Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They will only realise that the panel format does not work if they see a decrease in audience numbers, if they see an increase then the will continue with it.

I think it is the middle part that is the issue. The "one for all in the audience" and the "competition" are far too close together. IMO.

I feel both are tacked on by RTÉ more than by anything else.

I am sure things changed with the country music show so I won't review full, but I will take a look a next weeks show.

But honestly, I don't think new ideas are a bad thing. And I wouldn't really take much notice of people involved in The Toy Show the Musical. My major issue is where in TV does an executive go? It's not like RTÉ have many shows and they won't have many shows in the future. Maybe she has a podcast called "Nothing do to with the Toy Show the Musical".

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think audience numbers will be key. If there's a significant fall off, it will give them pause for thought. Change is difficult but needs to happen if the series is going to survive. LLS is never going to be what it was in the past, tv had changed too much for that.

The country special was ok, no major change other than a host who knew what he was talking about and can sing. Would've liked to have seen some younger acts performing and being interviewed. Had heard most of the stories told many, many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I bypassed the Country show as I’ve no interest but appreciate it’s a crowd puller so yeah, seems to have been reasonably successful so that’s great- specials are fine but it’s the weekly show that needs the attention- we haven’t really seen what Kielty is capable of yet- it feels like he’s in a straight jacket, confined to just small talk, a few laughs and on to the next guest.

What I don’t know is, is this what Kielty wants or does he want something else?

Something better? To have a more deeper dive on topics or is this broad brush don’t offend or ask the difficult questions approach what TLLS will become defined as?

So is Kielty the puppet or the task master?

Well the audience was there according to the TAMIs. 432,000 adult viewers for Friday night on RTÉ ONE (RTÉ usually include all viewers along with +1 audience).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

he does the BBC show live from Belfast but also has the option to broadcast for the BBC from the RTE studios.

maybe he is using the option to broadcasts from the RTE studios otherwise he would be wrecked with all the commuting.

that’s probably what enabled him to be at DUB on Saturday between 1-2PM

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That was a “special” show so we’ll need to see what the next few ordinary non special show figures tell us- I’d say they’ll be around 360-380 max is my prediction - it doesn’t really matter who’s presenting these days, the message from RTÉ right now is clear- it’s our way or the highway- if you don’t like our format you can lump it - if this continues they’ll end up having lower figures than Tubridy .

What the whole LLS team need to do is appreciate what made TLLS great in the past but then modernise it for todays audience - I think they’re trying to do this but they need to listen to experienced staff who know the show well as well as innovate - innovation on its own won’t work- it will end up being just like any other chat show

I'd argue don't listen to anyone in RTÉ, they've been found out and they have been coasting along for too long.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I mean I am splitting hairs but : -

I think they’re trying to do this but they need to listen to experienced staff who know the show well as well as innovate

I just don't think any one in RTÉ has much to offer or much experience.

Quoting from the above article

sources said the RTÉ executive has clashed with staff who feel he does not consider ‘the opinion of the team who have worked on the show for years and who are very familiar with the beating heart of the Late Late’.

One source added: ‘They think he is wiping out the core of what has made the show what it has been.’

Beating heart of the show 🙄, if it is a real source I feel sorry for them that they think so highly of themselves.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

the panel of 3 at the start is silly - they need one guest to open and have a good conversation- if they then want to bring a panel then fine but currently it’s just too “light” - some guests are saying a lot, others very little - I assume all want max air time so it’s much better to start with a strong opening -

yes i would have to agree. The panel is not on for long enough for it to get interesting. Also Ireland is too small and the LLS is getting difficulty getting good guests anyway, why waste them all on a panel that doesn't last long enough. On the first show he had Tommy tiernan , Hector and then the 2 johnies , hector hardly said anything. So he has used up alot the comedians in the 1 show. Maube throw a few z list celebrities on together but don't waste good guests on a panel

I think the previous Tubridy version was terrible but in my view that was down to

1. Tubridy himself and
    2. The constant obsession with and expansion of the misery slot

A significant % of the problems of TLLS went when Tubridy left

Hes been replaced by a supposedly good interviewer- so great, give him a chance to interview because currently he’s not been given that chance. If you throw the baby out with the bath water, TLLS will look like just any other entrainment show - you need to keep its secret sauce - but right now I think it’s becoming standard fare- it could be just any show - and that will kill TLLS if it ends up looking and sounding like that

Yeah lack of quality guests will present a huge problem - and that’s even more of a reason why it needs to be TLLS- not The Patrick Kielty show - they’re styling it on American late night shows - they won’t have the “A listers” no less BC or D listers to sustain that - they need to do a U turn here and go down a different road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think there is a good chance TLLS is off the air in 5 years time. My elderly mother even said that it is time they got rid of it, and historically she wouldn't have missed it no matter what. She has complained about the guests, the awkward way the set is arranged, guests having to turn their heads, the spacing between the seats etc.

