Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry I laid the trap and you walked straight into it. Do you know what most people would describe Farrell as?

A gruff no nonsense English northern.

Ireland has moved on from the 90's, we had no real stars then, plus everyone lived in England that we would class as famous.

Andy lives in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just on the closed shop for rugby point some are making.

That can happen in GAA. If you're a worldie hurler from Cavan, you're not likely to come within an asses roar of an All Ireland medal, or even a final. Same can be said for a footballer in Kilkenny.

I knew loads of talented soccer players that were overlooked because the other kid was from the right housing estate or his dad was mates with the coach. Killed off any chance they had before they even got started.

Definitely, rugby is set up in such a way that most of the talent ( but not all) comes from the upper middle classes.

But the other sports aren't universally open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rarities though not very common, the Rugby crowd is by and large a different demographic to the masses, in Dublin it is East Dublin basically along the Dart line for example. There is the odd exception in Rugby such as Trevor Brennan known as the 'Milkman'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Again as I said to someone else you should look into the AIL

The heads in Munster, Cork Con/Shannon etc. Munster is the exception massive cross over in all sports in Munster only have to look at Limerick - Football, Soccer Hurling Rugby. But for most of Ireland Rugby does not really 'grab' all communities it is very niche. Nevermind a nation. It is part of the reason Charlton managed it, he transcended the sport itself. Farrell has some job to turn that around.

Given where Rugby fits in the sporting hierarchy in Ireland, and the perception that some have that it is a sport for privately educated posh boys (rightly/wrongly). It is going to be extremely hard for Farrell to get that nationwide adoration Charlton received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Italia 90 was just a shyte tournament though. They got rid of the back pass to the keeper after that, keepers can't pick it up when a defender passes it back to them. They got rid of the third team out of 4 qualifying out of the group after that to.

England nearly got to the final that year too. Argentina with Maradonna in the shape he was in did get to it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

As for soccer being more competitive than rugby. It isn't. 2nd rate 'minnow' sides can put 11 men in their own half and hang in there to reach a penalty shootout, can't do that in rugby.

"Soccer isn't more competitive, it's just easier for smaller teams to compete with the big boys....y'know, the dictionary definition of the word competitive"

😀

Again you are trying to compare Charlton and Farrell. Carlton was 30 years ago and Ireland has changed massively in that period.

Rugby as I said is growing, the perception held by people who complain about it I find is based on rugby in the 90's. Has nothing to do with the sport today. Just look at this thread with people going on about "prods" etc.

The kids playing rugby now and will be the future of Ireland have none of these hang up or perceptions.

No trap at all it actually proves my point more-so

Which according to the premise of this thread, can Farrell get the same adoration as Charlton?

Would the average man on street know who Farrell is to be honest? Would they even care? This is in age unlike Charlton's time where info can be found at the push of a button. But still Farrell would be unknown or at best half known in my parts of Ireland. He does not have a Jack Charlton profile of personalty.

Rugby is a different world in Ireland. Bubbles of interest. I remember going to a Rugby match in the AVIVA. There was big club GAA matches on the same day Semi Finals. Could not find a place that showed before the Ireland game. Instead they had England Italy on all the televisions/big screen (6 Nations). I was shocked.

And the further you got away from Dublin 4 the less the casual person on the street would know there was a Rugby match on. I learnt my lesson the next time a GAA match clashed with a Rugby one. I tore off afterwards to a city centre 'rustic' northside pub that I knew would be showing the league final between Dublin and Kerry. It was on the same day as Ireland played England in the AVIVA.

So with all this division and clique type stuff Rugby has it makes Farrell's task of Charlton adoration, ether extremely difficult or virtually impossible.In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

In rugby, the better side nearly always wins. It's more of a team game, and scores are much higher. It would be a poor game if only one try was scored but that's par for the course in soccer.

Nil all, one nil games are common and one world-class striker can elevate an entire team.

• Advertisement

You are taking it from the angle Farrell will replace Charlton. Nobody is suggesting that. Based on the millions watching the rugby and thousands going to France I would expect they do know who Farrell is

Next time, go into the pub, ask the barman to stick on the GAA game and they will stick it on or tell you go watch it in the bar etc. I don't see what relevance a game on TV has? most bars will stick on what the first person asks for.

I was at a rugby game and walked out into Sandymount hotel and watched the GAA once. Yes the big screen had the rugby on but it was on in another TV room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Look at that famous video posted earlier showing the celebrations on the Walkinstown roundabout after the Romania game. Hundreds of people delighted with life and celebrating wildly.

Simply wouldn't happen today. Today, it would be a few people celebrating and 90% of the crowd with their phones out taking shite videos of the "celebrations".

Its no longer about Ireland winning, it is about something happening that dickheads can post on social media. Its shallow as hell and is the reason why people don't care deeply about what the achievement actually is. And in turn is why Farrell can never have the connection that Charlton had.

In any sport the better side nearly always wins. Thats why it's called an upset and you have the underdog.

A striker is only as good as the winger who can cross or the midfielder who can pass the ball to him. Hence why they are team sports

That doesn't at all disprove what he said.

A top player quite clearly elevates a team, of course he does and there are many many examples of it happening. Just because one team are still poor even with that elevation doesn't change the fact. Nobody ever said having a world class player immediately makes them world cup winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"tournament played at an elite level by a handful of teams"

Unlike the soccer world cup that has had 8 winners out of 22 tournaments you mean?

Rugby has 4 out of 9.

I'd say its more about him getting us to #1 in the world?

A lot of people in Ireland in the 90's onky had RTE. Sky Sports etc was not around, no internet etc.

You can't compare, in reality if 1990 happened now the majority of those people would be on boards arguing over something that happened in the game and not on the streets.

Yes, that was the whole point. Its why Farrell cannot have the same impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe that's the answer. Jack had charisma and presence enough for the Irish people to build a cult of personality around him, in a time where there were few other contenders.

Farrell doesn't have that. He's not on the Late Late, not on the radio, not doing anything pop-culture enough to expose him to the general public. Plus, people have more distractions to pull the lime light away from him.

The comparison between Farrell and Charlton is what this thread is about!!!!! 😀

The question the OP posits is would Farrell recieve the same adoration Charlton received I think the answer is simply NO -

Why?

1) Charlton's personality - larger than life transcending the sport - the little old dears suddenly were wondering if McGrath was playing in midfield or defence

2) The difficulty of the sport of soccer in comparison to Rugby - a true global concern

3) The lack of previous sporting international success Ireland had in Charlton's time

4) The downtrodden nature of Ireland at the time etc - dreary 1980's recession hit Ireland - mass emigration and unemployment etc

--

In contrast to now -

1) Ireland is now more upwardly mobile more educated - there is less of need for a 'saviour' like Charlton to take their minds off the grind of daily life is not there

2) People involved in Rugby - are certainly not of the downtrodden demographic - they don't need to look to be 'lifted'

3) But there are still whole communities in Ireland that are untouched by Rugby. It is viewed as 'other' in such places

4) I don't think Farrell has the personality to transcend his sport - to be 'loved' in Ireland like Charlton

--

Your point about Rugby growing is a complete irrelevance to the question would Farrell get the same adoration Charlton received. In you going on the more general point about Rugby, it proves Farrell has the impossible task to get the Charlton levels of adoration, in my opinion.

I agree with your overall post - totally different sports in totally different eras - but Farrell is surprisingly charismatic.

That being said, anything less than reaching the final is a disaster for this Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Player with access to better coaching improves his chances of playing professionally, shocker.

You clearly have quite a chip on your shoulder with these embittered rants

You’re trying to make this into a social standing/classism thing with the schools and “access” to professionalism - it’s nothing about attending the “right” school that gets you picked. The preponderance of private schools players in Irish professional rugby is simply explained by the fact that these schools have decades longer traditions of playing the sport than most others and focus heavily on it.

Plenty of private schools that are useless at rugby - their players don’t get to play either, because they’re not very good.

If you’re good enough you play, regardless of your background or whatever.

They would not switch on the GAA when I was there. Big Hotel. In fact the only solutiion I was given was someone asking me if I was a resident in the hotel. Meanwhile Italy v England was everywhere - a meaningless match which was at the press conference/post match by that stage as well.

My point in mentioning it is that many Rugby places are in their own world. Rugby does not really transcend to other sports in Ireland. The Mick Galwey's, Shane Horgan's were rare exceptions.

I find in Ireland Rugby is a closed bubble, it is impossible that Farrell gets Charlton level adoration in such circumstances. How can it happen even looking at that aspect alone. Even before you examine their respective personalities it is a no contest IMO.

Charlton wins the adoration scale easy. Like Australia 143 - Namibia 0 in Rugby WC 2003, you would have to wonder how Farrell would have a hope to be matched up against Jack Charlton.

Fair enough I don't know much about Farrell's personality, but if he ends up being more adored than Jack Charlton fair dues to him. What it the phrase Keith Wood says?

'It's a tough ask'.

The main thing is people over 40 know who Charlton is. Anyone under that will struggle to know who he is, anyone under 30 will have little to no idea.

If 1990 was now would Charlton get the same adoration? no. Why? people in Ireland have access now to Worldwide TV and have the internet. Woudl an Ireland team be accepted if it played the style Charlton played? when Trap tried to do it people went mad

So taken that into account if Ireland(which is a long shot) wins the World Cup would Farrell have the same adoration as Charlton 1990? no

Would he get the same as Charlton if both coached now? yes and Farrell would get more as he actually won trophies.

Like most Irish fans I ignore most games but watch all the big ones, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about Farrell beyond him being English and his son being a current player.

He may well be charismatic in person, but he certainly doesn't transcend his sport in any way whatsoever.

FYI the 6 nations that Ireland won earlier in the year, a Grand Slam, is the equivalent of the European Championships in soccer terms. As close as you can get because it is a yearly tournament and the Euro's are every 4 years, but it's the best teams in Europe against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

But is anyone even suggesting that Farrell outstrips Charlton in the adoration scales?

Italia ‘90 was a cultural phenomenon in Ireland that cannot be replicated, completely different country and media structure today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Unfortunately people close to Rugby in Ireland don't really realise how small it is as a global sport. It is way down the pecking order compared to Baseball, soccer, Basketball, Cricket and many other sports that have far bigger audiences and much higher numbers of professionals competing. Ireland have done really well due to our excellent structure but the elite club game is really struggling in Wales, Australia, Scotland and even South Africa. Even if we win I can't see Farrell getting the same adulation as Charlton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's not a disaster. Jebus.

Wrong side of the pool, nz in the quarters...I think we will, but need a bit of perspective here.

Advertisement