Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long until we see €2 a litre and will it push more to EV's faster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

My €500 petrol car that drives 200km a day is looking pretty grim. I might go out and spend 50k on a EV.(that was a joke by the way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I imagine most €500 cars are pretty grim regardless of power train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I've a 50k petrol car that does 50km a day. The missus has a 55k EV that does 50km a day.

I don't get your point ?

Just because you cant afford nice things doesn't mean others cant or shouldn't .😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Exactly. My 3.6 petrol is bought & paid for, and my 2.2 diesel nearly so. At which point then unless you're giving me an EV for free, my fleet will still be cheaper to run (TCO-wise).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you disregard the potential cost of repairs and servicing then won't an existing ICE always be cheaper to run than ANY type of replacement car, either new or used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well that's an interesting point. If you think about it, running an older ICE (until you no longer practically can), is the perfect expression of: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

By rights, motor tax on old cars should reflect that too. Having people paying 600-700 on older ICE worth less than 2k, but having people paying €120 on a car costing €140,000 is patently wrong.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Motor tax is emissions based so it makes perfect sense that an old V8 pumping out tonnes of CO2 pays more tax than a 0 CO2 emitting Taycan.

In terms of material use keeping an old car on the road is better but not in terms of carbon emissions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ideally motor tax would be based on actual usage (via fuel taxes) rather than engine size, emissions or anything else.

However, this would increase costs to distribution & logistics providers so won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

Card rates have dropped from €1.86/l last weekend for DERV to €173.70/l from tomorrow morning

Wasn't expecting a drop and certainly not a drop of this amount. Calm before the storm perhaps

There's no reason they couldn't have a cap / rebate system in place for large users so once a haulage company incurs say €1,000 of fuel-based motortax on a vehicle in a year, they are rebated everything from then on based on quarterly returns

Fuel-based motortax makes perfect sense... no evasion, no tax offices, no paper discs, no yellow plates "waiting on the logbook" ... if you buy fuel at a pump, your motortax is covered

• Advertisement

Yes, administered similar to this. I believe that scheme rebates hauliers up to €0.07 / litre for road diesel purchased so if say 20 cent a litre was added to every litre of diesel and petrol at the pumps to replace motortax and any heavy user could recoup the difference after they've contributed say €500 for individuals or €1,000 for business users

There was approx 4.5 billion litres of road diesel and petrol sold in country last year so 20 cents per litre would contribute just shy of a billion euros towards motortax, which is much higher than the current kitty if I'm not wrong. Anyways.. only a thought

Might be a bit late in the day for a fuel based motor tax with liquid fuel being phased out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I don't see many or any v8's on a daily, weekly.. or yearly basis.

Anyway, the government don't really care about going green, it's all about protecting the tax take.

And it's the tax take that makes the country run.

Yeah, the early EV adopters will reap the initial benifits of low tax, but just like 2008 diesel buyers had rediculosly low motor tax... that came to an end.

In a few yrs , your cheap to run EV will be subject to higher taxes, based on weight/power etc

Enjoy the cheap motoring in your €50k EV while you can.

I'm not bashing EVs.. I'm just saying that the tax has to come from somewhere, and, cars/fags/booze are the auld reliables.

Cast your mind back to E85, that didn't last long.

HVO will probably get a tax break in the next few years, continue to tax diesel, then when that (hvo) becomes popular because it's an obvious alternative... tax the living sh it outta that.

Rinse& repeat

*PS.. there's also a market for washing green hvo, so that will keep a certain party happy

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

How much is this price costing people on boards? Petrol has gone from €1.65 to €1.85 I have a short commute so use 35 liters a month.

35 x .2 = €7 a month

So I don't notice the increase at the pumps however I certainly do notice the cumulative effect of the global oil price increase as that has an impact on everything I buy.

What is it like for people with longer commutes?

I buy almost 100L diesel a week on avg. That 20¢ increase is €20pw , €1k pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Post 2008 cheap tax diesels are still cheap to tax.

Hasn't the total motor tax take declined massively since 2008? They will definitely come up with some new system all right.

But I think it's the tax from fuel that'll be the big loss rather than motor tax.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

If you want to enjoy some cheap motoring there are EVs available on done deal from 3.5k no need to pay 50k for a legacy auto compliance car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Calling it now... when we're all in autonomous electric cars in 2030 (!!) you'll pay motortax based on how fast you want your car to drive ... so us peasants will pay €1,000 / year to be limited to a top speed of 60kmph where the big spenders will fork out €5,000 / year for the benefit of being able to travel along at up to 120kmph. It'll be subscription based, linked to your vehicle, so you'll have the option of buying a "fast pass" for a horrendous amount of money to allow you to travel at higher speeds for 2 hours, 12 hours or 24 hours... wife going into labour and 60kmph won't cut it? That'll be €1,000 😋🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Finally we will get the equivalent of our BMW lane 😁

Not very much, plenty of options for a lot less than 50k though

The majority of cars in Ireland do less km per day than the range of that 3.5k EV.

Well than that €3k EV is not suitable for you. Simple innit?

Here's a bargain EV for anyone interested. I'd have bought it myself already if I were in the market

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/151-nissan-leaf-sv-nct-5-25-auto/35305438

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Massive mileage though. That will still impact other mechanical bits and the interior.

Plus it's an ugly looking thing (IMO)

An 8 year old car with 350k on its clock and will just about do 80kms on a single charge?

