per load along with 2 bales of silage every night and grass by day for next month or so

No one is begrudging grass2 haveing to spend money baling it, as he and everyone else would rather graze it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I have a small herd. Im not in derogation.

I dont claim any Bps but i am compliant at 220.

If i was milking 70 or 80 cows or less, god almighty wont make drop any cows or lease any extra land at huge expense.

Farmers need to stop bickering and stand together.

All the changes being made are not given a chance to bed in.

This is death by regulation, its derogation now, its going to be something else next month, value of slurry halved, max numbers on grazing platform, year round slurry storage, cpo land by private companies/ the state

Lies are being told at state level and through the media to destroy our reputation

A line in the sand has to be drawn.

No more.

This shite will push people to the edge.

We lost so many young men to suicide during the death of the celtic tiger due to being unable to provide for their famillies and fear of failure. This will happen again.

Make no mistake, what we are seeing now is eu/state sponsored form of bullying against dairy farming.

We are the only industry bearing the brunt of climate change. It was announced today that 90% of companies in ireland couldnt give a shite about climate change. Their customers dont care. Its not profitable

The department, the ministers, the lying **** of fosil funded emviromemtal experts, the eu and the green agenda are trying to **** us at all costs.

Im sick of being a pariah, a polluter, a calf killer and a general farmer ****.

Im making no more concessions. If its not advantageous for my business it wont be done.

The farming lobby is a disgrace, the anti dairy farmer agenda has successfully created division and destroyed any affective lobbying power.

The public hate us.

A stand has to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

How long have you stopped returning the BPS?

Can you see it as being a viable option for those who can't take the financial hit of reducing or indeed slaughtering stock for 30% of value?

Can you give us any experience re inspections, bord bia approval, pressure from authorities etc?

I'm seriously considering just taking the 20% fine and removal from derogation for 2 years as I can't countenance the immediate financial hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I never claimed bps.

Bord bia no issue.

Never had an inspection. No pressure from authoritys. Im not taking the piss and doing anything to stand out.

Why should you take a financial hit just because some bureaucrate says so. **** them.

There will be people who will say if we stop claiming bps, the department will change the rules to catch you.

There has to come a moment in time were farmers say no more.

Less regulation, not more.

#### them is right.. Fair play..well done..

It’s not that simple unfortunately

as far as I’m aware if you’re stocked over 220 and not exporting slurry you are breaking the law and the co Co could decide to go after these farms if they get more common

also if you want to take on sone land and the owner wants sfp back how do you claim it if you’re not claiming anything yourself ?

it’s nice to see someone not bound by payments but I don’t know if it can be wide spread solution country wide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well SFP on a 40 HA farm would be 10.5+k minimum, ANC if applicable another 3+K so 14 K between the two of them. You would want 50+K in turnover just to break even.

I wound assume that if you do not fill.out an area aid form you cannot access TAMS so this will limit farm development. TAMS is worth up to 40k or 60k depending on your rate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Plus, there are talks of a certain cohort not being allowed to register on the fertiliser database.

Those who "know" and those who "do"...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Advisors and so called experts who rely on us to line there pocket will hardly say any less ….there’s no issue as long as your compliant as regards slurry storage for stock on hand and not polluting any rivers

council or dept won’t have much interest in you as what’s there mean of fining you

on the entitlements ….owner can lease tgem out or sell them

as long as your bird bia approved that’s all coop are worried about

more and more people will go this route out of nesecity and more power to them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The fertlizer register will be the main issue. The minister can limit or take people off the register.

If you have not applied for a derogation and are not on the area aid system they could limit you to minimum or no fertlizer.

Ya you probably will get away for 1-2 seasons. However it depends on how many decide to do it. If it's in the hundreds the department will act. It may mean registration with the EPA or the LA for you to access fertlizer.

Board Bia may link in this way as well. Do not think that if several hundred of the most intensive dairy farms decided to leave the area aid system the department will not react

Slava Ukrainii

Do the sums lad youd be as well off getting entitlements and keeping less cows and staying within the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

10 years here re no bps claimed and not so much as a letter from the department, their is some stipulation re bord bia having to keep one active entitlement, but you can sell the rest that's a secondhand story I heard from a lad, never drew the bps since I started bord bia so they cant do me for it afaik

Advertisement