Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's not much good telling civilians to leave when they've no where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Yes they need to leave a place they're penned into.

"Fish, we are offering you the option to leave this barrel before we shoot you. Any injury such as death which you may sustain if you do not take this option will be your fault."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two Israeli tourists shot dead by an Egyptian policeman a third tourist was also killed in Alexandria,Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

The abduction, if true, of small children from a crèche is particularly troubling. A lot of these tactics are from the Isis playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

Error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Footage from the music festival where Shani lauk was partying along with thousands of others , in the footage the camera pans to the sky where you can see multiple paragliders approaching the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

You know if you keep digging with that shovel deep enough, you might actually get to the parts of the middle east you seem to cherish. I'd rather be grateful for living in a democracy, thanks very much.

Quite an eye opener, finally having it laid bare, what the Hamas fanboys and girls have no difficulty in condoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

The German/Israeli likely dead woman that was paraded naked through Gaza was at a festival for peace.

Her bank card was used afterwards in Gaza.

Interview with her parents

https://archive.ph/WgXp5 (German)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’m not condoning what Hamas did. In fact I condem it.

Only a true ignorant would see no fault in the historic actions of the nation of Israel.

But as I’ve said already… the chosen people can do no wrong in their own eyes.

When you reply next time put it in capitals - I might understand your rhetoric better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Off your chops on disco biscuits and they laid that **** on you! Awful.

Two state solution was the only solution to this whole thing. Both states would have thrived and Palestine would have just been another bordering country that hated Israel.

I presume the red sea ports are why a two state solution never materialised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

There won’t be a two state solution, it’s not even worth discussing as a solution. Unfortunately, in the long term only one side will exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Nonsense. Nearby Palestine are the Syrian Arab Republic and the Arab Republic of Egypt. It is admittedly bordered by a monarchy - the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, but we can't impose our views on governance on other countries. Saorstát Éireann isn't exactly democratic - it was clearly a dictatorship during the COVID years.

There is no such place as "Israel" - only Palestine, and the people of Palestine have the right to use any level of military force to free their country. I salute this spectacular operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Like 9 11 dude. They used thermite on the steel girders, Mossad had all the Jews leave first, you are too Sharp for them Elessar.

As with seemingly everything nowadays, the culture wars destroy everything. So much of the internet discussion and indeed wider offline discussion on this is driven by idiots who refuse to see beyond their own internet "tribe". Everything is either black or white, there is no nuance.

Thus we get people who are openly defending the mass slaughter which was perpetrated by Hamas yesterday, because to say otherwise is to give some succour to the other "tribe". If you say that it's wrong and it's sick and it's grotesque to parade the dead, raped body of a woman on the back of a pick up truck, somehow, you are "selling out".

We then get people calling for the wiping out of Gaza. If you say that's wrong, those people round on you, because somehow then you're apparently giving succour to the murderers yesterday.

If you say that the murders yesterday did not happen in a vacuum, that they are a tragically inevitable outcome of seven decades of systematic Israeli oppression against Palestinians, you're apparently "condoning terrorism".

If you make the point that western media don't care about Israel's systematic oppression, war crimes, demolition of communities and colonial expansion, you're apparently "with the terrorists".

If you make the point that you greatly sympathise with the plight of the Palestinian people but you reject Hamas and you fear what Hamas is, you're classed as being "with the war criminals of Israel".

If you make the point that many people who support the plight of Ukraine are being total hypocrites by supporting Israel, woe betide you.

If you make the point that many people who support the plight of Palestine are being total hypocrites by supporting Putin's Russia, woe betide you.

It is remarkable and almost impressive how stupid public discourse on so many issues has become. Thank you INTERNET and INTERNET TRIBES.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People in the West ignore the religious perspective driving groups like Hamas, Islamic State etc.

The killing the men, taking the women as prisoners to be raped, the specific humiliation of Jews,whatever about the right or wrong of Israel, the fact that they are Jews is every bit as important as any occupation. This is as much a part of the great Islamic revival, turning back to the pure Islam of the First generations as about Statehood.

Hamas know that the retaliation will be immense but they view it as part of God's plan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just saw the video of that poor German girl in the pickup with those big men chanting while some scumbags spit on her. Saw her mother just looking for her body back, wonder will they have the decency to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Not everything is a conspiracy.

This attack massively weakens the far right as they are the ones in charge at the minute and this has happened on their watch. It’s the governments failure to prevent this and half of the messaging from them for years has been “you need us to stop these things happening”.

