Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was this posted? Judge Nolan's sentencing seems about right to me, but I'm wondering what anyone else thinks.

A teenager who stole 24 bicycles from apartment blocks in Dublin 4 has been sentenced to three years in prison, with the final 16 months suspended.

Judge Martin Nolan said it was a considerable number of thefts and that if O’Farrell had been older, he would have received a considerably longer sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You think the road hasn't changed in 100yrs ? That if it worked for a 1923 car its ok for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Depends of the context. In the context of efficency/throughput and safety for anyone outside a car this road is absolutely lacking in 2023.

In terms of safety, if a 1923 car was able to navigate it safely, then it should be a doddle to a 2023 car with its wide tyres, anti lock brakes, etc advanced suspension etc and host of advanced safety features.

Or to put it another way, The only problem i've ever had on this "bad bend" was with meeting drivers coming the other direction through the bend with their wheels way over the center line on my side of the road. I've driven through it hundreds of times and I've never had the slightest issue navigating it safely, or with keeping my vehicle correctly on my side of the road.

Being the perfect driver should we assume you've never had points or a driving fine.

They redesign roads, to improve their safety. Which suggests not all roads are perfection.

They also do it for race tracks where they become out dated for modern vehicles and modern racing drivers.

It's also not unheard of for a road or bend to be fine in summer conditions and not in others. Years ago bad bends and dangerous roads were frequently signposted. Signs for Black Ice etc. Far rarer to see these today.

I'm not dismissing driver error. But dangerous sections of roads are not the impossibility You're inferring.

In the same way painted lines, tramlines, manholes, wet leaves, and ice or poorly designed cycle lanes are particular cycling hazards.

Thanks, though you seem to be determined to argue against a point I'm not making.

I'm not talking about all roads, I'm talking about a specific road that is local to me and which I know very, very well. Its a completely boring road with a completely boring bend. Doesnt flood, doesn't ice over, doesnt get covered in leaves. Nothing like that.

And speaking of boring, I'm far from a perfect driver, but I do try to stick to the speed limit.You could say that makes me a boring driver. While sticking to the speed limit I often get overtaken on this very road by other drivers that seem to find my adherence to the law quite boring. I wonder if that has any relevance to the problem of certain drivers finding it challenging to navigate this quite boring bend without crashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it was the middle of winter and someone hit a patch of road that was untreated/had some unthawed ice due to being in the shade of a tree or whatever, I'd have some sympathy. I actually had a car written off in a similar manner a few years ago. Van coming against me hit black ice and ended up on my side of the road. Luckily both of us were driving slowly enough that no-one in either vehicle was injured. The write off was mainly because my car was so old, it wasn't worth much.

But Jesus, attributing a car ending up on its roof to a bit of rain in mid-high teens temperatures? (As per that Garda tweet). Farcical stuff. Maybe it's be because I'm a lot more multimodal in my transport habits these days and have less tolerance for driver entitlement but it did feel like pre-2010 you couldn't get away with **** on the road without being caught by a Garda. Whereas nowadays it feels anecdotally to me like it's a free for all out there.

We've moved to SUVs which are inherently more likely to roll over due to a high center of gravity. They have an excess of power and often on dubious tyres. People are over confident, they get complacent about roads they know well. Lack of enforcement is a factor.

But if there lots of accidents in the same spot, there's obviously something about that location that a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Road engineering is mitigating poor driving. I'm not saying there isn't and wasn't accident black spots. However, it still ultimately comes down to driver behaviour - inappropriate speed/ not driving at the speed you can safely stop in the distance you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Factors? I'd say from personal observation that speeding and phone use are the real factors. But lets point to a bend in the road that every competent driver can navigate safely instead, because we'd hate to have to accept that it's not the roads - or the cars - it's us the drivers that are the issue.

I'm sure there's a clinical term that psychologists use to describe the deflection seen in arguments like "it was a dangerous bend that caused it", or "but he wasn't wearing hi viz" rather than objectively judging the situation. Whatever it is, it's chronic among motorists.

It might seem like needless belligerence against motorists, but unfortunately simply giving in to this mentality of "I'm never in the wrong - some other drivers may sometimes be in the wrong, but mostly its the roads, conditions and other non-motorists getting in the way who are in the wrong" only adds fuel to the very fire that we're pretending we want to extinguish - namely road traffic accidents involving motorists.

In a recent a discussion about Hi Viz, there was a noticeable number of single cyclist accidents in the stats. I guess by your logic we should assume they were all on their mobiles. We should also assume there no issue with poorly designed cycle lanes, it's just the cyclists.

If look at studies of Black Spots, often fixing the black spot just moves the issues further up the road. You can change the design of a road to slow cars down, or to get their attention, rumble strips etc. Speed cameras on a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think they have an excess of power, certainly most of what people class as SUVs in this country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I've no idea what hi viz discussion you're referring to - it's certainly not what's being discussed here. Trying to bring it into the discussion is just a case of whataboutery - it should be possible to debate each issue on its own merits. And what's at issue here seems to me a case of poor driver behaviour being excused by reference to road design.

