Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Looks like a much smoother ride when stopping and starting vs an oil burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Any idea of the purchase price of such an electric tractor unit ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I suppose a better metric would be how much more would the electric one be in %

I'm sure a new truck is easily be well above 100K

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No idea honestly, but I imagine there'll be a significant premium over a diesel tractor unit

I suspect a lot of these will be sold to fleet customers before they take orders for independent haulers

Most of those deals tend to keep the purchase price obscured to prevent other customers trying to replicate a good discount

I also suspect that Mercedes will chuck in some extras, like free maintenance, to sweeten the deal. An electric truck should require considerably less upkeep so they're unlikely to lose money and will relieve any concerns the customer may have about new technology

The point I'm making is that sometimes people see a deal like (just making up an example) DHL buying 100 electric trucks for €25 million

Some higher lever maths tells you that's €250k per truck, which is probably a lot for a truck. Again, just to emphasise, I pulled those numbers out of thin air

But when you dig into these deals you often see it includes things like driver and maintenance training, servicing costs over a number of years and perhaps installation of chargers at a bunch of locations

Plus maybe a power purchase agreement with a Mercedes partner charging network

Those are all considerable costs by themselves and make figuring out the true cost per unit very difficult

Anyway, that's just my words of warning before any details of large truck purchases start coming out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah I wonder if that'll have a knock on for driver health. Driving a truck is well know for being a very bad job for physical and mental health.

Long hours, the need for constant concentration and sometimes living worse than a homeless person all combine to some pretty bad health outcomes

It's part of the reason that not many younger people are taking it up as a profession, the money just isn't worth the hassle

Driving a much quieter and smoother truck might take some of the stress out and improve driver health

Hopefully the EU's new rules around charging networks might also have some guidelines for rest stops added on. They could really do with including proper lounge facilities for truck drivers to relax. Shower and changing rooms and maybe some exercise machines to combat the otherwise sedentary lifestyle would also be good

• Advertisement

That Jay Leno video posted the other day on the Tesla truck really highlighted that for me just how effortless it was for the driver.

Post edited by wassie on

Back on the insurance situation in the UK, thought this video was an interesting chat on the topic

Seems insurers have lost a lot of money there over the past year and are trying to recoup it

There's a lot of people in the comments talking about how all of there insurance has gone up by 30-40%. Doesn't seem EV related, it's a general increase across the board

Hopefully it doesn't spread here. I did a quick quote there for my ID.4 and it's within €15 of when I renewed in January, so the situation seems stable for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Unlike other campers (or caravans) that rely on diesel heating and gas for cooking, the Mink-E is powered by electricity, which can be charged through its EV charging socket.

That means that if you own an EV with vehicle-to-load capacity, like the current Kia EV6, you can effectively run the entire Mink-E set-up completely off-grid, for as long as the camper and EV’s batteries hold out”

Slight correction to the article, the weight is 510kg, not grams

If they'd managed to pack all that into half a kilogramme then those lads are wasted on campervans, they should be working for SpaceX 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

510g for GBP30k

That's more expensive than pure gold 😁

• Advertisement

More expensive than pure heroin 😱

At least, I assume it is... 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not strictly EV related but Volvo installing massive casting presses

These new casting techniques seem to offer a lot of advantages in reducing complexity and weight, which should in turn benefit the consumer with lower prices (assuming cost savings are passed on). But I do wonder what happens when these elements are damaged in an accident and can they be repaired economically or does the car become a write off?

Reminds me of how over the last couple of decades passenger 4WD design migrated from a ladder chassis to monocoque design to relfect the fact the majority of these cars never (or very rarely) went off the blacktop.

Big improvements in on-road handling and weight and hence fuel economy, but if you actually did use them in the rough stuff off road, they often suffered stress related damage and much more difficult (and costly) to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

For any of you that's interested, 2 minutes is the time for closing, squirting aluminium in under pressure, aluminium hardening and the opening and removal of the 500c casting, and repeat, every 2 minutes.

The 8400 ton pressure is to keep the thing closed and to stop aluminium leaking out, enough force to stick to the roof in that picture, what does not stick falls down on you, its ok its just hot, not hot liquid.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Based on this video by Sandy Munro, the castings are less repairable but they are also much harder to damage. It's like any process there will always be a trade off between repairability and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It was a good demo by Mr. Munro who went in the full rant mode as non-material-scientist folk were implying that the cast components would have less strength than the welded steel structures that they replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I love how Sandy, having gone to the trouble of putting on a full face visor, forgets to lower it half the time.

Yeah it's not an area I'm an expert in, but the fact that Geely are doing it via the Volvo brand gives me a high level of confidence, Volvo of all brands has the most to lose when it comes to a safety reputation.

• Advertisement

Bjorn versus The Sun (the rag newspaper, not the fiery orb in the sky)

TLDR, the sun spliced footage from two of his videos and misrepresented a load of quotes to make it seem like the car ran out unintentionally

Unsurprisingly, the whole thing is BS

Bjorn pointed out that they didn't link to his channel at all so there's no easy way for any readers to confirm anything, and he also doesn't make any money because they chopped footage from his videos and hosted them on their site instead of linking to the originals

So his strategy now is to make some money by trolling the sun, pretty funny response IMO

I think most sane people realise the sun is an absolute garbage paper which invents 99% of their "articles". Pretty much everything on the site now is just reposting YouTube or Tiktok videos and some idiot contract reporter talking nonsense about it (probably for the equivalent of £1 per article)

Unfortunately there's a strong cohort of people who believe the garbage and regurgitate this BS to others. Bit like how there's often posters drifting in here saying they read some article about how EVs are bad. Or maybe Mike down the pub told them about how he was reading up on this stuff, and since Mike can barely read it must have been serious

Moral of the story, don't believe Mike and the sun is a rag. If you're visiting the sun website, ideally don't, but if you do then use an adblocker so they don't make any money from you 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ah now, it has some uses.

For example, it's handy if you've run out of toilet paper 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Really makes me wonder, in NI. There is another pillar in a spot with no disabled. 50% of the charging spots are disabled only. They could have made the other spaces disabled size but unmarked or marked charging only and disabled people could park there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

If you really needed a top up to get you to your destination and found these 2 spaces empty as they will inevitably be the majority of the time what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Park in them to charge, stay with the car and move as soon as I could/space was needed if the second space was in use.

Seems like a good argument for having an extra long charging cable

I'm not against disabled charging bays, particularly for AC, but if there isn't enough chargers for the other bays then it just leads to abuse

Also, what happens when two petrol cars with blue badges park there? It doesn't say charging only and if there's no other disabled bays then there's not much alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

You could go further and say that designating 2 charging spaces as disabled only, where there is little or no alternative for non disabled drivers, is an abuse of non disabled ev drivers.

• Advertisement

More truck news

Interesting tidbit, mercedes mentioned the truck is 2.5 times the price of the diesel equivalent (without mentioning that price)

Ouch!

Still, they're confident that the trucks will achieve cost parity within 5 years or 600,000km depending on factors like diesel and electricity prices

I think it's pretty obvious then that the only buyers in the short term will be large fleet operators. The issue is that they'll likely buy a few electric trucks and supplement them with diesels in the near term, unless they're going to increase their budget for new equipment by 250%

Advertisement