Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Re opened for humanitarian aid later today apparently.

Nothing to suggest it won't be hit again.

Why not simply make Gaza a province of Egypt, fully integrated, with all the rights and responsibilities of Egyptian citizenship?

What's in that for Egypt apart from a very expensive messy problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No; Egypt doesn't want Gaza. From 1948 until 1967 Egypt ran Gaza. Once Hamas took over, Egypt put up a border and only allows people to cross. I think if Egypt would take over Gaza and be responsible for its citizens, Israel would gladly cede to to Egypt. But, Egypt doesn't want anything to do with Hamas, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm sure I read somewhere today that hamas objectives have been met and they are ready to talk 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have an acquaintance on Facebook who is very pro Hamas and is originally from somewhere out that direction. He used to live here, and train here (how I met him) and now lives in Italy so you would think he has some western values in him by now. Nope.

His profile picture now has a man on a parachute coming into Jerusalem and he is over the moon about what happened. That’s the big plan.

Victim blaming is huge for him and he has his supporters. The Rave was referenced and he felt what did they expect organising a peace rave, half naked (his words) in the desert at the beginning of a war (his words). As far as he is concerned, Hamas did no wrong and all the Zionists needed killing. He felt it’s wonderful that Hamas took more territory in one night than Ukraine managed in its war, laughing about it. This is just beginning and they truly don’t care about human life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Similar to how many south of the border wouldn't touch the terrorist cesspit of N. Ireland and all its economic/social problems with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

very cool thats theres a good few posters on here with this view of their own countrymen and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭wandererz

This!!

Exactly why I lost all faith in Islamists.

It's totally an "us against them" mentality.

Hence the reason there are so many people causing uncalled for trouble in western cities across the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

This is true but you also have to factor in that Gaza is basically all civilian areas its not exactly like there's any 'military' areas.

In as much as you obviously can condemn Hamas for their choice of the option to harm civilians you can also apply the same to Israel in that they have the choice also.

There is the more difficult and potentially costly option for them to insert ground troops to target Hamas and limit civilian casualties that way given they control all routes into Gaza. But they choose to use airstrikes that they know will result in civilian casualties.

In my opinion both choices made by Hamas and Israel are morally wrong and to be condemned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Police in Australia looking into chants of gas the Jews, same as the Guards should be looking into the desecration of flowers etc for the victims of Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Inserting troops will bring casualties there is no way to completely avoid it ,

The guards here investigate public anti-semetic acts? Weill they ****!

They'd be far more eager to charge someone for accidentally using the wrong pronoun.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

There is an intense dishonesty on the part of the most vocal cheerleaders for each "side" here and in wider public discourse. Neither can admit or will admit the utterly rotten bloodlust which coarses through their "side". To do so is considered an act of unforgivable "disloyalty". No real truth or light can emerge from such an environment.

But any objective reading will say there is a festering historical and contemporary sore here where one "side" has and continues to suffer more than the other. The other "side" uses the great historical outrage that was perpetrated against it as justification for the oppression of an other. That cannot be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m not taking “sides” and I’m ignoring people who do simply because it will just be arguments going around in circles.

For me, the frightening part is the language and rhetoric of both sides- Hamas appears to be as evil as ISIS - Israel is obviously going to now attack a small area with a lot of people and kill many of them. Essentially history has brought us to this place - even if Israel defeat Hamas, what then? There’s another terrorist organisation in the wings somewhere. And so it continues- I don’t have answers- I can appreciate how both sides have come to this moment but we know the only way forward in the long run is the difficult path of peace talks .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How many jdams does Israel have? Because currently 1 JDAM = 1 destroy apartment block in Gaza. It's basically a fastrack to levelling the place. It's kinda crazy to think Israel can do this when trump isn't even the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe that they have over 20,000 of them and the kits to convert other bombs to jdams

There's something very distinct about this conflict, though.

There seems to be an obsessional focus on Palestinians as victims and Israel as the evil aggressor.

But why don't we see the same reaction against China, which has effectively imprisoned 1 million Muslims.

The Chinese government has imprisoned more than one million people since 2017 and subjected those not detained to intense surveillance, religious restrictions, forced labor, and forced sterilizations.