If I was daft enough to think there was a conspiracy afoot I’d assume it was actually coming from the left in this case.

As an aside I find the Russia thread a good way of keeping up to date with events but unsurprisingly this thread is a mess of people screaming either ‘anti-Semite’ or ‘glory to Palestine’ at each other.

I’m always fascinated at the massive support Palestine gets from Irish people considering morally they are polar opposites to us and if they were in the Israelis shoes they would make it a goal to cause as much misery and suffering for us westerners as possible. You may dislike it but Isreal shares our values to the extent that they are the same as us bar which deity they happen to pray to. The primary difference is the Israeli society has been extremely hardened by generations of siege mentality considering every single neighbour has explicitly stated the goal of completely annihilating them and have actively pursued this goal for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Excellent post. Facebook, Twitter/X, Instagram et Al have a lot to answer for in destroying reasonable balanced debate.

A lot of people went down the rabbit holes during COVID and they will never return to rationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

the sad reality is the vast majority of people outside the immediate area do not really care what happens there. of course people will tune into SkyNews or whatever for their daily/weekly dose of "isn't it awful/what's the world coming to" News bulletin, but then they will quickly move onto the Match, the Budget or whatever.

most people will view this as a religious/land dispute. i remember being abroad during the Troubles, and in my naive youth being slightly offended that nobody gave a fiddlers about Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, the Shankill Road or any of that. and in all honesty you cant blame them.

Gr8 win for Ireland last night btw!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Do inoccent palestinians have a right to defend themselves. If so by your logic they can just attack isreal. If Israel can target people who attacking it great. But their method is just to kill more palestinians whether innocent or not so i there is no difference between Hamas and Israel. Two terrorist.

Irish people empathise with the Palestinian people in a general sense for very understandable reasons - the fact they were ethnically cleansed off the land they lived on by an invader. Because they are penned into small parcels of that land, are under siege, regularly have their homes demolished, see family members slaughtered by IDF bullets, because Gaza has regularly come under the fire of Israeli fighter jets with massive loss of civilian life. Because what Israel has imposed on Palestinians is barbaric.

That the Jewish people suffered the greatest historical outrage humanity has ever seen doesn't change the fact that what Israel has done over the last seven decades has been barbaric.

To acknowledge this does not mean you support Islamism. It doesn't mean you support Hamas, no more than sympathising greatly with the plight of Catholics in Northern Ireland meant people supported the Provos. It doesn't mean you support slitting the throats of civilians. It doesn't mean you support parading dead, raped bodies of women on pick up trucks.

I don't share the values of either the Israeli government or Hamas. Both are repulsive. Political Islamism, of which hatred of Jews is a central part, thrives throughout the Arab world now because of hardship, because of oppression, because of naked propaganda. Israeli society has become radicalised into fanatical hatred of Palestinians because of suicide bombings, also because of historical echoes, also because of naked propaganda, in a state which has never had a real desire for a fair and just peace.

When did i say that???? All the murder and terrorism done by both isreal and Hmas is unhuman. You seem to be only calling out one sides in unhuman behaviour.

No i dont hate the jewish religion or its believers. I hate isreal the state as it is apartheid treating some within its territory as sub human.

Nice way of arguing. Trying shuting down criticism of a terroist country by labeling it as an ism to critcise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hard to know what Hamas is up to with this action. The Palestinian people may have been brutally occupied and have had large swathes of their land stolen over decades (and it continues to be taken), but how this is going to help them is beyond me. Maybe Hamas is trying to force a final confrontation to make the international community sit up and take notice of the Palestinian plight in the same way that it's responded with Russian activities in the Ukraine. But I can't imagine that the scenes we saw yesterday will help their cause to bend in such a direction.

Not sure. I dont think russians see Ukrainians as below them or sub human like the wsy isreal see palestinians. I think the Russian state sees the Ukrainian state as subordinate as smaller and and should play to its tune. But the nstion of people themselves dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Seeing as Israel is allowed take their land and the international community largely turns a blind eye, I suppose Hamas and their supporters think there aren't many options open to them.

Not that I'm for a second condoning the rape and murder of innocent people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Except you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe Hamas want Israeli soldiers to enter the Gaza Strip, where their technology will be less effective and the true battle can take place. Israel could lose a lot of soldiers, especially if Hamas have planned and equipped for such a battle for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

is that in reply to my post? If so, explain how I condoned murder or rape.

Advertisement