Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Disaster of a day on the south east coast. Foggy misty dull dreary and you’d have a jacket on.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Banarol

22.7C todays official high in Gurteen

Nice to be in shorts outdoors at dusk getting towards mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was nice to give the grass the final cut of the yr today ahead of the winter or whatever bastardised version of winter we will get. Didn't get a chance to give it a final cut last autumn with all the rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Advertisement

How do you know it'll be the last cut Bill😉

Lol, wouldn't know the way the climate is going. In Nov 2021 I heard lawnmowers going. But damn it I'm not cutting the grass again this yr even it grows back again. I'm sure it will a bit but first half of October is where I draw the line. Cutting the grass in Nov just would feel very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

What omg are we even in the same country? Look it could be worse look at poor Scotland with the flooding and the loss in the rugby

It could keep growing. But you run out and impoverish a lawn too.

I agree, you have to call a halt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Couldn’t care less about rugby but honestly not a nice day on the south east coast. Foggy misty and not warm. Went for a walk along tramore strand and 95% of people had a jacket on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lovely warm day in East Clare, the sun only broke through for a short while though..People camping overnight at the local lake and people in swimming..

Silage(Lawn) cut, took ages..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I was delighted with today in Tralee. I love my back garden and being able to comfortably spend time out there which is what today delivered for me. I also barbecued. I've a primitive old barbecue that needs a calm day for the coals to light and stay lighting. And today delivered that too. So no complaints at all from me.😀 If only we got more days like this! Dry, pleasant, mild and calm. You'd imagine it's not asking too much, especially for summer, but alas near the Atlantic coasts it is! And looks like the Atlantic will be back in charge again from midweek on.😒

What no I love the rugger , at least tonight is a warm one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My final cut last autumn was on the 1st of September, didn't get a chance to cut the grass after that with so much rain throughout the autumn from start to finish. I cut my grass here a few days ago and already I can see considerable growth over the past few days from the rain the other day and the warm temperatures. I will give the lawn a final cut probably on Tuesday before we turn cooler and more unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I cut the back garden grass today, so probably its final cut. I cut the front lawn last Monday and think it might need another cut - not mad growth, but enough for a bit of a tidy up. So will probably do it tomorrow evening and hopeful that will be that. Dandelions never seem to stop growing, though, regardless of the weather!

Collecting leaves is a full time job at the moment. Mad how certain trees have nearly lost them all already, yet trees of the same type right beside them are still in full leaf.

I'm ready for some Autumn chill now so please let it arrive soon. Looks like rain is the main feature for the moment though after this warm, dry interlude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Strange day in Sligo . Was proper hazy sunshine but it was raining. Looked up and sky was blue. Then a few clouds came and the rain stopped then sun again and it started again. It was as if the weather was even confused. Got to 20c in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

21.3C at Dublin Airport makes it the warmest October day since records began here in 1939 beating 21.2C on 22nd October 1971.

Much better day than yesterday though still a lot of cloud for my liking. I preferred the clearer, gin blue skies in October 2018.

The lack of wind though is very nice! Reflections in Dublin City after sunset for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Was a great day in South Wicklow. Decent amount of sun and was warm, cut the lawn in shorts and t-shirt. Leaves coming down in waves from the beech trees now too.

Any storms on the horizon? I don't see anything on the charts but in terms of signals etc. any potential for something to form? Be great to have a few quiet weeks even if it's going to rain or get colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tomorrow and Tuesday exceptional days again before a cold front brings us down to 12c on Wednesday. Cooler airmass for a while then. Doubt we'll see 20c again in 2023 after Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Atm looks like potential for some frosts next weekend. Finally some autumnal like weather second half of the coming week.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised November will have either 20c or -5c especially the way weather is lately

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think so too. I think all the winter months could have exceptionally high temperatures at times. With this in mind what is the highest temperature day time ever recorded in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

It definitely feels like the warmest day of this spell here in North Meath. Warm sunshine and hazy blue skies. Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Muck so far in Cork, so damp and humid. Looks like it's gonna clear up a bit later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Dense fog this morning with no sign of it lifting yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gorgeous morning in Kildare with good sunshine and temperatures close to 20°c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some sea fog rolling into Greystones now. Still sunny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had fairly dense fog last night under clear skies after the warm humid day here near Tralee, fog burnt off early this morning by the coasts, could see some in the distance inland earlier. Bit fresher earlier this morning but warming up nicely now, about 15-16C. Surreal weather, lots of leaves falling, darker nights and mornings and yet so warm. So dry the leaves are crunching into pieces

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another warm and sunny day. While temperatures will revert to average for the time of year by Wednesday/Thursday it will feel a shock to the system compared to what we have right now which is probably the last time we will see 20C+ until next May or June.

Advertisement