Where are the marches against China? Where is the intense hatred of China? Why is China treated very differently to Israel?

The only reason I can come to is that Israel is a Jewish state, and it's the religious dimension, and anti-Semitism itself, that largely fuels the hatred far more than otherwise would be the case. Hamas itself declare that the entire land of Palestine must be cleared of Jews; an openly genocidal statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The Gaza Strip is 41 km (25 mi) long, from 6 to 12 km (3.7 to 7.5 mi) wide, and has a total area of only 365 km2.

There used to be only tens of thousands of Muslims there, now there are 2 million - and growing rapidly.

Pity they could not settle in the huge huge surrounding counties of Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc - except the rapidly growing populations of those countries do not want them either. I wonder why.

With the Democrats it seems be me the party elite are the ones most pro-Israel, while with the republicans the politicians are mainly led in this regard by the opinions of their evangelical grass roots voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

John mcguirk has more in common with the average Irish person than Paul Murphy, McGuirk is a centrist, it’s just centre right views are so rare in Ireland these days in public commentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Huge Israel military build up this morning. Some reporters from different news agencies over twenty years covering the middle east have never saw such a force build up. For the ordinary people in Gaza seeing these images have to be terrifying. 1500 Hamas/Isis fighters have been found on Israel territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perhaps it's due to the nature of it.

The Palestinians have a voice. They have people who emigrated across the globe as we can see from the protest videos and news reports. They have gotten the liberal left on their side over many years.

The Uighers however don't have a voice. They are suppressed more forcefully and their friends & families are threatened if they speak out.

On another note, why haven't any of the other Islamic countries raised their plight as a matter of concern? They are Muslim's after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

My brother spent two 6 month tours in Bagram air base, and they had a miniature version of Iron Dome.

For the first few days he was jumpy (he was a civilian so no military experience) when he heard mortars but he just got used to them being shot down pretty quickly.

On the conflict both sets of people are being let down by their leaders; the extremism on both sides feed each other and make any type of dialogue more and more unlikely. Hamas will be empowered the more vicious the treatment by Israel and vice versa.

There isn't enough land to go round is the main problem. Outside of sub Saharan Africa Israel is unique (especially among western nations) in that it's population is growing, circa 3 children per adult female. Add that to arriving Jews and the need for land and housing is only going to grow.

The empowerment of the far right and their view that this is "their" land is a substantial driver.

This will only get worse with potential to grow quickly into a wider conflict.

Western leaders should as much as possible seek to restrain Israel's response if only out of self interest. The winners in an escalation are Iran, Russia and China as they will thrive in the chaos and distraction.

Obama, Biden, Sunaik etc haven't done that to date.

Which, if true, is a significant number.

Reports estimate that Hamas has a membership of 20,000 - 25,000 fighters.

Israel is an extremely paranoid state when it comes to national security, they can’t simply go all peacenik or what happened Saturday would happen repeatedly, the Arab world is not a live and let live kind of place

the settlement building needs to stop and America needs to make this clear but this issue is far from all about Israeli aggression, mid east Muslims have a major hang up about Jews and mid east governments show no sign of addressing this

re_ the horrible pictures of Palestinian victims of air strikes , the Saudis have been dishing out the very same treatment to the innocent people of Yemen for several years now , humans are absolutely vile to one another

to someone like paul Murphy , anyone to the right of Trotsky is a fascist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Not paranoid enough going from Saturday's evidence.

It’s a curious thing how Israel is viewed as a poster child of right wing governance by the left in many countries, outside of Israel, Jews are traditionally the most lefty / progressive activist folk you can think of

israel has a lot more in common with the views of most Irish progressives than anywhere else in the mid east , only one country in that part of the world is a friendly place for LGBTQ folks , guess which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I think it's more that the Palestinians were adopted as a cause by the European left (and indeed much of the centre) back in the 1970s.

Now however the main expression of Palestinian resistance is radical Islamicist fundamentalism, backed by the Palestinian people, the European left hasn't adjusted to that new reality.

I mean let's face it, Hamas would happily slaughter all our of ungodly kafir selves...yet we seem to want to cling to them as a cause. They want an Islamist theocracy and the murder of all Jews. Bizarre really that European liberals can still somehow explain away supporting such people.

Advertisement