Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But how does Ireland get around the issue of refugees coming to Ireland and claiming asylum....what exactly are you proposing? The "zero refugee policy" of the thread title would be completely illegal under every international law going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Not giving them multiples of the EU average in free cash every week would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I agree it is generous , there is one glaring omission in this ...the cost of living in Ireland vs the cost of living in the Ukraine .

Even with accomodation and food included .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We could see a new surge in Refugees from Palestine/Israel/Iran in the not too distant future.

Hopefully things de-escalate there, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭batman_oh

What do they have to pay for when they are getting almost everything for nothing on top of full dole? It's 200 a week pocket money basically and its far better than what people who live here get from the state

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Arry for heavens sake, you don't think they have that sorted, have a look at the cigarette packets the next time you're in some hostelry or cafe

I agree it's more than generous but that's not what I was saying if you read my post ..

"The average cost of living in Ireland ($2343) is 328% more expensive than in Ukraine ($548). Ireland ranked 6th vs 168th for Ukraine in the list of the most expensive countries in the world. The average after-tax salary is enough to cover living expenses for 1.3 months in Ireland compared to 0.7 months in Ukraine."

One would think that a news outlet like The Sunday Business Post as quoted by the poster would be able to work out some simple maths , before publishing ?

Or was it just @Kermit.de.frog that was pulling that extrapolation out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Lol who is smoking 60 a day, and how many weeks do they have left to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Trust :

When is the last time, anyone here, heard an Irish politician use the phrase… ‘ temporary protection ‘ ?

aside from when seeking to extend it to 2025…?

the term isn’t and hasn’t been in vogue and hasn’t been in the everyday or semi regular vernacular of politicians for around 18 months or more.

forget residency, forget sending them home ‘with’ continuous social welfare…ffs… both unacceptable.

just offer them the assistance what was promised…. ‘ temporary protection ‘…

anything any politician tells you about immigration, protection, refugees etc… you can take with a seriously significant, pinch of salt now.… we have discovered this the hard way…

this current situation and the political handling of it and the politicians willful derogation of the wellbeing of their own citizens here AND our democracy shows politicians now here in NO way can be trusted.

their ideals will continue long after the current situation is resolved, if it’s ever resolved …. Refugees arriving will and has become almost an industry to certain business sectors here… an awful lot of cash to be made.. by some…. 💰💶🏧

we turn up, vote, but democracy… don’t feel like it…

if we can’t deal with the refugee situation responsibly and keep prioritising the wellbeing of our citizens , then we should have a zero refugee policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I think people accepted that but the question was: given food, healthcare, accommodation and transport are covered, what do they need the cash for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Why would they factor in cost of living when more or less everything one would spend money on is covered for the Ukrainians already?

In addition to their free cash being nearly double that of the next highest paying country in the EU

It's not at all reasonable - it’s completely over the top and is costing us billions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm sorry, but my overriding, instinctive reaction to this is "So what?!"

If it's too expensive for them here even after all the freebies and pocket money, then their option is to go home or elsewhere. It's not on us to give them even MORE free stuff/money!

No-one is forcing anyone to stay if they're unhappy with the supports.

A teacher in Ukraine can make more money as a taxi driver .

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

And note the attempt to change the narrative. "That's entirely a matter for people and local businesses in those towns and is between them and the government."

As if the populations of those towns had any say in this. With the "new to the parish" being bussed in in the dead of night. And when those same populations take action themselves blocking roads etc, because there is no engagement from Roderic O'Gorman's Department, it's suddenly "look at those racists."

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Many of these rural towns have seen depopulation in recent decades, schools forced to close etc. The idea that Ukrainian people are nothing but a burden on these towns is open to debate. The protests in Inch, Co. Clare don't necessarily seem to be a typical experience. Didn't locals in Cahersiveen successfully campaign to stop Ukrainian people being moved out of their community this year?