We both probably agree that in an ideal world we'd drive on ideal roads and cycle on ideal bike infrastructure. But the fact that we don't can't be used to brush the actual cause of most car crashes under the carpet. I appreciate that you're arguing the point in good faith and possible from a devil's advocate position, but unfortunately as that line of argument becomes more prevalent, pushed by various lobby group and spokespeople like Conor Faughnan, the more it become accepted as correct/ fact and the further away we get from meaningfully addressing the real cause of most crashes and near crashes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW my car has 110hp and i've never found it lacking; it's approx 1,350kg so is not heavy at all by modern standards. 2012 octavia, 1.2 Tsi (or is it a 1.1? i can never remember)

the previous one was a 2007 octavia, 1.4l petrol - 80HP IIRC, and i definitely did find that lacking at times, going uphill even when the car wasn't heavily loaded. i've driven up steeper hills in the current one, with five adults in the car and it did absolutely fine.

Oh I'm not saying they're lacking in adequate power, like most cars these days, but there can be a perception that what people class is an SUV they're also the stereotypical overpowered 'gas guzzlers'.

FWIW my wife has a genuinely powerful rear wheel drive car, and I'm not a fan of driving it around on wet roads for two reasons, I'm not used to it and don't want to step the arse out and look like a boy racer, and if I do step it out and damage it, well I won't be going home to tell her.

Of course you can crash an underpowered car. However modern cars have the power, great brakes, and driver aids to allow people to carry higher speeds on marginal roads. In the past the limits of the brakes or the car handling would force a driver to drive slower. Combine this with a modern car greater weight, with a SUV high center of gravity and your creating a high speed pendulum. In context of cars flipping it doesn't take that much to flip a car, some cars are far worse than other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIN8CyhYREM&t=327s&ab_channel=OVERDRIVE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Exactly.

And recognising that is not being dismissive of speeding or poor driving habits.

That's a dense enough traffic situation in a built up area where a calm driving is required for everyones safety. Yet, just before it hits the collision the range rover is accelerating hard. Why ?

I would say if anything that clip demonstrates how needless crashes are caused by poor driving habits that are built upon the false sense of invincibility promoted by modern car safety features + modern car marketing

So you think they hit the other car because they felt they were invincible. Not because of the design of the vehicle. It their habit to hit vehicles like this. Ok.

They were probably mostly watching their mirror to get ahead of any traffic coming from their right onto the roundabout and put the boot down to get ahead.

• Advertisement

Eh, no, I didnt say any of that. Nobody has it as their habit to hit other vehicles, that would be just silly.

But research clearly shows that the safer people feel in any given situation the more inclined they are to take risks, and when people take more risks they have more collisions. Risk compensation is a very well documented facet of human behavior.

My point is that its exacerbated firstly by cars being more and more loaded with safety systems designed to keep the occupants safe regardless of how much of an idiot is behind the wheel, and secondly by car marketing that emphasises aggression and how people will "dominate" the roads with their new car.

But at the end of the day driver behavior is still a factor in many cases. In the case of his video, I would argue that the situation was certainly made worse by the drivers behavior (at a lower speed for example the RR might possibly just have rode up on 2 wheels and bounced back down )

And look, to your earlier point I'm not dismissing making roads inherently safer at all, but you have to do it the right way. If your follow the american approach for example, which seems to be give them more space, bigger barriers etc, people just seem to risk compensate by driving ever more ridiculously to the point where you have cars going airborrne through the walls of buildings.

I think its amazing for example that the dutch when an incident happens close the road and do a detailed analysis of the factors that contributed to teh situation. I think thats a great approach, and if part of the conclusions formed are the road was too wide / encouraged too much speed etc etc, and needs to be redesigned for a slower speed, i'm on board 100% with that. I'm just not comfortable with the default position pushed by many here including the gardai, of blaming the road conditions and asking no hard questions of the driver.

What you're reading is on the scene comments. The investigation report comes out later and is rarely seen in media. As by then people aren't interested.

The driver simply mis judged the space. It was at relatively low speed. Driver error no argument.

Theres also an argument that the roundabout is too small for the number of lanes and the volume of traffic. Thus drivers are trying to fight their way across it. If you made it signal controlled and reduced the lanes there might be less conflict.

Id also lay strong odds that they were going to go around the queue and skip/barge in at the front.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

People never do that, how dare you, I certainly never see it every time I come off the M50.

Quite possibly, almost be like they believed and had internalised hype they had heard somewhere that their car would allow them to dominate the road 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What would be really interesting in this case is to know how he sold them.

Did they go on adverts? Was there a local bike shop?

Would love to see an garda following up on this element of it.

Also, would be interesting to know how they landed on '24 bikes' - he clearly wasnt caught in the act stealing any of these. So it must have been in the selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Opinion piece in Cork's Evening Echo about "bully-boys and bully-girls" cycling of footpaths around Cork. One of the worst pieces of drivel I've read in quite a while, with this probably being the highlight:

Another friend who lives in Bishopstown said a young cyclist rode up beside an elderly woman hobbling along on a stick - snatched her stick and threw it away.

Yet another case of "I saw someone on bike do something bad (which had nothing to do with cycling) so all cyclists must be bad".

The solution - No Cycling pavement signs everywhere. You couldn't make it up.

And to finish, with a staggering lack of self-awareness or irony, the so-called journalist also complains about motorists "screaming through the villages and up and down the network of approach roads at all hours of the day and night" with ZERO connection as to maybe that might be why one would choose to be a cyclist on the pavement for personal safety reasons.

I honestly despair sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That author has a track record of similar clickbait articles iirc.

Advertisement