Why wouldn’t you go for a €3k ICE that can do 700kms?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34933495

2015 Vauxhall Astra Estate

Yeah @tom1ie - range something like that. And you would get the Leaf instead of the ICE banger as it is far cheaper total cost of ownership. And better for the planet.

But obviously if it is your only car and you regularly need to drive 700km, then this is completely unsuitable

• Advertisement

Mat's a nice guy, but he's not really the sharpest tool in the shed.

Electric cars suit most people who live in the commuter belt around Dublin once they have a decent size battery. You can drive to and back from work on one charge and have some battery to spare. People who live inside cities can drive a older or smaller cell battery cars to do them on their drive to where they want to go in the city and get back home without having to use public charging.

Yes I do know electric cars are not for everyone especially if you drive across the country or have a large commute but there is a large number of people they will suit.

Yet, if he said EV was the only intelligent option, would you have still said that?

Did you listen to the actual podcast, or at least the bit about EVs? He's a really funny and likeable guy but his opinions were a bit simple and superficial. And of course the sun's summary was totally out of context. But one of the howler's of Mat was that it couldn't be right that Tesla as a company was worth more than Toyota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Range poverty going to be rampant

I can drive from Limerick to Dublin and back without charging. What you on about Willis?

• Advertisement

I'm not changing anything. It's all well and good to drive up to one spot in Dublin from Limerick and back again but as I pointed out in my original post that electric vehicles do not suit everyone especially if you drive cross country and do a few trips around the city or suburbs when you are in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Waiting ages for a taxi the other night, taxi driver apologized as the other lad that usually works alongside him had gotten an electric yoke n had run out of battery.

A lot to be said for throwing e50 of diesel in in 2 minutes Vs parked up getting recharged. You have a couple of golden hours to make your money taxiing at the weekend. Probably a non issue in Dublin where its busy the whole time.

Thanks, your story above has provided the unequivocal evidence that EVs won't work out. I'm going to put ours up on Done Deal right now and see if I can offload it to a bigger idiot than me. It's back to the super reliable TDi for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

How is it "better" for the planet?

That's a bollox argument at this point.

They get mined out of the ground using coal, oil and gas.

They get delivered around the world using coal, oil and gas.

They run on electricity often produced from coal, oil and gas

They run on roads built largely using coal, oil and gas.

"Slightly less damaging to the planet" is what you meant to say.

You did yeah, unless Limerick has moved to the Dublin commuter belt...

Well, both my EVs that I bought second hand have been running 100% on zero emissions solar PV from the panels on my house over the last 4 months. Not too many people can say that about their petrol / diesels 😉

Also no need for any child slaves in Africa forced to mine for cobalt that is needed to make diesel / petrol from oil

Your car was still mined out of the ground and shipped around the world using coal, oil and gas destroying the planet in the process.

Nothing zero emissions about your EV's as you drive them along roads built and maintained using fossil fuels.

Dirty auld coal will be backing them for a long time yet.

Zero emissions vehicles, lovely green washing that.

The use of coal for electricity generation has been on the way down for a long time. Worldwide. Not only is it filthy, but it now simply is too expensive. Thankfully. Wind and sun are far cheaper. The grids worldwide are getting greener every year. Not quickly enough in my book though.

Personally I am trying to do all I reasonably can. Both cars are EVs. I produce more electricity per year from solar PV than I need for my house, for heating my water and for driving my cars.

But that's not an option at all for an awful lot of people.

Coal production in 2022 reached an all time high and is expected to exceed that in 2023.

I doubt oil and gas production is trending any different.

As we reduce our fossil fuel dependency in Ireland it just frees up more fossil fuel resource for developing countries.

There isn't a hope of changing the global warming tragectory at this point. Pissing against the wind is all we are at.

According to the most recent update I have from the IEA, there's been a 17.3% reduction in electricity generated globally from coal compared to 12 months ago.

The latest IEA's Monthly Electricity Statistics report including June 2023 data shows that for Total OECD:

In the OECD, total net electricity production amounted to 864.1 TWh in June 2023, down by 4.5% compared to June 2022. Over the first half of 2023, electricity production dropped by 3.7% compared to the same period last year.

This decrease was mainly driven by reduced electricity generation from fossil fuel sources (-7.4% y-t-d), led by a significant drop in electricity production from coal power plants (-17.3% y-t-d). Natural gas, on the other hand, remained in line with previous year’s levels (-0.4% y-t-d). Overall, the share of fossil fuels in the OECD electricity mix was 50.2% in June 2023, around 1.6% lower than in June 2022.

Total electricity production from renewable sources was stable over the first two quarters of 2023 (+0.3% y-t-d), as strong generation from solar (+ 12.3% y-t-d) compensated for lower output from wind (-1.0% y-t-d) and hydropower (-2.3% y-t-d). The share of renewables in the OECD electricity mix settled at 33.5% in June 2023, almost unvaried compared to the same month last year.

Over the first half of 2023, electricity generation from nuclear slightly decreased by 0.6% y-t-d, with nuclear power recovering in the second quarter of 2023 and mitigating the reduced output registered in the first quarter. In June 2023, nuclear plants accounted for 16.0% of total OECD electricity production, up by one percentage point compared to June 2022.

That's just electricity though. Coal gets used for other things too.

Total coal consumption reached an all time high in 2022 and is expected to increase again 2023.

There's simply no way we will change the global warming trajectory at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Getting back to the price of fuel, the latest war that began over the weekend in the Middle East , will surely have the price of fuel at €2 very soon.

The other things aren't the topic of this thread. Electricity that can be used to fuel EVs is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement