Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creche fees. How much are you paying?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zinoviev

The prices mentioned here for Child Care are absolutely horrific. I do not know how Irish families function. Married to a German and living here we have one Child. He is 1 year old and in Kindergarten 08:00- 16:00 Monday to Friday. It costs 160€ per month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lol! €160 PM!

How is the price so low? Is it the government that provides the crèche and crèche staff or do the government pay private companies so prices are kept low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

The rates are similar in Finland or Sweden. The costs here are staggering really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

My one year old got a high temperature last Friday afternoon but it was the final week where we had to fulfill the hours for NCS so I had to leave her in there for an extra 40 minutes or the funding would have been reduced. I was literally sitting outside counting down the minutes while she was teething inside. I'm still very annoyed about it. It shouldn't be like this.

What way is the service paid for in these countries though?

The parents pay €160 PM but does the government pay the rest? Are the costs to run crèches lower in these countries, ie lower insurance, lower wages, lower electricity, lower food costs etc?

Is the rate of tax higher in these countries and that tax then pays for these crèche services?

Of course the government pays the rest. Tax is a bit higher but not that much higher.

How much higher is tax?

For example could we raise tax by 1% and cover the cost of this- or is it that wages, insurance, electricity are just extortionate in this country?

I dunno. You can google this stuff as well as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The government here has started paying some of the fees as most know, they also pay a monthly fee that is reasonably big but they have to jump through a lot of hoops and agree to things that they may not like. Not everyone has signed up to that. There is talk of providers doing a 3 day work stoppage in the near future, they are really not happy with the way things are going, the admin is becoming obscene and pointlessly complicated.

Yeah so I’ve heard alright.

I mean the whole thing seems a bit half hearted from the government- just come out and say tax is going up by 1.5 % to cover the cost of crèche fees for parents- but at the same time ensuring crèche fees don’t go up to absorb the government money.

So I suppose a guaranteed maximum amount to be paid for parents.

There’d be enough working parents in the country to ensure this is a vote winner.

• Advertisement

Folks does anyone know if this 25% cut in childcare costs (supposedly in the budget) will translate over to private childcare crèches (which I imagine is the majority of crèches in Ireland?)

Also has anyone got a list to public crèches in Ireland for toddlers- 18 months old?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

There are no public creches in Ireland. All creches are either private or community/not-for profit. Any cut in childcare costs (I'd imagine it will be through the NCS if it happens) would apply to all creches whether they are private or community.

Ah ok that makes sense.

It was just the way it was worded on the 9 news last night that had me scratching my head a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm in the Netherlands. We do two days a week at the moment, and it's around €550 a month after the government subsidy. It would be around a thousand a month without the subsidy. Lower earners get a higher subsidy, but I don't think it would ever get close to as low as what you have in Germany.

It's very hard to even get a place in daycares in the bigger cities here. We had our names down at probably 10+ daycares nearby from the time we found out we were expecting, and were thankful to get a spot in one around a month before the due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Papav3r

Looks like the next 25% cut won't be in place until September 2024.

Not sure why this can't be instant. They made all the changes required last year to handle the extra payments coming through the NCS. So the fact they're waiting until 2024 is piss take. It's practically budget 2025 at that stage.

Advertisement