Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just saw the two Kovacic tackles.... Fvxk me, what a joke!

When do we get to hear the audio from these ones - both were worse tackles than the Jones one last week, but result in one a free (no card) and a yellow (not upgraded to red by VAR.).

There comes a stage when simple incompetence does not explain this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Yea but what about that time when an opposition player tackled the Liverpool player and didn't get sent off. That's happened far too often this season. Then there is all those throw ins that Liverpool don't get awarded, and don't even get me started on the goal kicks. It's all a conspiracy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Liverpool penalty was as blatant a penalty as you are likely to see.

Either the Red card pull back or Diaz getting taken out - take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ah here, that's was a clear as peno are you're likely to see, there was actually 2 blatant fouls commited within a second of each other, the pull back and then the tackle on Diaz directly after, the refs surely couldn't miss both, I meant I know they're incompetent most of the time but come on. If that's Liverpool getting the rub of the green on last week's decision then they may give up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did they though? It was a game of f*chalk chances (even the Arsenal goal is heavily influenced by a fortunate deflection) for either team and in the end it’s naturally the victor who takes the plaudits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The audio was so embarrassing from last weekend, I doubt it's going to be something we're going to hear on every decision for a long while yet. That first half referring display was a shocker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Thank you. I think this sums up how difficult Liverpool have it when being awarded a clear and obvious penalty is considered "getting the rub of the green."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

How else can you play against City though? Trying to open up the game against them ends in tears more often than not, so it makes sense to slow the game down. So I'd say definitely tactical and I thought tonight Arteta got it correctly, great game management. Keeping City at 4 shots all game (and 2 of them in the first 20 shaky minutes) is phenomenal job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

VAR & on field refs have refused a very similar situation this season for a penalty - today they did not.

• Advertisement

As I said " Liverpool also were awarded a penalty that was refused in similar situations previous weeks."

I would love to hear the conversation from the VAR to not step in for the gabriel Højlund non-penalty and then to step in today. I'd love to hear how you work through both of those situations and don't come to the same conclusion.

I think both are penalties - but as that hasn't been given in very recent weeks the precedent is there. So yeah, bit of a rub of the green (or total incompetence).

Staggering how he wasn't sent off the 2nd time already being on a yellow - like I just can't understand what rules they think they are implementing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fair play Arsenal. They needed that. But City aren't going to be overly concerned.

Both teams were poor. Arsenal just got the deflection. That's literally it.

Desperately bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Kovacic's first tackle was a bad one. Very similar to the one Saka stuck on Bruno during the Utd game. Both yellows at the time but could/should have been a red.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Like, I’m not completely disagreeing with you. I’m just saying that the way we discuss it is probably shaped in a big way by a fairly fortunate goal. Wolves probably caused City more problems the week before really, considering Arsenal genuinely didn’t create even a medium sized chance in the game and Ake and Gvardiol both missed fairly big chances from corners.

Ultimately Arsenal fans won’t give a sh*t considering how big those 3 points are. But I think saying that Arteta got the better of Pep is more score driven than game driven analysis.

Any analysis claiming Arteta got the better of Pep is insane.

Unless the plan was to be crap, and hope City's level would also be low. If that was the plan, he nailed it.

• Advertisement

Haha, I don’t think either team was crap, i think they ultimately just cancelled each other out until eventually Arsenal found their moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That should have been a pen but its not the same as today at the same time. Today Szoboszlai was pulled down from behind with the keeper out of position and play the ball into an empty net, it was a clear penalty and should have been a red card but the ref bottled that

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Anyone saying Arsenal were crap in that game is basically talking horseshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Didn't watch it live so only seeing Kovacic's tackles now. The first one was bad I'm not sure it was a red. I don't think it was like Curtis Jones tackle last week. The real crime is how he escaped a clear second yellow afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

kovacic was late, caught the player, and it’s debatable whether he was even going for the ball. Jones got the ball and was unlucky to roll over it and catch the player. One is red, and the other plays for Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I may be wrong here but from what I remember Kovacic caught Odegaard on the back of the calf/ankle while he slid in and his foot was almost pointing upwards at the point of contact. Jones slid over the ball and made contact on the bone downwards. Big difference in the damage that can do.

For what it's worth I watched Jones' tackle at the time and thought that's a harsh red as it was clearly accidental but I can see why it was given. I wouldn't even be bringing it up now but I read this entire thread before seeing the highlights and I feel like there's more Liverpool fans annoyed with the Kovacic decision today than Arsenal fans.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jones got the top of the ball. He was t unlucky. He was out of control. If he gets the ball he gets it fully. It was not malicious or even intentional, but it was a dangerous tackle because his technique was shite

Kovacics was just dirt though . It was malicious but he was fully in control and knew what he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Two best team in the league cancelling each other out, but we couldn't expect you to see that now could we.

City and arsenal are two teams playing a six pointer, both didn't want to lose, it was the same when Liverpool were there main rival, absolutely shite games to watch for the neutral, as both sides were happy to take a point and move on, that's not saying they don't want to win, more of it happens it happnes.