She's not happy! "Are they trying to be American or something?" said she. She hated Keilty's monologue on day one as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think she’s been extremely generous giving it 5 years- if your elderly mother has given up on it and if she’s anyways representative of a reasonable chunk of todays audience profile, which I’d hazard a guess she is, I think that pretty much says it all

I agree, but I don't think older staff in RTÉ would agree with you on RT, I think they think the misery slot is the secret to a good late late show.

I think we can all agree that TLLS won't ever return to its heyday. PK2 has an opportunity to bring some of that magic back. And I think many feel he missed his opportunity with Frampton and with the CMO. Hopefully if he can he will pull those punches when the opportunity arises.

I also think they need to mix it up, the format should not be so rigidly structured.

______

Yesterday

I’ve said before I’ll withhold judgement on PK for a few months to let him find his feet- but I hope he won’t get sidelined or indeed influenced by people who, so far, have shown they haven’t a clue about what TLLS is really about

I've watched the Late Late since 1984. I started to miss more episodes during Tubridy's latter years.

I'm very near giving up on it totally. It's not PK. Just take the country show, it wasn't bad, but I'm sick of Mike Denver, Philomena Begley, Carter, Cliodhna and that set. One or two interviews and you'd hear all you want to know. They've been on yearly since about 2016 singing the same songs etc.

Most of the other shows had the 2 Johnnies, Baz, Vogue etc they don't have anything interesting to say. The 'talent' pool is simply too shallow. Parkinson couldn't make entertainment from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I have to say I agree. There is plenty of young country music talent out there that LLS could book. Why not give them an opportunity to display their talent which would help promote the country music scene and give them that important break that might help them in their music career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

agree, but I don't think older staff in RTÉ would agree with you on RT, I think they think the misery slot is the secret to a good late late show.

Yes alot of the journos love the misery and political stuff too , that's why they going crazy with kielty because he is not satisfying them, they don't have anything to write about if there is no misery. They can't exactly write that they had a good laugh at the 2 johnies.

The older demographic like the misery too because it is probably more relevant to them than it is to a younger demographic but when they were young they liked gay Byrne not for misery but for entertainment. Kielty needs to keep going in that direction and ignore the begrudgers and the misery junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

why the hell does it have to be country music though?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Why not, I'd argue that it is Irish Country and Western Music which is a completely different genre to C&W.

I think that RTÉ could have got a big name American C&W person for the special but instead went and spend all their money on Donie.

I'd argue that Gay Byrne was doing healthy debates not the misery slot, I don't ever really remember Gay Byrne interviewing someone about a horrific death in the family, this misery slot came from Kenny Live.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

And was perfected by Turbidy for the LLTS. Could never watch it when they wheeled out the poor sick kids to fill the misery quota, threw a few bob at them to make people feel good about themselves while the audience gorged themselves with the multiple 'one for everyone' in the audience commercial PR. Horrible exploitative stuff IMO

I was trying to decide if your word “exploitative” was a bit OTT- considering TLLS has become a massive commercial enterprise as opposed to a significant public service broadcast, in that vein, I’d have to agree with you

The reason I mentioned country music is because we are discussing the country music special. I'm not saying it should only appy to the country music special only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was worse than that, they paid him not to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At that stage he should have been brought on for something different in the mix at least... the Two Johnnies could have easily been dropped in to a later episode.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I just finished watching Gay Byrnes Late Late Moments on the RTE Player and I have to say looking back on his guest list over the many years was a revelation. The whole format was just open to everyone without scripted dialogue. Gay was a master at opening the floor up not just to his guests but to the audience on the night. Anything went. When P.K took up the reigns I felt that was the beginning of the end for what was a National institution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement