Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

People are ignoring the fact that before Italia 90 there was Euro 88. That was the first time that Ireland had ever qualified for an international soccer tournament and it was brilliant craic. The amount of goodwill towards Jack and the team after that was huge, and when he managed to steer the team to the World Cup it went into overdrive. Even more so as the team then progressed further than anyone ever dreamed it could. The current rugby team are elite players, nobody could accuse Chris Morris, Andy Townsend or Kevin Sheedy, decent as they were, of being anywhere close to the same relative level. So to get to the quarter finals of the World Cup with a squad like that deserves far more adulation than doing well, or even winning the tournament, with the number one ranked team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't know how true that is either.

Irelands rugby team is no1 in the world, and has consistently performed well for 15+ years. That's not an accident or chance.

I get there is a large gap between the top 10 and the rest, but the same is true for soccer too. I'd say 8 of the top 20 international soccer teams have never gotten a sniff at a world cup, and Rep of Ireland isn't in the top 50.

Also, the same teams that are top 10 in soccer like Argentina, France, Italy and England are top 10 in rugby too, so all things being equal, Ireland shouldn't feature.

Soccer would be far more popular than rugby by a long way, but it's not reflected in the performance of our international teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭quokula

Soccer and rugby are very different. Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales are all ranked in the top 7 in the world in rugby. And those other three teams are considered to be on relatively bad form in recent times. But given that the sport is barely played to any real degree outside of these isles and some other countries you can count on one hand, it's barely imaginable for Ireland to drop out of the top 8.

Whereas in soccer, there are dozens upon dozens of competitive teams. Sure, there are 10ish "superpowers" that almost always win, but that's because the bar is so high at the top, not because other countries don't play. Also it's a major stretch to say the top teams in soccer and rugby are the same. As I mentioned, Wales and Scotland are near the top in rugby and nowhere in soccer. And where are Germany, Brazil, Spain, Holland etc in rugby?

Even getting into the top 50 in the world in soccer is a good achievement for a country the size of Ireland, never mind getting to a world cup quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It happens every RWC or when Ireland are winning a Grand Slam.

People trying to compare rugby with soccer, and even worse rugby success with soccer success.

There is no comparison.

The top 12 teams at a RWC automatically qualify for the next RWC.

In soccer the top 1 team at a world cup doesn't even qualify for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jack Charlton was a huge part of the cultural zeitgeist of Ireland at the time.

Andy Farrell hasn't even emulated Joe Schmidt yet.

And if they lose on Saturday then he will just be yet another Ireland rugby manager who won a 6 nations but couldn't cut it at the big boys table.

If he does win the world cup, he still won't emulate Charlton because the world isn't like that anymore, a week later the event junkies will have moved on to the next bandwagon and Farrell will be yesterdays news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Considering many in Ireland don't know his name. Then I would say no. I love the rugby team though.

That's very true

It was a different era.

If Charlton came along in this day and age and got a team that had never qualified for anything to a Euros and world cup I don't think he would even get the adulation he got back then.

No chance a rugby coach or team gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would say that half the country don’t know who Andy is while Jack will be written about in the history books of this country for centuries to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Were all part of Andy’s army!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If Ireland win the Rugby World Cup he's guaranteed to get a yearly slot on The Late Late show.

So it's not all good news.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ok let's try and see, I don't know the answer so I'm not trying to argue one way or the other.

I'll use the current RWC and Italia '90 as the sample.

Irish born* players in the Italia '90 squad.

Bonner

Stan

Moran

Whelan

O'Leary

Quinn

McGrath* was born in England but grew up in Ireland so I'll include him as well

Seven out of 22, 31%

Rugby 2023

Irish born* players

I'm not even going to bother counting because it's more than 31% just glancing at it.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd consider myself an "average" person. I was a primary school child during Euro 88 and Italia 90. Until "We are the Boys in Green" I didn't even know of the existence of an Irish soccer team. I had never heard of Jack Charlton. By Italia 90 I knew who Jack Charlton was and could name the entire Irish soccer team.

Reading the thread title here I thought Andy Farrell was the current Ireland (soccer) manager. I then googled the current manager and recognise his name, but could tell you nothing about him. I'm not sure I could name many/any of the current Irish soccer team.

The Jack Charlton era was a different time and a different world. The whole country knew who Jack Charlton was. The whole country jumped on that particular bandwagon and got caught up in it all. As I said I consider myself to be an "average" citizen. I'd say the "average" citizen doesn't know who Andy Farrell is, and couldn't name many of the Irish rugby players.

So I'm going to say "No" to the question posed in the thread title.

Let's see. Jgp, Lowe, hansen, aki are the players I can think of at present that are playing through the residency rule the rugby world cup.(squad of 33).

Edit: Plus McGrath was 10000% Irish. His place of birth doesn't matter.

Would you consider heaslip or o'gara non Irish?

How many players at this world cup play outside of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Pointless discussion right now.

Jack took the Irish team to places it had never even been close to before.

Andy has taken the Irish team to where they have almost always gotten to. They are in the last 8 out of 9 teams, the absolute bare minimum expected of an Irish rugby team.

Maybe in a few weeks, it might be a bit of a discussion, but if Ireland lose next weekend, then Andy is going to be very quickly forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

I like rugby and love watching this Ireland team (yes, a bandwagonner, everyone loves following a winning team), but I completely empathise with every point in the post above.

I just ignore all the shite I dislike, which includes TV analysis - cant be watching the likes of Shane Horgan or Jamie Heaslip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

On reading the title, I immediately wondered had Kenny been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Where are you getting 9 teams?? 5 of the six nations and NZ, SA and Oz? Edit Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We're 35 years on from the Charlton era, the Country is basically a different Universe than the Italia 90 I remember as a 14 year old.

1990 was the emergence of the Country from the economic doldrums, unemployment, emigration, greyness. The football team became a totem, a beacon of hope.

Thats just not needed now and rugby isn't as universal as soccer was and is.

And so if Ireland won the rugby world cup, it would be a massive achievement by the players and coaches and the model that the IRFU have developed and got behind, but would it be life changing for the citizenry of Ireland? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If they win, the Irish public might actually know who he is (never knew before this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

74%of the starting team for the Italia 90 QF were born in Ireland, 91% had an Irish parent or grandparent. 72% of the Ireland rugby first team who played against SA were born in Ireland. And only 85% can claim an Irish parent or grandparent .

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jack brought the Country to it's first competitive football international tournaments ever in Euro 88 and Itlay 90 after years of recessions and immigration nothing will ever top the joy and happiness he and those player brought the Country as a whole during those years.

It was the beginning of Irish people feeling they could do anything they wanted and it lead to the prosperity of the 90s and 00's until a generation took it too far during the Celtic Tiger years.

Andy is doing a great job and if he wins the Rugby World Cup he can be considered a legand in Irish sport however he and the players will never reach the levels Jack and the Irish soccer team reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No I don't think so in relation to the OP. Rugby is a great game but it's not easy for kids to play - a lot of rules whereas with soccer kids can get together and play any day of the week in small numbers. So it's never going to get the type of following from a young age that soccer attracts. There is a class divide in the country with the sport as well that doesn't help.

So yes Farrell will get deserved respect but it won't be like Charlton even though in reality we would have achieved the country's biggest ever sporting success if we won the rugby world cup.

That isn't what they said in later posts. Born in Ireland.

What are you on about?

So Jack Charlton is the reason for the celtic tiger and the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Big difference between born in Ireland and born on Ireland. My point still stands the criticism the jack Charlton team got for having foreign born players doesn't get levelled at this rugby team many if whom have no connection to Ireland bar a visa and paycheck.

It doesn't really. Born in Ireland? Loads of kids "born" in Ireland who don't have Irish nationality.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

As a football (soccer) person I'd say Farrell deserves the same praise as Charlton if he wins the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No, simply because Rugby Union is still an elite sport of the middle classes while Football is class encompassing and, therefore, vastly more popular in this country. If Ireland were to win the World Cup I could never envisage such a massive outpouring of joy and support on the streets comparable as that seen when Jack and the lads returned home after Euro '88.

Advertisement