Send Ukrainians to those communities than can and want to support them . I am sure it will work out grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

The numbers seeking asylum in the coming years are going to make the current arrangements unsustainable, if we haven't reached that point already. As other European countries harden their stance, Ireland can expect to receive a higher percentage of the EU's asylum claims. We better get used to seeing asylum seekers in tents. Unless someone can magic up tens of thousands of additional rooms each year. So at some point, the practical imperative will probably trump the "moral obligation". Although this being Ireland, we will probably be waiting a while.

Expect a new wave from Israel and Palestine soon.

Not being part of the EU wont matter I suspect.

We will play our part to help of course, but Europe generally needs a long term strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We (as in Ireland) should do no such thing.

We can't even support the ones here now, let alone still more from this latest flash point.

Then there's the potential security issues it could cause unless we picked only one side to support - but even at that, looking at the thread here or posts on twitter, Irish support is split as well. It's not as straightforward as Ukraine from the looks of it.

I'm sympathetic to the civilians and innocents on both sides, but it's not our problem to solve or responsibility to deal with the fallout.

The problem is the refugee situation is going to become more and more difficult to solve in coming years. Rising global temperatures will be one factor, as will conflicts in places like the Ukraine and the Middle East. There are not going to be any simple solutions : even countries hardening their stance may not achieve the desired results. Right wing governments like the Brexit regime cross-channel simply passing new laws may not mean a hill of beans in the face of tens of millions of people being displaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

this current situation and the political handling of it and the politicians willful derogation of the wellbeing of their own citizens here AND our democracy shows politicians now here in NO way can be trusted.

Well vote for somebody else you believe you can trust then...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s the problem. And now we ( Europe ) has become even more of a desirable outpost of assistance for citizens of Africa, Asia and beyond. The number’s arrived and arriving from practically everywhere is up having seen how good the Ukranian people have been treated, helped, accommodated and bankrolled… that’s btw according to the Institute of International and European Affairs  (IIEA)

Not the point . And not the question I was raising or replying to .

I am replying to you

Again Read The ....... Post .

The original poster I replied to , was making a statement trying to make a correlation between an average salary in Ukraine ( questionable even at that , as @grumpyperson pointed out also ) and the allowance being granted in Ireland, saying this was the reason people would come to Ireland . I just pointed out that was mistaken premise , which it is , but you and and three other posters took exception to what is a factual statement .

The cost of living, as my link shows , in Ireland is multiples more than in Ukraine .

As I said I find their allowance more than generous here . I also mentioned the fact that they get food and accomodation also here .

It may be a contributing factor to them coming to Ireland as IPAs rather than other countries who are more frugal , I agree .

But saying it is so much more than the salary in a country where each euro will buy 328 times as much as in Ireland is just nonsense .

That was my point . Not the rest which you and others have repeated over and over again, to me , to others and on this thread , which I don't disagree with entirely , but don't necessarily feel I need to repeat again .

I think we will be involved in a relief effort. Whether that comes in the form of financial support or housing refugees, I dont know.

But I suspect a combination of both.

For sure, but thinking that western countries can simply make the problem 'go away' by passing new domestic laws is very naïve. The Brexit govt in the UK are talking about leaving the ECHR, as it that somehow will magically solve their refugee problem and stop people coming to their shores by dinghy - when all it will do is make the country even more right wing and authoritarian than it already is, without doing a thing to reduce immigration numbers.

There is going to have to be a collective effort on behalf of western countries using a lot of creative / nuanced thinking to try and address the refugee issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Didn’t they campaign to stop their removal as they were going to be replaced by IP applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

So much so that the whole concept of "refugees" could be abandoned or rejected by many nations. I just can't see how European countries will be able to cope with tens or hundreds of millions of arrivals. We are already massively struggling with the numbers that we have. I don't see how you maintain public goodwill if you keep increasing the numbers with no end in sight. I also think it will be impossible for the European Union to agree and stick to a common policy on migration. And those tensions are only going to increase. I think the future will either be full open borders or much stricter border control and enforcement. I don't know how you navigate a middle course between these two if the predicted enormous migration of people happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well Michael McGrath has just announced non core spending of €4 billion mostly for housing. Great, you say, but it's just not available to Irish citizens. Oh. Is that why they have put in 8 foot high barriers around Leinster House?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Advertisement