The swings on points in a game like this is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some cracking games between City and Liverpool in 2017 and 18 IIRC. Then Pep battened down the hatches for the Liverpool games, played it very safe from then on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was it not more after the CL quarter final where Pool absolutely destroyed them that he shut up shop?

Oh relax, they're still the two best teams in the league, regardless of yesterday. No Rodri, KDB, Saka or a full game of Martinelli probably explains it.

Them being the two best teams doesn't automatically mean a game between them produces great performances.

Of course we couldn't expect you to see that, now could we?

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The 3-1 last season was a far better game and I think Arsenal were the better team that day too but couldn’t get the result. Result is all that matters really and they were definitely due one

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭redhill

Anyone an idea when December 23 Tv matches are announced??

thanks in advance

• Advertisement

They’ve stopped giving predicted dates for when they confirm them. Instead they’ve committed to giving them 6 weeks in advance so with the fixtures not even confirmed yet for weekend November 25th yet, that would mean they have to be out by this weekend (assuming they follow through on their commitment that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

here's the huge issue with VAR, the obvious aside:

on kovacic gallagher says: I think he could have gone on another day.

on bruno g: He's extremely lucky. If he gets a second yellow there, none of us are going to argue. The referee let the game flow and played his part in making this a really good game to watch

on lemina red: Consistency is great as long as you're right, but you can't be consistently wrong."

gone on another day, wants to let the game flow? F that. why cant the refs just be consistent across all games and enforce their own rules, like he mentions in point 3

and those pundits and presenter on sky never call him out. god, those ref's piss me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Eden Hazard has retired from the game aged just 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

His last game for Chelsea was the 2019 Europa League final where he single-handedly won the game. It was one of the best individual performances I've seen ever seen. He was at his peak and was unstoppable that season.

It's been sad to see his decline at Madrid. I just don't understand how it didn't work out at all.

Gutso red card was very similar to Liverpool one last week, ref shown the worst angle of it as he gets to the monitor, he got some of the ball, and he absolutely buckles the other players ankle also. Also deffo a red card.

It’s one of those things that they say happens to some players who start playing top level professional football so young, that their body slows down on them earlier than others.

Obviously there are plenty of other players who this didn’t happen to, so I guess it depends on varying degrees on the position, and the individual body type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This is the truth about the Arsenal Man City game (xG)

Could have ended 0-0. In the end a massive 3 points for Arsenal, mainly in the psychological sense that they now think they can beat Man City, and that they have ended the rot of being 6 points down on these ties for the last 6 seasons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If they are level on points and goal difference at the end of the season does it go to xG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

He was a tub of lard when he came back from the summer break at Madrid which would suggest he had a diet issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't think Hazard believed in going to the gym a whole lot either. All the nature talent in the world, and just wanted to play for fun really. Once the injuries hit at 30, his body wasn't prepared for them.

According to former Lille captain Rio Mavuba,

“We were certain to finish third and we were facing Nancy the following day, It was Eden Hazard’s last match with Lille and he wanted to organise a little something. We decided to go have a little drink. A little drink that dragged on somewhat. The following morning, Eden was still drunk. That evening against Nancy, not even with 30 minutes played, Eden had already bagged a hat-trick.”

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He also downed tools for Chelsea on one of contes seasons and said as much. Exceptionally talented but also wasted quite a lot of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In a way he was probably just a bit too normal and well balanced for a top level footballer. He was always quite clear that football was just one aspect of his life - that football was primarily a game (rather than a job) for him that he loved playing, but had loads of other interests as well. For longevity I think you really need to have that almost psychopathic level of commitment and drive, tailoring every aspect of your life towards their health and fitness.

He's a guy whose immense natural talent made up for a lot, but I'd say that really has diminishing returns as you age. And even at his peak, there weren't too many seasons where he was flying for all of it. Usually started seasons strong, slacked off a bit, and then finished strong.

I'd say he's a fella who's well happy with what he achieved, and will go on to continue having a great life without too many regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Lauras Law

Does anyone know where online I could order "cheaper" replica football jerseys for kids? In case this is information that can't be posted publicly, if anyone can help feel free to drop me a PM. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There is a thread dedicated for replica jerseys 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Lauras Law

Thanks! You hardly have the link to that thread? I was looking but I can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Goals scored, hence why Spurs are ahead of Arsenal!

I didn't actually know until today that there were further tie-breakers.

More points in head-to-head matches.

More away goals in the head-to-head fixtures!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just thread catching up here, I'm not sure you watched the game did you?

Or have an idea of the injury list?

Or the formation that was played?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So the Ratcliffe genius is given a presentation on Utd. Great commercial side says he but he wants to take over the football side. As an indication of the talents he can bring to this role he publicly names Casemiro as an example of bad recruitment. A player in his 30’s just entering his second year of a five year contract worth 350k a week.

Sure what could go wrong? I’m sure Casemiro will work twice as hard and run his legs into stumps after that inspiring comment.

It’s actually hilarious the muppets who think they know football because they had success in another field.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement