Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭paulbok

I wonder if this is the start of suppliers rowing back on fit payments now everyone will soon be on smart metres and no deemed payments to fork out?

If they do, I'll definitely be expanding my storage. A DIY job or even adding a second off the shelf battery. It'll take a long time to get a ROI on an off the shelf one, but as my initial install is now looking at 4 years for full payback compared to the initial 8-9 it is somewhat acceptable. Though getting up to 12-15kWh on DIY would be appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

My consumption is around 13 per day. So if solar produced nothing one day, that's the max I need from battery storage.

Thankfully, I have 20kWh of DIY storage, so I can easily get through every day without needing any daytime units, and therefore the Pinergy 5c deal was a no-brainer.

But it would still be worth it even if I needed to buy a few 47c kWh's each day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It should track the general wholesale price. So as that starts to go down, micro gen will come down.

If we get back to 14c day rate, microgen will be low too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭paulbok

Can't see it ever getting back to that rate, I doubt it'll even drop below 28c a unit.

In an ideal world, the regulator's would set it at a % of the day rate suppliers charge, e.g 75% but they are too spineless to regulate like that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Am I correct that there isn’t a way on smart meter to see actual live power consumption??

a miss if there isn’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Correct and yes I've said it before too, a real miss. Would have been a nice feature, even a help for people to cut down usage (I know you can easily and cheaply install a meter like an owl yourself, but for a lot of people that is one step too far)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

In-home displays (IHDs) are planned for the next phase of the smart meter roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Very surprised to hear that. I had assumed that was one of the smart meter features.

Went YOLO on the the 30 odd euro thing that plugs into the P1 port, was meant to have the SM install on Thursday but never turned up...

I'll see if that port is activated already or not.

If not, I'll just have to wait for the display rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

RM108 was installed three days ago and no sign of usage information in the ESBN portal. The "Submit a meter reading" page also shows the old D/N meter number.

Since KN did the install, I'm wondering if it takes a while for everything to switch over?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,900 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They do it after VAT though, meaning it's actually 22c

Well unless your vat registered, you get to keep it.

But we shall see what the rest do in response to the flogas drop

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

Is a change to the supplier FIT rate a reason to avoid an exit charge?

Currently there is no way to separate import and export, but has it been included in the standard T&C's that the FIT is variable?

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Doubt it unfortunately.

The minimum FIT is zero, and can be changed whenever they want. As prices come down FIT will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

Fair enough. I would definitely try it on. If you have a battery a big chunk of the supplier decision is the differential between cheap rate (EV, night, whatever) and the FIT.

Never say no to yourself.. 😉

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

gotta say it's very satisfying to see the data already on my ESBN account, I was surprised to see it so soon, I thought there was a ~month to check the signal reliability etc.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

No. The energia bill adds on VAT and then after that deducts fit credit

The other add vat after deducting the fit credit, meaning that the fit credit is applied before rather than after vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The saga continues...

And from ESB...

It doesnt matter if its put in before the vat is calculated (and its in as ex.VAT) or after if it includes vat. The sum is the same at the end.

So you need to compare all fit rates including VAT or all excluding vat.

Flogas rate was 22c +vat (or 23.98 inc vat, everyone rounded to 24), Energia's was 18c inc vat, now its 24 inc vat

Unfortunately Flogas is going to  €0.185 per kWh (exc. VAT), €0.202 per kWh (inc. VAT )

My workings: Its the same if the fit is calculated before or after vat. (and if your +vat total is negative, the VAT will also be negative, Putting you more in credit.)

• Advertisement

That is exactly what I'm getting at. Energia communicate the before vat rate and flogas had been communicating the after vat rate. Must compare apples with apples

Have I got my wires crossed somewhere?

Energia's rate is currently the same as flogas, but will be higher after the start of november. [lets stick with inc vat] Flogas 20.2 vs energia 24.

for some reason I thought you were saying that flogas new rate was much better than energia currently.

No there's no denying that the energia rate after the recent change increase by energia and decrease by flogas is better, I'm not sure I said that. The only thing I mentioned was the difference in quoting pre/post VAT FIT rates as each supplier treats them differently. I was with energia when they had 18c FIT - but that was incl vat, and moved to flogas when they had 24c excl vat.

Also, SM was installed today, Also tided up some holes in the meter box too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They replaced my meter door as it had a crack on it and while chatting with him they said they are finding lots of issues when replacing the meters with issues like people having taken a separate spur off the incomer to power their showers (i.e. bypassing the meter!). Highly illegal but they got away with it for years. He gave a few other examples like that too so not just one or two rare occasions.

So, that's one additional side effect to the meter changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Really dumb question, but if someone can please remind me...

We were on a D/N tariff, now have a smart meter - we can choose either a smart or D/N tariff when we renew? Or do we need to go with a smart one?

You can stay on DN or a smart tariff.

But once you leave DN, for a smart you can't go back.

Caution needed, electric Ireland, when people renewed put people on a smart 24 hr tariff. Because they offered smart insights or something.

Energia now also have a smart 24 hr and a smart DN. With " smarts". Could be seeing more of this going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What is the reason why chaning to SM tariff is a one way trip? Is this just a symptom of bad regulation?

If i can get a new smart day night meter and want to continue to reduce my day units bu shifting to night use and night rates why would the suppliers actively prevent me from benefitting

No idea the reason, but that's what was decided. The old mcc01 and mcc02 meter codes are being "retired"

New ones are mcc12 (30 minute interval readings) and mcc16(still 2 months, possibly still manually read in places reception is poor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Ok so when i get my new Day Night smart meter... Will i have the freedom to switch easily between tariffs without this weird one way restriction? Actual choice of day night versus smart "standard" or whatever they call it

Advertisement