Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Interesting fact is that Israel actually created Hamas in the 1st place as a counterbalance to the secular Palestinian groups. Strangely very similar to the US being involved in the creation of the Mujahedeen.

Personally I'm generally pro Jewish and believe in the right of Israel to exist but this conflict suits division, mistrust and more importantly money for the military industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That is something else I had to sit down after reading it. I hope sense will prevail and they will be returned safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

They absolutely did and anybody with any shred of human decency and empathy in them is totally repulsed by such crimes. There's no defending any of it. Not remotely.

But it is relevant to point out that all this didn't happen in a vacuum, and that the death toll in this conflict is heavily skewed towards Palestinian death.

The crimes of the Provisional IRA were repulsive, but again, they didn't happen in a vacuum.

9/11 didn't happen in a vacuum either. It was grotesque evil, but it didn't happen in a vacuum.

Sadly, when you treat a people like **** for a very long period, the inevitability is some of them will start behaving like **** towards you. Some of them will become radicalised and start believing extreme ****. Because they're brutalised and they become nihilists. It doesn't make these crimes right, far from it, but it is necessary context.

Israel is a brutal regime towards those who are inconvenient to them. The existence of Israel itself didn't happen in a vacuum, but the great historical outrage that was perpetrated on the Jewish people does not make Israel's behaviour acceptable. Benjamin Netanyahu is a very bad man and is one of the last people you'd want in charge in this situation.

Nobody wants to do context or nuance with this topic.

And it isn't just Muslims that do these sorts of crimes. Palestinians themselves were the victims of Lebanese Christian militias at Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in Beirut in 1982. The IDF, who were in Lebanon as "peacekeepers", allowed the Lebanese Christian militias in to butcher them. Thousands of innocent Palestinians were slaughtered. Serbs butchered Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica and elsewhere. It wasn't Muslims that perpetrated the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Same, I remember the videos of Hamas throwing Fatah members off the roofs of buildings. They deserve to be obliterated, and will no doubt facilitate as many innocents being killed as they can find to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

How can anyone support Hamas after such depravity?

Israel has been given a blank cheque to sort them.

Unfortunately, as is always the case, innocents on both side will suffer alongside the guilty. War is hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Israel invaded before in 2009 and invaded Lebanon a few years after but both hamas and hezbollah still exist. There is no easy way to get rid of an army with soldiers that don't wear uniforms.

Things would be better if hamas were destroyed but Israel despite its intelligence services and military so look like they can achieve that, basing off history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It appears to be a fake.

comments point out that it is an older video and some even show it being 4days old on TikTok - the original video (the one trending now on twitter) also has the time stamp cut off.

Not saying this as a gotcha - just hoping that I am correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Reports are saying Americans are amongst the dead at the music festival.

If true one would imagine the CIA and others are looking very closely at those videos to find out who these guys are and act accordingly when they identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Israel striking Hezbollah targets as well now.

I’ll agree with you, Israel are no saints either and how they allowed Christian militias in to butcher Palestinians in Lebanon was an utter disgrace. But you have to pause and think as well that Israel sees things through the lens of what happened in the Holocaust. What happened yesterday must be the stuff of nightmares for them. As regards the PIRA, its gonna be the same for the Palestinians, they have to renounce violence, throw away the guns and sit down and talk to the Israelis. Chances of this happening: probably remote unfortunately.

• Advertisement

People complain about Israel being "US backed".

Let's be crystal clear about one thing, if Israel didn't have that backing, another Holocaust would be perpetrated against the Jewish people.

Hamas and its sponsors have exactly the same genocidal mindset as 1930s European fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I hope you are not trying to justify the depravity.

The Israelis will have to offer the Palestinians something too. As what happened in Northern Ireland. But the Palestinians haven't seemed to have any strong leaders for years.

I'm not. Baseless accusations help no one and derail any honest conversations. I'm just saying I doubt Israeli action now will destroy hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The US didn't create the mujahedeen , they did support some factions after several years or war , but they did not create them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The festival seems to have been much more multi-national than originally thought. It'll be more than just Israel that will be looking for retribution now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you salute what you describe as "this spectacular operation" you need serious professional help.

Post edited by ejmaztec on

Has elon said anything stupid yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Israel sees things a particular way because of the history of the Jewish people, but it doesn't change the fact that Israel was created by a war which ethnically cleansed the Palestinian people off the land which now makes up Israel, and the fact that the remaining Palestinian population in Gaza and the West Bank are systematically oppressed by Israel.

The Palestinians also face an unsolvable problem which the blacks in South Africa faced for a long time but were eventually able to overcome and break down - that of western support for its oppressor.

But western support for Israel is much, much, much firmer than support for the apartheid regime in South Africa ever was, and the demographics are much more in Israel's favour than they were in favour of the apartheid regime, and the apartheid regime in South Africa had no great historical outrage to constantly reference to shore up international support.

It does not matter what Palestine does, it could become a nation of Mary Poppinses for 100 years, but it would still never enjoy any genuinely influential international backing. Justice for Palestine simply does not matter as far as western governments are concerned. Palestinians know this. This is why Hamas has become the pre-eminent power in Gaza. Utter desperation.

The situation is totally hopeless, and utterly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Music festival was a slaughter it seems

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Talk on twitter of a death toll of over 1000 Israelis and ground operationn starting in Gaza in 2 hours...

This conflict has been ongoing since day dot but I imagine what is about to unfold is unprecedented?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe he posted support for Israel yesterday, could be wrong though he's also recommended two pro Russian war poster masquerading as onsit accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Any idea on the numbers who attended festival in total?

Looks like they were in the thick of it when it kicked off..

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Looking at clips of Hamas murders today and all I can see is a massive step backwards for Palestine. I'm pro-Palestine, completely anti-settlement from Israel. A military response against military would have been fine but there's too much fanatic murder in the mix here.. no time for that.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree completely. At first this seemed like an attack on Israel state and army forces with some inevitable civilian casualties.

Now it's looking more like the kind of stuff Isis was doing in France in 2015-6, just sheer sadistic slaughter.

I think it will set the Palestinian cause back a lot (not that it was making any progress...which is partly why this happened. But no justification whatsoever)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Politicians react because they have to

A lot of security is overrated too .

There's always a way to perpetrate the unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

You mean deliberately?

Go check out the Russia thread, plenty of documented cases of forced child deportations.

These crimes are horrendous but not unique

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

I don’t know what’s coming but I suspect anything big after a couple of days will have the international community trying to step in to stop Israel. They probably know they just have a short window with no rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Why error of their ways? Hamas is not Palestine.

Advertisement