Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Another ref screwjob, should have been a red and pen. Their 2nd goal as well came from a free that never was, March just falls over and the ref gobbles it down whole. So much for Liverpool enjoying some ref decisions for the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We were brutal for long periods of the first half. Robbo was just brutal.

Fair result but we really should have gone 3-1 up and realistically should have been playing 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I completely missed the Grosse incident, what happened (out for dinner and no sound on tv).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Matip last week, Robertson this week. Just deal with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Very poor goals conceded today bad as they were looked like might nick the 3 points,on we go to the Derby 12.30 kick-off

• Advertisement

Another blatant ''mistake'' that always seem to happen in games that involve Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Need to get 12pts from next 4 before Citeh game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Augme

Frustrating in lots of ways but the priority is top four. The team isn't good enough to challenge for a title and this was obvious at the start of the season. Going into the second international break we will be either 3rd or 4th and I'll be happy with either of those spots at the end of the season.

The referee's though, Jesus, they really are useless.

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gravenberch missed a tap in to an open net that would have killed the game.

I think we can give it a rest about referees this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Was a game of of two wrong foots, Gravenberch for his opportunity to make it 1-3 and Robertson on the Dunk goal.

I wouldn't go writing off Robertson on that mistake though as we've always switched fullbacks while defending setplays so yes we got it wrong today but how often do we generally mess it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Draw was a fair result in the end, we were poor enough in stretches but still had enough chances to win the game.

Referee was again rubbish, find it very difficult to believe that wasn’t preventing a goalscoring opportunity and should have been a red, which would have been an entirely different game.

It felt like one of those situations where the referee/VAR thought that they’d be being overly harsh to Brighton by applying the rules correctly. Unfortunately referees rarely just apply the rules regardless so we get immense inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

2 points a game is the target to get top four, rebuilding the midfield at once is a big task and I wouldn't be expecting a title challenge. We'll have games where just don't work but so far this season there's been plenty of promising signs.

2 draws on the bounce, 19 games unbeaten ,

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Two very tough away games out of way but we expected much more fight and energy from the team today after last week . Gravenberch missing that open goal for 3-1 felt like turning point even if it would have been a underserved win.

We looked worse with Trent and VVD back than any of last few games with Gomez and Matip playing. Konate gives that free leading to the goal because Trent is completely burned yet again on the wing. I was willing Gomez to come on for the few mins before Brighton equalised.

Lethargic square passes across the back to point Ali or VVD are standing still with ball until we get pressed to making a rushed pass into a midfielder whose crowded off the ball.

We used to dedicate the tempo of games but those 2 errors after such resilience last weekend it's very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Another international break so I guess a short summation to date is due. 11 games played in all comps, 8 wins 2 draws and a loss. If you were offered that in August you'd take it, draws away to Chelsea & Brighton are far from disastrous and the spurs result doesn't need any explaining on that.

Plenty positives, some negatives but lots to build on more importantly.

Not a high footed challenge or over the ball but studs in on Odegard by Kovacic. Yellow card and var agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Ridiculous, then goes in late and a little high on Rice and no yellow. Jota got 2 soft yellows and Kovatic should have gotten a red. This is what will kill the league, the inconsistency of referees. Shocking decision and would you believe it Man City benefits again.

• Advertisement

100% has to be a complete overhaul of the rules regarding Var

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Furious with Robertson but if Arsenal get a result today then I wouldn't be downbeat on league just yet.

Next four games will be interesting, easier on paper.

Refs getting it totally wrong again in the Arsenal v City game. Michael Oliver was involved last week and again today. It's an absolute shambles and that's by no means a overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Curtis Jones' straight red is a straight red every single time...

Except when it's City then Kovacic gets to do it twice for one yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That was a poor result, and more worryingly a poor performance, the worst 90 minutes of the season?

Opening quarter was shocking, passive, ponderous and pedestrian, illustrated by the passing for the opening goal.

We did improve either side of the break, got couple of breaks and found ourselves ahead, and should have killed it with Gravenberch chance. That miss seemed to knock the stuffing out of us a bit, and we were lucky enough in the end to get the point, certainly didn't deserve 3.

At what point does Kostas get the start? Robbo is becoming error prone, whether it's age or a lack of focus I don't know, but his place should not be guarenteed, and if the other guy is on better form he should play. Alexis struggled at times, don't know if Brighton targeted him or what but he seemed to be caught up in possession a few times.

The excuse I'm seeing for Gross not being sent off is that Szoboszlai isn't in possession.....he's not in possession because he's been pulled away from the ball!

Btw Isak never touched the ball when VVD got sent off for his DOGSO challenge on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Arsenal v City was a terrible game. Arse win with a late deflection.

Pity about the last two games but 3 points off the top isn't too bad given the fixtures we've had. On paper we have a lot of very winnable games coming up now until we play City in late November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Arsenal, Spurs & Man Utd have had 5 home games. We’ve had 3. We can beat City.

Don't know why people are already writing off our title chances, we're 3 points off top having already played 5 of the top 7 sides (not including ourselves)

Poor performance today for sure, but it's not been indicative of the season.

