Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Were DC ever not in this kinda "superhero fati" state?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very true, though the Synderverse did make money, just IIRC Batman v Superman didn't make all the money and so the wheels started flying off.

I think the MCU on TV has soured the brand and Secret Invasion really seemed to cause a lot of people to nope out.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

James Gunn is either playing with the truth or just plain lying

He has stated on a few occasions Gal Gadot has a future in the DCU, however it looks like all the Justice League actors are to be recast now. Gal Gadot is the latest to apparently to be axed (see below article). The rumour of Jason Momoa playing Lobo has also been revived again, so, is Gunn lying or is Gadot coming back as another character in the DCU similar to Momoa, which, if true, will be very confusing for the general audience trying to follow the future storylines.

There’s also a revival in the rumour that Warner Bros. Picture could be sold to Universal in the near future (2 years). Which I think, would be the best outcome for DC Studios, if Christopher Nolan could be part of the decision making process for DC movies, the future would be bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Was actually pretty good fun in the cinema which I haven't said about DC film in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I heard good things and plan on watching.

But as was said before, it had a lot going against it which is why there's no real surprise in its performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've heard it was grand and one of the better DC movies but I dunno; watching it just would feel like total redundancy.

Can't remember if they referenced any Snyderverse plots or anything. It's one character/actor which could easily be taken across

• Registered Users Posts: 31,697 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, just watch it cause it's a decent movie. It's got nothing to do with any previous DC movies anyway, it's a total standalone story that stands on its own two feet as a good movie worth seeing. It's also good to know the actor will be back playing that character in future, as it's a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Ok I just discovered this thread .... superhero movies tend to be either one extreme or the other ... very good or very bad !! The recent decades' proliferation of superhero movies ... often focusing on weak ones ... has caused a lot of the very bad ...

For starters I will say I always liked Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Spiderman ... films like Superman I & II, Batman 1989, Batman Returns, all the Dark Knight films, all the Iron Man films, and at least 3 of the Spiderman films are excellent imv ... I used to think the worst Superman .. Quest for peace .. and Batman ... and Robin ... films were bad enough but they are not nearly as terrible as the stuff made with the lesser characters from the comics ... esp the DC ... the Marvel universe seems to be better as a whole but DC should have strictly stuck to Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman!! ...

I had the misfortune to see Shazam! and it was too silly ... a poor man's Superman spoof is what it comes across as with Superman replaced by a silly kid who can turn into a superhero .... then there was the Green Lantern an even less interesting superhero ... those Justice League films would have been grand if it was BM, SM and WW but no, they had to bring in those other ones into it and they ruined it ... I did not watch The Flash at all but would suspect it is more of the Shazam! type stuff ?? ...

On the other hand The Batman was brilliant ... up there among the best of the Batman films ... it also was a message about what DC should be doing ... DC have an identity crisis at present .... perhaps trying to copy Marvel but without the broad range of characters ... for me anyhow DC's Shazam! or the Green Lantern defo do not deserve a film of their own as they are poor to begin with ... not a patch on Superman or Batman ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I have to disagree with you on that. The quality of any given project has a lot of factors, chiefly the strength of the writing. DC has a huge stable of intiresting characters. The likes of Green Arrow, Doom Patrol, Black Lightening and Peacemaker have been sucessful on the small screen while Shazam! released to rave reviews. Hell, by far their most sucessful film was Aquaman, let that sink in. Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman have has as many bad films as good. Why would you limit yourself to such a narrow choice going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I agree with the strength of writing plus I would add the production and director ... I agree there are prob a lot of interesting DC characters but the films made with some of them were poor and others have not got a film .... I believe you are right that there are bad and very bad Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman films ... and some overrated ones ... Let's just take Superman as an example ....

Superman and Superman II were excellent in my view .... best watched though as a part 1 and part 2 of the same story or as one film broken into 2 ... the first a great origin story and the second a great action superhero flick with Superman doing what he does best ...

Superman III is my least favourite of all Superman films ... revisited it recently and thought it was v silly and comedic ... a lot of it was dated esp this computer gamey stuff in it !!

Superman IV the Quest for Peace is the one that usually gets slaughtered but it is better than III imv ... the main fault though is it is way too short at 80 something minutes ... but for a Golan Globus film it is not too bad ... they didn't manage to have Chuck Norris in it at the very least !!! The other main fault is the incomplete storylines ... like what happened Clark Kent and Lacy ??

Superman Returns is underrated ... it is better than III and IV and more akin to I and II ... in fact it is a sequel to I and II .... sadly there weren't more to follow it up ...

Man of Steel was good ... and should have given rise to a trilogy of Superman films akin to The Dark Knight Batman films ... sadly that was not to be and we had 2 messy films combining Superman with Batman, Wonder Woman and others ...

Both Batman v Superman and Justice League had some good scenes but descended into a certain silliness at least for me ... Superman has also appeared briefly in The Flash too ... but a straightforward set of Superman films are long overdue ...

Getting away from the better of the Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman productions Aquaman was one of the better efforts ... I preferred it a lot to Shazam! and the like ... Aquaman had a rather interesting backstory for the character and was more engaging than either Shazam or the Green Lantern for me ... perhaps Shazam the GL could have been done better and I'd have enjoyed it more ... they felt off for some reason though maybe Shazam is more a film strictly for kids?? .. I know Shazam! had rave reviews but the sequel didn't ...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There has been a small push for Netflix to buy the Snyderverse and continue it.

I wonder how big it will get now that Netflix will have alot of the Snyderverse in December

Pity it's the 2017 Justice League and not the Snyder Cut

I see Disney is going to buy Hulu for $8.6bn from Comcast. Now this could be interesting news, because Comcast owns Universal Studios and maybe there's more to this rumour about Universal Studios in talks to buy Warner Bros. Picture & DC Studios by the end of 2024. This $8.6bn could be part of this deal, here's hoping anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Once touted for the Supes role (and Batman IIRC), he's now going to be Lex.

I like that casting, I know he can do goofy but could easily see him playing it somewhat seriously. Amazing how unmemorable Eisenberg's stint as Luthor is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Good choice. There was talk of him being considered for either Superman or Lex, and I really hoped it'd be Lex. Not that he couldn't pack on a bit of bulk and be a great Superman, but I think he could be a fantastic younger Lex.

Eisenberg could have been a decent enough Lex but they went the completely wrong direction with the character (partly to do with the story, but also just really badly written). There were flashes of a great Lex Luthor in his performance, but they could never break through the nonsense he had to do and say. I think Hoult could do a really great job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I do love Hoult (he's great in The Great!), but feel like they could have cast a bit older here? Him and the new Supes are practically the same age.

• Advertisement

Was similar in Smallville which was probably the best part of that show. You could play with a rivalry/friendship thing. Plus Lex was often dating Lois so being close in age makes sense.

It's not bad casting but until I see a single shot of footage, I'm kinda done with DC; it's a formless vessel ATM and 'til I see proof Gunn has pulled some shape outta the chaos I'll keep expectations and ethusiasm well in check.

I'm also a bit apprehensive of if Gunn is able to adjust to the source material. Superman is a very different kind of movie to Suicide Squad or Guardians. Although I think he could have great fun with the Clark Kent side in that sense, be it the journalism or the hiding of his identity.

In relation to the latter, Nolan's Batman feels like the last real balancing of that secret identity in any superhero films. Even Spider-Man lost it effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't this Superman film meant to have loads of heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Yeah gunn appears to be establishing his own DCU early enough with more minor heroes to fill spots in this movie. I'm more in favour of sticking to metropolis for the movie

I've heard same; maybe that's his side door into a Suicide Squad situation where he can fill his films with C List heroes to act as cannon fodder for the Big Bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,525 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hoult is a good choice as Lex, excellent actor especially since About a Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘Superman: Legacy’ Adds Skyler Gisondo as Jimmy Olsen and Sara Sampaio as Eve Teschmacher

• Registered Users Posts: 86,525 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope it hasn't

Superman should be about him, Lois and Lex mainly imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Fantastic casting there for Jimmy. Bit disappointed they went with Teschmacher instead of someone like Mercy from the animated series. I know she was created specifically for the show, but thought she was a great addition to the Superman universe as Lex's heavy/aide.

Advertisement