Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i cant ever see SF and it's lefty buddies getting into power in this country.

the mask has slipped, and people have gotten a good look at the inhuman, monstrosity that lies beneath ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Actually this is not the case. When they have met a well-prepared enemy, they have not been successful. Like their mentors, the US (who drew in Korea, lost in Vietnam and ran home with their tail between their legs from Iraq and Afghanistan) Israel is only good at winning against very weak enemies.

Certainly they are very good at non-contact war against opponents who cannot knock their aircraft out of the sky, but they have been beaten on the ground by Hezbollah, and are very afraid of fighting a ground war in Gaza. IMO Hamas have taken a lot of hostages specifically in order to draw Israel into a ground war in Gaza which Israel cannot win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

One good thing about catastrophes is that they can leave you with nothing to lose. Years ago, I remember seeing footage of a Gazan whose mother had just been killed by an Israeli rocket strike. Yes, I deplore what the Israelis did here, he said, but why does our government fire missiles at them right next door to my house? I’m sure many Palestinian parents are quietly asking themselves what kind of future is Hamas planning for their children? Where are the jobs going to come from? Not everyone wants to get into the martyrdom business.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Palestine reveals its true face.

I hope it is now more widely understood what the Isrealis were resisting all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Yes it is also a wonder how they got the weapons into the gaza when everything that goes into gaza has to go through a tight Israeli security first.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭boetstark

You badly need to read up on the history of Palestine and of Hamas whilst you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

It will radicalise the Arab world and the Muslim world, especially Muslims in Europe. We will have many more Bataclans and Madrids and Nices. And that may only be the tip of the iceberg

I'm sorry, but no one should be allowing themselves to be stepped on out of fear of what savages will do. The arabs already hate jews and the west, a lot of muslims living in the west are celebrating these attacks. The harm is already done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

The origin of the problem as I see it is the Holocaust. The evil and unprecedented persecution of Jews by the Nazis led to the international community wanting to facilitate the creation of a Jewish state after WW2 . The land which the Jewish state was created on whilst British controlled was Palestinian land. This created a boil which could only be lanced by reversing history which isn't happening.

A huge problem is that Israel believes, with US backing that it can act with impunity against Palestinians. The irony of how Israel treats Palestinians is the echoes of the Nazi Germany. The Gaza strip is one big prison camp where living conditions are appalling. The relentless and illegal annexation of Palestinian lands, treating Israeli Palestinians like second class citizens and the general attitude of Netanyahu towards Palestine all serves to create a toxic mix.

It is no surprise Palestinians revolt against the horrific conditions imposed on them by Israel on land that was taken from them to create the state of Israel. People in desperate situations resort to desperate means to try to better their lot. I abhorr killing by all sides and violence rarely solves problems. Their is a lack of moderates on both sides for meaningful discussions to take place.

If the US was an honest broker it might reign in some of the Israeli excesses and may have prevented the illegal annexation of territories. The US is as much an impediment to a solution as the hardliners in the Israeli Government and Hamas on the Palestinian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

I think if theres to be a solution of any kind it would have to be very total in nature, with no loose ends. Its clear these cultures can't/won't get on, even if they could at one time thats now gone, the relationship seems unsalvageable. One side will always kick off. So they're like volatile chemicals which shouldn't be mixed, or stored close to one another. Basically co-existence won't work unfortunately. They have to be physically separated.

In the present context I can't see Israel being the one to move, so if theres to be a "solution" it would probably be the end of Gaza, which Israel would then absorb into their territory.

And even then the other Arab countries will still remain nearby and so will the same dynamic of mutual incompatibility.

The Jewish state being sited in its present location rather than pretty much anywhere else in the world must be one of the worst decisions in the history of the earth. Its a big planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I disagree. This may sound awful but like 9/11 the operation was brilliantly planned and bravely executed. The question is, what’s the point? Imagine if Gazans were using their energy and ingenuity to build businesses instead. Hamas has become a death cult that offers no future to its people.

