Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Paris for Rwc games

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

there was a bit of confusion from the lady in the booth as she didn't really understand what I wanted, thinking I wanted a discounted 10 pack of tickets which they don't sell anymore... so I just explained clearly that I wanted 16 single tickets to be able to use over Saturday and Sunday... and we got there in the end.

Maybe she couldn't figure out why three people were buying sixteen metro tickets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, as when I tried my best French of Dix-six for 16, she wasnt quite getting me.... but then when I said it was for multiple trips today, later today, and also tomorrow, she then understood, and gave me 16 single fare tickets... Still have 1 unused ticket left in my wallet which I'll use again next weekend...

Flying into CDG on Saturday morning so will need a RER ticket for that!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was just wondering why you weren't getting a multiple of 3!

(also 16 is seize 😉)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Id advise just getting a single mobilis ticket that does zone 1 and 2, did us fine for saturday and we used it a fair bit. You will need to pay for zone 3 if you are going to the Saint Denis stop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jayno66

Can anyone tell me what street(s) or side of the Stade De France have the best bars to head to for drinks before the match? Understand I'll be paying a premium, but want to soak up the best atmosphere before the match on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Has anyone used the navigo tickets mobile app for buying metro tickets in advance. I believe it allows you to use your phone at the gates as your metro ticket? Does it work well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

You really can't go too far wrong from any side but if you come in on the 13 metro and follow the crowds around to the left of the stadium there are loads of bars and stalls selling pints. Was there pre SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Anyone used the private transfer service from Beauvais. Taxymatch?

Due to arrive at 16:55 on Saturday so not much room for delays. Considering this instead of the bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr chips 55

Has anyone bought one of the match programmes that they offer for sale at this World Cup? How are the contents? Is it very specific to that match, or is it a generic tournament programme with just a little bit of detail extra of that game (this sometimes happens previously)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I found it to be unreliable. Wouldn't use it again. It let me down on a number of occasions which was stressful when you're on one side of the barrier and your 9ur old on the other.

Neither my own phone nor the old phone I used for my son's ticket worked when trying to get through the gates in Saint Denis after the game. As someone else pointed out, I was genuinely surprised that they didn't just token the gates and let people through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quick tip for anyone getting the metro back into town after a game in the Stade de France (St Denis).

Don't go into the metro station nearby, it'll be mobbed. Walk past it - the two games we went to there, we walked back to the Basilique de Saint-Denis metro station (the one you get off at for the fanzone) and got the metro back from there. We got seats on the metro back each time, it was dead. The next stop is the one that is mobbed but for a five-ten minute walk, you've a much better trip back into town and don't have to deal with the crowds and queues at the first station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

How was the vibe going that way? Everything I've heard is to avoid walking through St Denis, safety in numbers and all.

We're travelling Friday through Frankfurt. I've an Android but herself is iPhone so I think the mobile app for metro tickets is out for us. Buying a bunch of singles on Friday will probably be the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have to say I have used both RER and metro after the last to matches and had no delay nor discomfort on either, apart from metro staff telling us that it stopped in Gard de Nord, which it didn’t. But overall, the crowding wasn’t uncomfortable, the trains are regular, so personally I’d want the closest station to the ground and be on a train out as soon as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, on Saturday night from time entering the ST Denis metro to actually getting on a train couldn’t have been more than 5 minutes tops…

as I mentioned in my long winded post yesterday, it was very well managed by police and metro staff.

Bear in mind too that rain is forecast for this Saturday night…. So the closest ‘shelter’ will be the best option in my opinion….

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭murtyd17

Current forecast has it raining through to about 4 or 5 on Saturday evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm arriving into CDG on Saturday at about 10:30. Booked a hotel 1 stop away (Parc Des Expositions) from the airport on RER line B, so need to get there, hopefully have a snooze if my room is ready, and then go from there into town. Then out to St Denis for the match, and from St Denis to the hotel on RER B after the game. On the Sunday morning I'll need to get from the hotel to the airport for about 5:30 (7:15 flight).

1. CDG to Parc Des Expositions (RER B)
    2. Parc Des Expositions to city centre (RER B?)
    3. City centre to Stadium (metro?)
    4. Stadium to Parc Des Expositions (RER B)
    5. Parc Des Expositions to CDG (RER B)

Is there a ticket I can get to cover me for all that, for about 20 hours? I just downloaded that app that was mentioned above, but it's not the most intuitive (maybe it will make more sense when I'm over there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Citymapper app works well in Paris for planning your journeys.

Good advice above about using the Basilique de Saint-Denis metro station after the match too, means you're on the train before the crowd. And you can grab a 5 quid pint in Au Pavillon en route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If you don't want to use the app you can buy a physical Mobilis day pass ticket at any station, you will need one that does all 5 zones to get to and from CDG, it costs 20 euro.

You will still need to buy a single ticket the next morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Would that work to go CDG- centre-SDF-CDG all in Saturday? Ideally looking for the best way to get like a single day pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I bought them for the Romania and scot matches, they are decent size of a programme, mostly interviews, ads, some bits about the tournament, teams usual stuff etc. they are 15 quid each also,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I fly home Monday evening ,,reading about the delays in Beauvais I'll head there early on Monday .

Is there a bar or 2 in the airport and somewhere to get food ?

I've read it's tiny with very little in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

My best beverage tip for anyone interested.

Pick up 4 cold cans leaving the city.

Drink No 1 on the train / metro

Drink No 2 walking to the stadium from station.

Just when you meet the first security line you open No 3 & 4 which you are allowed to bring into concourse and you'll have the length of time it takes to drink them two soaking up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I was there a few years back and I think there was one small enough place open for food, perhaps this has changed,

you might be better off getting a bite before leaving paris,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks a mill. Sounds ideal. I'll just Uber it in the morning I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To each their own. Personally, I'd take the seat.

The crowding on the way to the stadium (two to three hours early) was uncomfortable - first one I had someones bag in my face and the second one I had someone basically spooning me standing upright. People jammed against each other. I was sitting fo the return leg, but people were jammed against each other on those too. It's a 20-30 minute trip back if you're central, so comfort was nice.

Advertisement