Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think Donie and the family would be an addition to any talk show.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

i have it on very good authority that PK is not as highly visible on the RTE campus - during the week he is nowhere to be seen.

Ryan was on campus every day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can you think of some reasons why that might be that have nothing to do with the Late Late Show?

Perhaps you can ask your 'very good authority'. They should be able to fill you in.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Presumably, Ryan was on campus to do his radio programme? I'd suspect he wouldn't be near the place unless he had to be. He'd be browsing a bookshop or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's not. It was widely publicised in advance of the new season that he would remain living in London and "commute" for the Friday show, returning to London on Saturday morning. It wasn't and isn't a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whoooosh

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I only popped on to see what the crack was and instead I find there's a slagging match going on. Better entertainment on here than the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Those ‘issues’ reported in the Indo would be fairly run of the mill stuff in any production team. Beware the Indo blowing stuff out of proportion and gilding the lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭archfi

Yeah sounds like Tyler is micromanaging and overruling senior producer(s) on everything from set to *guests to even questions asked and in what setting (panel thing or one-on-one)

*I'm not a fan of the Donie CNN guy and definitely no interest in his family but after booking him and spending 4 figures on a return flight + probably hotels (RTE had 'no comment' surprise surprise) I don't get the 2 Johnnies replacement which the source says was Tyler's decision.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

i went back to my source and he confirmed that PK goes to Belfast on Saturday morning.

which source mentioned London to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

@Sorolla Back in May, it was reported he would be flying back to the UK. But RTE wanted to restrict amount of air travel, so it was agreed to do his radio show from Belfast: - https://evoke.ie/2023/07/01/entertainment/patrick-kielty-commute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

I much prefer Patrick to Tubs, but when I watch now I still hear Tubridyisms, so it’s obvious the same people are writing the auto cue prompts. I hope Patrick becomes more spontaneous and veers away from the auto cue. He’s well able with his background in stand up, and it’d make the show more his than the current format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah- while I didn’t read the Sindo looks like The Sun are taking a similar view- if Kielty doesn’t have a say in how the show is produced (Gay Byrne was producer if I remember correctly giving him massive control) - then it will be down to “trust”, which basically means the show is fcked if it continues under the control of Tyler who is treating the show like any other light entertainment programme - bad move Tyler .

https://www.thesun.ie/tv/11444774/rte-late-late-patrick-kielty-chaos-frampton-boss-quits/amp/

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Pedant alert - Belfast is in the UK.

The spelling in the Evoke article is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The Indo for some reason are running a campaign against Keilty.

Articles mentioning lost viewers while not mentioning that even the reduced viewers are far ahead of tubs numbers.

I wouldn’t call a Senior producer responsible for the relaunch of the LLS quitting a “run of the mill” event- and regardless of what’s going on behind the scenes, the shows presenter and producer need to act as one entity- otherwise the show itself suffers- while I’m giving it time to find its own feet rookie mistakes have been made and it’s impacting the shows credibility and viewership - it’s great to have a panel of guests but interview each individually first like LLS of old or Parky or Wogan - and also ask the tough questions that need to be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Don’t buy the rag but noticed that on twitter, constant negative articles from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The indo and in particular that clown fionnan sheehan has been leading the one man choir to gets tubs back in rte.

the media just don’t get that the general viewership for the late late is old ,greying and slipping off this mortal coil

Well Kielty lives in London with his wife Cat Deely.

As I said it's been widely reported that he goes back to London on Saturdays. He hasn't lived in Belfast for years, so not sure who your source is, but I'm assuming they're speculating at best.

You can google it. I can't post a link as boards is acting up but this is a screenshot of the first result:

• Advertisement

Kielty was also in the airport when I arrived back there yesterday. As there's no Dublin - Belfast flight I think it's safe to assume he wasn't flying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was actually confirmed on the other site that the doxxing didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

When PK was announced as presenter he publicly stated he would be commuting from London and that he declined RTE's offer to cover his expenses.

No need for a source when it came from the horse's mouth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MOD: @ButtersSuki @CGI_Livia_Soprano put each other on Ignore, or take the argument to DM, I don't care. Either way your back & forth is not wanted or enjoyed by anyone else. Next spat I see from either of you gets a bunch of cards 'cos at this stage I wouldn't know where to start.

A formal reminder: this is the Late Late thread, stick to the show. While the discussion will naturally start to coalesce around the guests' stories, remember this remains the TV forum and getting into the weeds of the subject - such that it creates open hostility - won't be tolerated.

An informal reminder: FFS lighten up people; this is the second mod warning for yet another back & forth between users.

my sources tell me he takes the motorway to Belfast after the LLS - and after his BBC radio show on Saturday morning he then flies to London

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Probably because the media is a small world, they don't like kielty because he is an outsider and doesn't genuflect to their agendas. Probably a lot of people in rte have had their feathers ruffled as kielty is taking the show in a different direction, lighter and more human focus than on heavy political stuff. Donal Sullivan was only really a bit relevant during the trump presidency, obviously he must be considered a sacred cow in rte land. Therefore it looks like people in rte are feeding gossip and tittle tattle to the independent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

Can't believe that they were paying for him to fly from the US to talk about reporting on politics. Who is actually meant to be interested in watching this guy? People are fed up with having this political agenda shoved down their throats. It's always one sided and we're meant to think that O'Sullivan is some type of hero. I'm glad that Kielty is standing up to this nonsense.

That really doesn't make much sense as it's a very circuitous journey to make.

Plus, I was in Dublin Airport on Saturday between 1-2pm and saw Kielty there. He's not gotten up at the crack of dawn to drive or be driven to Belfast to do his BBC show 9-11 and then taken the same route in reverse to be back in Dublin to take a flight to London, with Belfast having so many flights to London directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So here is my take.

RTÉ are redeveloping TLLS. Older RTÉ staff don't like change.

Older RTÉ staff think Donnie (a minor CNN report) needs another outing on TLLS (they book flights for him, got a hotel for his family, and got a hotel for him also no doubt), and we wonder why TLLS can afford bigger celebrities ?

The report in the indo yesterday was just RTÉ staff complaining that things are changing, and they don't seem to realize the sh1t they have put the company in.

Staff in RTÉ IMO are just as much a problem as the head honchos in RTÉ.

Where is Emma Kelly? Holding out for the JC results?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I don’t know the ins and outs of the situation but it would be very concerning if the producers of TLLS were still approaching the show via “painting by numbers” - it needs a radical overhaul- they’re “trying out” things which I’m happy to see but they need to dump and move on if these things aren’t working - the panel of 3 at the start is silly - they need one guest to open and have a good conversation- if they then want to bring a panel then fine but currently it’s just too “light” - some guests are saying a lot, others very little - I assume all want max air time so it’s much better to start with a strong opening - then a panel and see where that goes- they’ve a lot more work to do to rescue this sinking ship

Advertisement