What? Where are they going to go? Egypt won’t take them and I doubt the Saudis will either. The world has enough refugees already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

They are absolutely massive favs to be in the next gov. If you think Mary Lou's twitter handle will change that then you are naive in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

But will that involve welcoming a hostile population of 2.3m people (or 4.9m including the West bank) into the democracy of Israel. Israel has indicated they would never let that happen. There is no other country that will accept these people so not sure what the solution is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

You think Putin hasn't calculated that Trump has a very good chance of getting back in in 13 months time? Trump and the Republican party represent a fifth column for Russia and its client despotic states.

You're dreaming mate.

Israel doesn't have that capability, and the US weren't even able to win a war in Afghanistan, for gods sake. The war in Ukraine is at a standstill, with Russia in charge of a huge chunk of the S and East.

IMO the US is overextended as things are, and another war could exhaust their economy. Biden will do nothing that would interfere with his chances of re-election next year, so it will be lots of verbals, lots of pics and videos of US military might but little serious action.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Orange man bad. Burisma Biden Nordstream good.

• Advertisement

How fascinating that you know this, Mossad need to employ you, as they never even guessed that this attack was in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No he didn't

You even began your post with "I think.." which is comical in itself

And then you said "just" as if your bullshit out of context statement is hot off the press 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The US didn't run with there tails between their Legs from Afghanistan and Iraq,

Israel can't win in Gaza yeah No ,

But being what we have witnessed over the last 24 hours the massacres , rapes, beheading, desecration of dead women's Bodies and mass kidnapping your going to witness real violence nothing like we've seen since Isis, and I'm sure there will be some calling for peace and Talks safe and sound here in Ireland,but here's hoping the Israelis turn up the volume and and unleash everything in their arsenal for the next 6+ months,

Palestinian flags on twitter won't be saving anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deregos.

In short no, they reluctantly gave up that part of their nuclear program during negotiations to have certain sanctions lifted. But you could never rule out whether or not that they've been lying about they're secretly developing chemical weapons.

If Turkey can persistently vote for an Islamicist eejit like Erdogan who thinks lowering interest rates reduces inflation, I’m afraid there’s also a hefty segment of Iranian society supporting the mullahs that we don’t hear about too much. Any attack by a foreign power is likely to rally centrist Iranians to the flag as well, as Saddam Hussein found out to his cost. More likely is an Azeri insurgency in the north discreetly supported by Turkey, Azerbaijan and Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well i certainly agree with this post. I think the relationship is severely damaged beyond repair. It tho seems to me Israel is more out of place here than the palestinians. Even if the palestinians were gotten out of here the amount of hatred Israel would still have from its neighbours probably means there will still be trouble.

And yes it was the worst known world descion ever to put Israel where it is. It was the Americans and Brits who did this btw and look at all the shite it has caused. This is another reason why i think Ireland should steer well clear of Nato membership when alot of the world absolutely hate Britain and the US for this creation. But that is another topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Its a theoretical answer. Not a practical one addressing the details.

I don't think in such a theory that Israel would be looking to take on the population, but rather to simply push them outside the walls and wave them off in some manner or other.

I see no other long term solution. And I don't say that as a supporter of either side. They won't ever stop fighting each other if left in the same proximity so if you want an end to that fighting then it seems that logically one side must be either neutralized in a genocide, or, preferably the other option which is one side is moved away.

If you do see another way whereby fire can be safely kept in close proximity to dynamite in such a way as to guarantee no more explosions then by all means go ahead. Because they've been looking for that for some 75 odd years now and all we've got in the end is what you see in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

You need to stop watching so many movies Gatling. It's not that easy in the real world

Your idea of restraint is clearly different to a normal human being's view of restraint. But it takes all sorts, so I'll say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

let me just say this action by HAMAS is inhuman & barbaric. it has crossed all lines of what military conflict is about. no right-minded person can say otherwise (not even Mary Lou or that Murphy lad. imo they have signed their own political obituaries in attempting to support this evil).

i agree there is a yawning lack/absence of honest brokers and moderates. the Americans are not and cannot ever be honest brokers. the Jewish lobby in the states is too powerful/influential for them to be. the moderates have been silenced, so sadly i can only see more killing, more bloodshed.

God help the people of Gazza and of Israel.

Advertisement