Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Demand is nationwide. There is still property for sake that is below the cost of construction in places.

Looking at bonkers mortgage comparison site green mortgages @90,%LTV are available at about 3.75% and BOI seem to be doing a standard loan for 3.95% four year fixed. Those rates take a lot of risk out for FTB.

A couple of us here early when rates started to rise pointed out that Irish rates might not increase substantial because of the high levels Irish savings. Rates are only 1.5-1.8% above pre interest rate increases

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Do you think the 5% interest rates will last? or that they'll get higher?

I think something has to give the current state of the country isnt sustainable.

The utter state of houses down the country priced at 200k and above is utter insanity alot of em would require 100k in modernization if they by chance were got for there asking price its madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Rent allowance accommodated house shares, does HAP not do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I don't think bonkers has up to date figures. I could be wrong. Anyone with a current offer like to share the rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Only If people request it. They should be offered it and if refused, to the back of the list you go.

People shouldnt be offered own home accom on the social unless they have kids of school age or a genuine need to live alone.

The numbers on the waiting list would soon diminish if they house shared like everyone else in society.

Heck, some folks might even get a job so that they can afford their own place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have heard this before I have not seen anything to contradict there rates. I have quoted them before.

They are a snapshot in time. O doubt if you went in on Monday morning that you would be quoted 0.25% more.

Who has quoted you 5% or more on a standard mortgage either variable or fixed

Please show the rates

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Bank of Ireland are up at 4.75% and aib are more or less the same from what I'm seeing. The 3.75% is a green mortgage only for houses with a b rating and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Need to be borrowing more than 250k to avail of the 3.95 for 4 years with BOI.

I'd presume most Dublin FTB would be.

No cashback deal on it either.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

McWilliams in today's IT predicting monumental collapse in the commercial property market.

When taken together – changes in lifestyle and increased working from home, an endemic structural over-supply and lack of immediate demand, the whiplash in interest rates requiring heavily leveraged investors to sell, and the impact of much higher refinancing costs – we have the conditions for a perfect storm leading to commercial property meltdown.

Here we go again. Strap in tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Who is going to end up holding the baby if his prediction comes to pass? Maybe cheaper office rents will be good in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

Let's hope it's not the taxpayer, and government does not decide to spend our money propping up the commercial market as well as the residential one.

I guess a downturn in commercial construction could have a positive effect on labour supply for residential construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Much of the current commercial building projects would have been green-lighted back circa 2018 when talk of a Brexit bonanza influx from London was in vogue. It was an obvious bubble even before WFH became cemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

McWilliams likes making that prediction. He does so fairly often, like back in 2019: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02T5nv4jXZTmHeWiwyEbSHQm5m4P5WBXTTdFYaMpHY7rXanERcPf9r3RVieqpHPTQLl&id=6303603305

Eventually he'll be correct of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

While I'd agree in an ideal world that social housing tenants could potentially be accommodated in house shares, it boils down to the purpose of social housing. If social housing is aimed as a long term solution using social housing as house shares defeats this goal. That's before the practical issues.

At best house shares are a medium term solution. The problem is that you have a significant number of people who are earning too much to qualify for social housing but not enough to buy their own place. That's the segment houses shares currently serve(ignoring students) and have turned into a de facto long term solution something they are just not suited for.

In short councils can and arguably should be using house shares as part of the housing strategy. The issue is its only a short term fix and needs to be combined with a long term solution. Part of the problem has been short term fixes have been used instead/not with long term solutions. Ie rent controls and if some people had/have their way eviction bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Don't see it getting cheaper in the next 12 months.

The Ukraine war ending and the 100k refugees head home may push the needle.

That said, some builders look to be in difficulty, not able to afford rates that subcontractors are charging, and I'm sure interest rate rises are having a large impact there too.

It's up to the ECB to deal with interest rates, so look at inflation in Germany and France to get an idea whether they will increase. Not looking good for rates dropping anytime soon, and I'd imagine Irish banks will be slow to reduce rates, seeing as they were slow to increase them.

Calling a peak in commercial property in mid 2019 looks pretty accurate to me. Mcwilliams bashing becoming a sport around here

Retail property valuations, on the other hand, which have already fallen 30% over the last three years due to the pandemic, are holding up a little better and are predicted to fall by up to 10% in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Why extract one sector of the CRE market to back up the claim. The one sector that was changing massively anyway for a long time before 2019 as people changed their shopping habits and no longer used physical shops for purchases. Just look at Philip Green and how the high street changed his property portfolio…this was way before 2019. It was around 2016 that more retail shops started closing than opening.if it was only retail that McWilliams was talking about in 2019 then it was not a prediction as was happening for years before.

On the Other hand in 2019 he was saying that all the new hotels being built were never going to be filled and we had a massive oversupply. Have you tried to book a hotel room recently is there any sign what he was saying was correct.

in regards office space there was very much a divided opinion in 2018/19 and many like McWilliams highlighted the big tech head quarters as a sign the market had peaked….This assumption comes back to a phenomenon in the UK whereby every time a UK Bank opened its new shiny new HQ the bank was either taken over or got into difficulties. (many believe that this is because they paid more attention to the HQ than the actual business). There is little to no Empirical evidence to support this but make for good reading.

warehouse space was always going to be a growth area because of brexit and the fact that it looked unlikely that an agreement on trade would be reached

That leave residential property in the CRE market (I think the definition in the regs is 6+ residential properties = CRE) There is still no signs of slowdown here because as investors pull back AHB have stepped in. Take Apartment building in cork at the moment currently just shy of 1,000 hardly any BTR as investors and majority all being built for AHB as either social or affordable and I would expect to see a very similar situation in Dublin.

Saying McWilliams prediction in 2019 was right is not necessary the case when you jump into the facts..Also you can’t ignore the elephant in the room of his prediction in 2019 that house price will fall and don’t buy now as you will loose which he then doubled down on during Covid. Anyone listening to his advice then are financially worse off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

For hotels, one of the main reasons there is nothing available is that the gov are taking up a huge number of rooms now.

I deliberatey chose 1 paragraph as it emphasised that retail performed better than office space despite being down 30% in the 3 years after the peak being called in Irish commercial property, that's 2 of the 4 main commercial real estate segments

With regard to hotels, they were always going to get a bounce coming out of covid. As a person that has almost always holidayed in irl, since covid we have gone abroad. We have been priced out and we are not alone. The medium/long term effects of this have yet to be felt. The wheel always turns!

Ukraine aside, We also have over 14000 in emergency accomodation, usually hotels at huge cost to the taxpayer. At the same time we have a boom in residential properties acting as airbnb's. You cannot legislate for the depths of stupidity where homes are for the odd tourist and hotels are used as housing for families

What proportion of CRE is warehousing?

We were continuously told here from 2016 to 2020 that we could not build more residential property because Labour was busy building offices, hotels etc. Had we a plan we could have a more balanced approach with less commercial and more residential and then we might have some hotel beds for tourists and homes for families

I do recall David calling for a buyers strike, but here is his opinion piece on the market January 2020

100% correct and government would love to move into housing to save money and this not taken into account in the assessments of no of houses needed. Which tells you that AHB will step in and drive demand and prices even if the CRE residential sector started to slow.

• Advertisement

Do we have any recent figures on govt take up in hotels?

Especially the split between international protection & people on housing waiting lists.

The state started this cycle up to there eyeballs in property and land and will end it being the last fool in the market

Great deal for the taxpayer yet again, odd that it's dressed up as a money saving exercise

We are where we are, I suppose

AHB = social and affordable housing and is what what we are hearing day in day out is required by all parties. This is what traditionally was called council housing….Only difference is that by doing via a AHB any debt doesn’t get consolidated into the national debt….regardless of what political party is in power they will all use these vehicles for any social housing. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is what you have repeatedly said what is needed (I.e. social and affordable housing)

The only difference between SF and current government Policy is that SF want to use public land so that there budget figures look better in a short media clip. But Once you take into account the land value at market prices you end up in same financial cost to tax payer. Neither SF or current government can change the cost of building social housing directly to the same standard.

Just to be clear I’m not talking about a policy of renting or leasing instead of building because were specifically talking about CRE getting into difficulty and not building BTR. We have seen signs of something similar over the past year or two and the example I gave was the apartments being built in cork at present where the majority are AHB and very little private BTR because yields are to low despite eye watering rents to break ground on projects with planning approved.

We dont need just social housing though.

People on average salaries need somewhere to live also.

The govt buying up new homes on estates and developments, on top of the Part 5 allocation, is soul destroying for those above the social welfare threshold.

It’s irrelevant as to the split because there is a legal requirement to house international protection.

what we do know is that in homeless numbers they are not included despite the need to house.

But that still doesnt help supply for the average worker that doesnt qualify for AHB.

The split matters to them.

If a developer builds 100 apartments and 20 go via part 5 to the social, thats grand and instructs a mixed development.

If the council then buy the other 80 to house IP or reduce their social housing list, thats **** for the average worker who doesnt get a look in because they earn too much and from their perpsective, housing supply has increased by zero - pushing prices of available stock (available to them) even higher.

Great work govt. Not.

the average worker gets a look in today with the Help to Buy…. that’s the only help they get…does it push up prices of course it does when the supply isn’t adequately addressed. it’s SF policy to remove this but yet again it doesn’t address supply issue.

When it comes to supply they are of the belief that building more social housing will fix the problem and the private market will continue to deliver the same level of housing at present despite workers being redirected to build social housing and the loss of the HTB subsidy.

It’s not like as a country we don’t know what happens to house building when costs are more expensive than the sales price. Are peoples memories really that short?

So the way I see it is unless SF can explain the following then anyone that is working and paying tax beyond the min rate is going to be substantially worse off if they are looking to buy a house.

• - how they are going to control building cost to ensure that private housing doesn’t cost more than it would sell for so housing

• - how they will find extra workers to build their social housing without impacting the private housing market.

• - how they will cut the cost of building to offset getting rid of HTB

• - how they are able to build housing so much cheaper to the same standard in their alternative budget besides fudging figures to exclude or not take into account all the relevant costs such as the public land they are building on.

Of course the could get rid off Vat on residential property (if legally allowed by EU) but then how will they balance the books for this loss of gov income. Will they increase tax elsewhere or make cut to government spending or will the savings in HAP or Hotels cover it. Basically share how the figures genuinely stack up without the smoke and mirrors.

So if government buy for homeless or IP it is irrelevant as to split either way house is not available to buy on private market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Further offsetting the ECBs inflation fight:

Homeowners will also be able to claim 20pc tax relief on mortgage increases between this year and last year capped at around €1,250 under a new scheme to be announced by Finance Minister Michael McGrath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Everything we've learned from economics over the last few centuries is that increasing borrowing costs during inflation is the lesser of 2 evils.

Irish government currently offsetting the ECB increases as much as possible. Bonkers

Advertisement