Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at it smart meter options better and Energia coming in best.However use more at night and morning.Currently with flogas for gas and wonder if better to see If I can get a dual deal or just use seperate providers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

15% seems to be their best offer now for a rate of 34.62 from November 9th and standing charge of €237.54 pa. They tried to justify the drop in the discount with me by saying that it was because their prices were dropping by 15.5%. I pointed out to them that their prices had risen by a lot more than that over the last year and they hadn't increased the discount then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There’s no point trying to reason with them just switch to the cheapest option available, no such thing as loyalty to customers and they will shaft you at every turn if they can

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

The whole Energia fake switch thing is a bit ridiculous???

• Advertisement

Depends how much that extra 5% is worth to you

Could the retention team not just offer the 20% initially without the rigmarole though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just shows how stingy they've become, if they can get away with 15% that's all they'll offer. I think energy companies are hoping that the household consumer will just get used to these prices, that's usually what happens on treasure island 😡😡

Why would they do that ? Their aim is to take as much money as possible from customers/marks and it’s our job as consumers to get the best deal possible

expecting anything reasonable from energy companies is a step too far

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

There was talk recently of Energia offering the increased discount of 20% to new customer signups if they tried to cancel the switchover within the 14 day cooling off period. Was this just a hypothesis or has someone here experienced it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I think one or two poster said it worked for them, I cancelled my switching on Friday, hoping for a call back early next week.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Done it with my parents, was out of contract since sept 5

Switched, got a callback a few days after.

Backdated discount to the 5th, 50 euro credit, and 20% discount on rates.

Rural DN Inc vat@9%

36.10 day

17.32 night

377.06 standing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

And also the government energy credits will help them keep their prices elevated for longer. If you follow the forward contracting logic through from the spike in wholesale prices in 2022 prices should have fallen in April/May 2023 instead it will be November before a lot of customers see falls in their bills.

No great shakes there, that standing charge is high.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Joys of a rural DN connection.

BG : 394.62

Flogas:423.36

SSE: 378.03

EI: 439.93

Eco power:366.52. (night rate 27c!)

No bargains but best we're gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm out of contract since August with BGE. Was on Affinity -39% dual fuel.

Now paying 44.21 Elec and 0.134 Gas. On a urban standard meter plan (have smart meter installed). Have a family PHEV that gets charged at regular times a day and a young family with washes/cooking at peak times so smart plan doesn't prob suit

Bonkers/switcher not showing me any real savings at all. Is it worth sitting tight for a while or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

am with flogas , out of the deal i signed up to over a year ago, thought i signed up for the offer here but got nothing in the post . anyway, am on email billing. from the 26th of august , the unit rate has gone down from .3428 to .2752 . standing charge has gone up from 51 cent a day to 76 cent a day. is there better out there , ? finding it hard to work out the options. thanks

The only way to find a better option for your bills is to use bonkers/switcher website and use post 1 tip on how to use the site for full functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Anyone with Electric Ireland manage to negotiate any % off deal with Retention this year.

There's surely better out there. The energia 36c all day with 8c from 2am to 6am would suit you perfectly, it would certainly make the phev cheap driving. I'd go for it myself but being one of lucky ones to get the Flogas 30c deal I'm reluctant to give it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭djdunny

All I got was the standard 5.5% plus 100 euros credit. I didnt take it in the off chance a better deal comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

Can someone tell me if my meter is smart or not MCC16?

The search function isn't working on boards

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Check your bill maybe...

Edit: Misread your post, MCC16 appears to be a smart meter alright. Just Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

RTE news : Yuno Energy lowers electricity prices from today

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1009/1409727-yuno-energy-lowers-electricity-prices-from-today/

Yuno price cuts today - interesting?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

By my spreadsheet, Yuno are now the cheapest, but bear in mind you have to pay in advance with Yuno so if you currently pay monthly (e.g. level pay) you'll have a month with 2 bills when you switch to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

33.35 cent per standard unit for 24 hour plan. €264.73 standing charge.

Funny how Yuno rates dropped with IMMEDIATE effect???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

i'm thinking of pulling trigger on Energia smart ev plan, we have a PHEV so well able to fully charge during those hours, currently on EI 24hr smart plan at 35.73c with 10% I know theres a discount coming 1st Nov. that will make it 32.157 c ex vat , cheaper standing charge too currently .76c with EI

surely I'd make the odd 1.4c difference up in night time charging ?? will have to pay exit fee to EI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Have EV, solar panels (3.4 kw) and smart meter. Switched to EI weekender (free Saturday) about a year ago and have analysed our usage from the ESB Networks HDF file....

61% of our usage has been at the Saturday rate ... I'd say 40% was car charging.

39% at standard rate about 44 c

The 44c will be 40.4c from November 1st (incl. VAT, and discount..)

So I make it average rate of about 16c per unit approx. for all usage for the year.

With all the talk of discounts etc... I think average rate you will be paying over the year is the one to focus on... that determines your overall cost for the year, with standing charge of course - €272 on this plan.

Very good plan for EV if you can get away with charging once a week (normally). May not suit for PHEV if you need to charge very night....

Everyone's situation different ... important to run your own figures, even if just estimates.

Advertisement