• Advertisement

Everton at Home, Nottingham Forest at Home , , Luton Away, Brentford at Home.Liverpool Home Our next 5 in the league. Hopefully we can win all these, and go top.

Man City have

Brighton H

Man u A

Bournemouth H

Chelsea A

Liverpool A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This, I think people are really underestimating the difficult start we have had to the season, to have 5 wins, 2 draws and a loss from those fixtures is great going, considering we are bedding in a completely new midfield makes it even better too...More bad referring decisions against us today to, I can't believe Gross didn't even get as much as a yellow card for the peno, VVD got a red and he actually made a genuine effort to play the ball, Gross knew exactly what he was doing in hauling down Szobo.

Brighton are a strange side, being well beaten twice already this season but then easily beating two of the top 4 from last season. They are quality so getting only a point is not bad. City losing twice in a row in the league and now coming into a tough stretch will be interesting to watch. I have to wonder whether Pep is thinking about Haaland and his off the ball work. He is a scoring machine, but if they lose a few more will he start overthinking it and whether he fits their team with their possession based play and having so few touches?

We are only 3 points off the top, still to play Arsenal and and having been screwed once by the ineptitude of the referees and being on the wrong side of a few decisions already this early. I hope the saying...it evens out over the season...is true as we will be due some later on when we will need it.

Jones at home, banned for 3 games, looking at his. What are we suppose to think, what is he suppose to think. It's so obvious something is rotten in this league.

I think the rotating midfield is nice for options but we might need a consistent 3 to get used to playing together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Anyone else think macallister has been a total flop so far,and not just today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

No, he's paying the price for the club not recruiting a good CDM. He's been mostly decent but he's just not a CDM. Think it's a big gap in the squad and if Endo isn't up to it, a new player has to come in January who is up to the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

He's playing in midfield,he's been crap so I'd consider him a flop so far anyway,doesn't mean he won't improve of course but he'd want to get a move on

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No. He's not a DM.

If anything the problem is Endo, though it's harsh as it's not his fault. Endo is really a squad player but he's the only DM we signed this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I was giving out about him earlier but it isn't his fault. He's doing fine there but smart teams will go after him, like today. The first goal was VVDs fault, that was a f*cking suicide pass.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not at all. He's been plugged into a position that isn't his best by a long shot. He's been pretty decent in a few games.

The lad is a number 8 often even been played as a 10 and now is playing as a 6 due to recruitment issues. Id argue he's actually better than I expected...that goal today was on VVD, you simply can't undercook a pass to your midfielder when you know he's getting pounced on. McAllister was a sitting duck on that one...

This season is an interesting one, I'm not by any means suggesting we're going to win a title, but in my opinion there's no outstanding team this year. Arsenal are a solid side, with a great midfield but are going to suffer from a lack of out and out front man. Spurs are Spurs, UTD are back to where they were 2 seasons ago, Chelsea could come good, but again have no one upfront, Newcastle are soild but won't be near the title come April, and lastly I'm putting my neck on the line here, but City are not as good as they were last season! A bit like ourselves at times, teams are now creating lots of chances against them and they look vunrable in most games. They will still win most games, but this team doesn't have it in them to win 12/13 games on the trot like previous years!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I don't have any reasonable expectation this team can win the league. We are many points off 1st as we are 7th. We are just off the back of missing out on CL and getting back into top 4 again would be a strong step forward this season in our rebuild.

Our whole Midfield in that 2nd half have less than 10 Prem games each for Liverpool and we don't have a proper single DM. To expect them to bed in so fast to win the league in their first season?

We might have a chance if VVD/Robbo/Trent weren't on such a downward trajectory and we had a proper No.6 . That was badly exposed today and could cost Top 4 not a mind the league . We looked more balanced defensively Gomez , Matip or Quansah were playing while Trent/VVD have been out.

It's the away games for me we just look like conceding every single game. A good Derby win after the break will definitely lift Spirits after a tough 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Robbed of a point last week didn’t deserve one today swings and roundabouts

Hit the crossbar at 2-1 and should have been playing against 10 men if you want to look at it another way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Surprised there's even a discussion on Mac Allister - was quite good today, particularly once Elliott went off and the midfield got more balance. I'd blame VVD much more for the goal, pointless ball to be playing, no upside to it at all, for significant risk. Mac Allister second half especially made a few absolutely beautiful (and important) turns in possession to allow the team to break. If we could get to January and bring in André so Mac doesn't need to do the DM stuff that he's just not built for, we'll be in good shape. Even out of position though, calling Mac a flop is total nonsensical hyperbole.

A draw probably fair enough, should've been 3-3 really, with Grav and Pereira each missing sitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Even suggesting he's a flop is ridiculous, he isn't even playing in his best position. Hopefully Klopp will get Endo up to speed in the next couple of months, or sign a quality DM in January. He's a quality player, no doubt about that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did you see the ball he played for Nunez to score against West Ham?

Or some of the intricate passing he does in central positions?

God, I definitely think we'll see more of him if he gets further up the field, but a flop?

I don't know what your exact expectations of this specific midfield were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement